thredUP Complaints

thredUP Ratings

thredUP Reports

Most Recent thredUP Complaints

Is thredUP a Scam, Rip Off, or Fraud? WARN OTHER CONSUMERS By Sharing

Category: Clothing Websites Directory ListingThredUp Inc ListingResponse From Company

ThrewUP - What a RIPOFF

I sent 3 bags that were so full I had trouble carrying them. They were full of good quality items. I am about to make an international move so I was quite ruthless in determining what to send.

2 months later I get an email to say the first bag has been processed, and the new – with tags items have been swiped for upfront payout of – wait for it… $16! Including a bag full of Missoni for Target stuff, with tags and a jumpsuit I bought at Xmas for $378. Again, never worn, with tags.

Seriously – it’s an insult to my intelligence as well as a big fat waste of time and effort.

I own a brick & mortar vintage store, an etsy store, and used to sell on Vinted, and another online site that has since closed. I treat my customers like family – that’s why I have a successful business.

This experience is a blatant exploitation – nothing more. Do not send your clothes to ThredUP – you will regret it.

Official Responses from thredUP

By: Alex Schernig On: February 8, 2013

Jacalyn Moehrle was awarded the $10 referral credit she was concerned about on 2/1/2013. This compliant was registered while our team was researching the issue and trying to understand how the credit was applied to the wrong account. We apologize for the delay in issuing the credit. We hope this is a reasonable resolution for Jacalyn and that this closes her issue.

15 Most Recent Reviews About thredUP

More About thredUP

Thredup Recommerce Company

Submit a Complaint or Review For thredUP

50 Comments on "thredUP"

I always wanted to shop on the website but I have to login. I am very fine with this except for the fact I have to play these little “games” to verify that I’m not a robot. This is very confusing and irritating! I have spent 20 min trying to figure out to solve this. Please fix this issue for I am not able to shop because of the fact of your stupid robot verify!

As did I. I still can’t solve the problem.

I USED to swear by three up & referred many people!! Deeply disappointed in their current changes! They now charge $9.99 bag fee! Last bag I sent was full of top brand name clothes some with tag on & was notified the whole bag was worth nothing more that $8.80, which means a whopping zero to me after the bag fee charge!! I would have rather dumped these items at the Salvation Army, at least there I know would have been bought by people who wanted brand name clothes at a good price and to a company that provides jobs… Read more »

I had a similar experience selling to thredup. Huge bag of high quality items netted me eleven dollars. Bought two pair of size eight jeans. They neglected to add that the jeans were eight petite. Returning both pair and I have to pay shipping. Ridiculous. Never again!

I will never again send anything to thredup. After processing my last bag they said my payout was only $2.70. Most of my things sold on their website immediately, and they lied about the prices of the items, which was ridiculous because I could clearly see what each item sold for. I tried to direct my complaint to them, but they were no help at all. Beware of them, and I see I am not the only one complaining. So I would definitely think twice before sending them anything. For what they pay you would be better off donating.

I sent a bag full of very good nearly new clothes They said they allowed me I think $18// dollars I checked my clothes and nearly all had sold for nearly $300 What a RIPOFF

I have been trying to reach thredup to return a dress that is within their 2 week return policy but the website does not give me an option to return my dress – it says there is nothing in my account. I have called them, emailed them twice, tweeted them, and NO ONE is getting back to me. I am really starting to think this company is a scam! I want someone to answer me and no one is!!!

When you pull up their home page you will notice three horizontal lines next to their name at the top left-hand side of the page. Click on those lines and a whole list will come up. Click on ORDERS and proceed from there.

I’m glad to know I’m not the only one that has an issue with this trash company. I only wish I had done my research & found these complaints first. I sent 2 full bags of clothes, one bag of NWT items with a total retail value almost $1000…. My upfront payout was $15… SO far the “consignment” sales has come to $1… Yea that’s right A DOLLAR!! This is the most insane, appalling ridiculous experience I’ve ever had. I would’ve kept everything & sold them on my PoshMark store if I knew this was the BS I was going… Read more »
I stuffed my Polka Dot bag full of name brand clothing (a lot of Anthropologie, Ann Taylor Loft, etc) all of which were in great condition. The items they accepted were ones I had seriously considered giving to Goodwill and were from Old Navy, Gap, Kohls…lower end brands. The ones that disappeared into their black hole of “not accepted” were all my high end name brands. I only sent them to Thred Up thinking I would try and sell them and make a few $$. If I had realized Thred Up did not want them, I would have kept them… Read more »

I must be very easy to please….I have had a wonderful experience…..the purses I bought were in perfect condition and perfect for the upcoming KY Derby. I haven’t sold anything…don’t plan to….i donate to a women’s shelter….

Have been trying to return dresses that do not fit. Only have 14 days to return and still unable to get on the site for the return slip. Would not send any one to this site!!!!! What a joke 79.00 lesson learned

I sent a bag of mostly new items three months ago and have not been given a response this not a good bisnwss practice I would never recomend this company

So after sending an overstuffed bag to thredup full of designer clothing–chico’s, ann taylor, gