thredUP Complaints

thredUP Ratings

thredUP Reports

Most Recent thredUP Complaints

Is thredUP a Scam, Rip Off, or Fraud? WARN OTHER CONSUMERS By Sharing

Category: Clothing Websites Directory ListingThredUp Inc ListingResponse From Company

Hate being taken advantage of

I was told to try ThredUp as a way to make some extra money for the old clothes I have or clothes I never wore with tags. I usually just donate but figured I needed extra money and a lot of stuff I had was fairly new or in good condition. I thought it was great that they send me the Clean Out kit free of charge and I don’t need to pay for shipping.

I then send the items back in. It took a while for them to process my bag. Then when they finished and items sold, I received only a small payout amount for each item. Items would sell for $15 for example and I would only receive like $0.35.

How is that fair?

I work hard for my money and hope to get fair market value back for the items sold, but instead they completely undercut you. I don’t think I would recommend them to anyone anymore after being screwed over so many times.

I sent in about 6 bags with items that still had tags on it and only got back about $30 for everything. That’s absurd. I should have received at least, if anything, $50 a bag depending on what was in each one, not $30 total.

Never again.

Only thing they seem to be good for is donating clothes because you can get a tax receipt back with the weight of all your items. However, even that you need to keep track of what you send so you can write down a fair value of those items for tax purposes.

Official Responses from thredUP

By: Alex Schernig On: February 8, 2013

Jacalyn Moehrle was awarded the $10 referral credit she was concerned about on 2/1/2013. This compliant was registered while our team was researching the issue and trying to understand how the credit was applied to the wrong account. We apologize for the delay in issuing the credit. We hope this is a reasonable resolution for Jacalyn and that this closes her issue.

15 Most Recent Reviews About thredUP

More About thredUP

Thredup Recommerce Company

Submit a Complaint or Review For thredUP

83 Comments on "thredUP"

Will never purchase from these people again. TOTAL false advertising on TV. Still waiting on a store credit. Excuse was they where understaffed. They received returned items and now saying it can take another2 weeks just to give me a store credit? This is a very poor performing company ,service sucks.

My idea of this company has really changed. I donated my first bag 3 to 4 years ago and I really felt the payout was decent. I sent in about $100 worth of retail clothing and made $20 or $30. Totally reasonable for resell/consignment clothing. However, the last two bags I have sent in (this year 2017) have literally given my PENNIES back (sent one in July made $8 off of $130 retail). I recommended this company to my Grandma who is on dialysis, had a stroke, can’t work, and is looking to make a few extra bucks. We sent… Read more »

Thieves! And they taunt you by notifying you each time they make 95% profit off you!

conmen and ponzi scheme behavior.

Its a joke, my bag payout is extremely low and the shipping of $10.99 is way too high. Plus there was a tampon, yes a tampon, in the pocket of a sport coat I ordered from them. They are ripping people off and the processing time is absurd. It would be better to just donate the clothes.

i had chewed gum in a purse i ordered that was TRASHED; forget selling anything to them as yu get pennies and they collect BIGTIME!

I sent in a bag worth roughly $400, a month later, I get an email of the items they will sell and what they can’t use, they came up with spot on item – NOT TRUE – but ok, keep them and give them to a good home, the items they can sell ARE SELLING and I AM ACATUALLY GETTING NOTIFICATIONS OF MY ITEMS SELLING 1 FOR $20, ANOTHER FOR $15, ANOTHER FOR $10 and more and more like that – they have made at least $100 off of me and what did I get for it, $3.40!!! you can’t… Read more »

Highway robbers and con-men! I hope others see our complaints.

DO NOT fall for their lies. They tell you that they will give you good money for your items and then they nickle dime you to death. Once they do sell an item of yours, they get paid right away, yet you have to wait 2 weeks for your small amount and then they charge you 2% more to collect it. I sent them more than $3000.00 worth of brand new dresses with the tags still attached. They tell me 2 months later ( that’s how long you have wait ) that they couldn’t use anything. Funny, since I went… Read more »

keep up the complaints; this company is a CON ARTIST/Ponzi Scheme. we are victims.

They’re THIEVES…simply put. They’re not worth my spending 1 more minute of my time telling my experience with them. Guess that’s what I get for being so trusting!!!

keep complaining! we are bound to make progress at some point. THIEVES; they are rip-off artists and actually claim to be “responsible” environmentally.

you took my bag of clothes worth in retail 800.00 you people are thieves. and Im still waiting for my clothes to be sent back to me

My daughter sent 2 VERY heavy bags of NICE clothing to Thredup. One bag was her clothes and the other VERY NICE little boy clothes… top brand names of clothing and shoes. Well, she got a 99 cent store credit for all of it. I would think that they will make Thredup a good $1000. It makes me SICK to my stomach that they will get away with this, making all kinds of money from this and my daughter gets 99 cents. We would have TOTALLY given these clothes away to the needy if we knew this was to happen.… Read more »

so sorry for your loss; i feel stolen from, too. my payout was 36 cents!

I’m done with ThredUp. I bought a name brand purse. It arrived with wrinkles in it, so I assumed that it would even out over time, but no luck… it’s not a natural fabric, so I’m not sure that it’s safe to iron… oh well!

I submitted 14 items and majority had tags for items, I had purchased within the last twelve months and I only received $20.00. I had majority named brand clothing and even Levi jeans with tags. 2 Banana Republic dresses with tags etc and I regret ever sending in my items to them. I feel I was ripped off and will advise anyone do not send in your items. It took around a month to even process and the bag was full.

Recently sent two large bags of gently used brand name clothes to Thred Up. I was terribly disappointed in the time it took them to process my bags. It took seven weeks to get their “fair” valuation of my clothes, another two weeks to be able to cash out either by gift card or through PayPal and an additional two weeks to receive the gift card so that I was deducted another 2% by PayPal. This is an 11 week process. Additionally, one of my FULL bags was valued at $1.21 after the cost of the bag was deducted. They… Read more »

sent a large bag in over 2 months ago still haven’t heard a word from this company is this for real.

I sent brand new shoes to thred up Michael Kors Jessica Simpson and the wanted to give me the grand total of $13.93 for over ten pairs of shoes. I told them to just send my stuff back I would rather donate to Dress for Success at least I know women are being helped instead of scammed

did you get your items back?

Clever scam…….I don’t think it started out this way.. Your bag fee has gotten so high. It eats most of the “pay out” for the clothing sent to you. And when you add it up, financially, it makes more sense to just donate ALL clothes to AMVETS or the Salvation army because they give you a tax credit FAR LARGER than your little goofy pay outs ( after so much work done on this end). Then I imagine, YOU donate to charity, the VOLUMES of things you do not keep, so YOU GET HUGE HUGE TAX CREDITS and this is… Read more »

Actually I worked in a Salvation Army Store once. A lot of stuff comes in the back door an leaves the same way. Never makes it on the floor. The money goes to the next town over. I was disgusted and quit. Now my donations go to two local thrift stores where the money stays in the community.

Thred UP, I’m fed up, never again. I sent them prob $400 of clothing in excellent condition, a lot with new tags. It took them over 6 weeks to even acknowledge that they received the bag. I did not make $.10 and if I want any returned I have to pay a shipping fee. I’ve already paid $9.99 for their clean out bag. SCAM, I would rather give to the needy.

My interaction with this company) or rather my inability to contact this company has been extremely frustrating to say the least. Sent several messages to support and was directed to the password reset page which doesn’t work,. I’ve tried many times. Have purchased and sent in beautiful clothes that no longer fit. After reading the reviews regarding what they off in “store? credit I wish I had given them to a shelter instead. Great scam, wonder how long they will last.

What a scam. A sent in a bag with good and new items after sometime it was processed. My grand total $23.00 but wait out of the 23 a $10 were ducted with brought me to the great amount of $13.00 I sent in Steve Madden Shoes Carlos Santana shoes and a few pair for Michael Kors shoes along with Coach purses. OMG I feel like they came into my house and robbed it. WHAT A DARN SCAM

Loss of over $300.00
They paid $2.85 for a Cole Hahn handbag, like new, a new Calvin Klein blazer, a pair of born sandals, worn once. And several other nice pieces. .And I waited 2 months for this insult. Do not waste your time, donate to a charity and take a take deduction. NOT WORTH IT!

The processing time is ridiculous, and now they just extended it 3 more weeks, by the time it gets processed the clothes will be out of season. I don’t understand why Thredup has had all of this good media attention. I guess the people writing these magazine articles don’t bother to check the reviews.

I am right now very nervous about a purchase I tried to make last night. I was at the check out screen, and after putting in my credit card info, it came up as invalid! I tried another card and the same thing happened, stupidly, I tried another card and the same result. I immediately tried to contact the company. This morning I received an email saying that they would get back to me. My husband called the 3 credit card numbers and they told him they were good. Now I am nervous that they, (ThredUP) have 3 credit card… Read more »

That just happened to me! It said my card was invalid but my bank statement showed that I was charged for my “purchase”. I emailed the company but so far I received an automated text response. Did the company follow up with you? I am also worried they have my card information and money. I really want my money refunded and my account deactivated now.

I sent a full bag of beautiful girl’s clothes. Name brands and some never worn. Was extremely disappointed to only have 3 accepted and the rest consignment. I could have donated the items and done a lot better. Never again.

I always wanted to shop on the website but I have to login. I am very fine with this except for the fact I have to play these little “games” to verify that I’m not a robot. This is very confusing and irritating! I have spent 20 min trying to figure out to solve this. Please fix this issue for I am not able to shop because of the fact of your stupid robot verify!

As did I. I still can’t solve the problem.

I USED to swear by three up & referred many people!! Deeply disappointed in their current changes! They now charge $9.99 bag fee! Last bag I sent was full of top brand name clothes some with tag on & was notified the whole bag was worth nothing more that $8.80, which means a whopping zero to me after the bag fee charge!! I would have rather dumped these items at the Salvation Army, at least there I know would have been bought by people who wanted brand name clothes at a good price and to a company that provides jobs… Read more »

Same thing happened to me. I used this company when they first began and couldn’t say enough good things about them. This time around i sent 3 and so far; my bag was only worth $5 and I got “0” due to the bag fee. I am so disappointed in this company.

I had a similar experience selling to thredup. Huge bag of high quality items netted me eleven dollars. Bought two pair of size eight jeans. They neglected to add that the jeans were eight petite. Returning both pair and I have to pay shipping. Ridiculous. Never again!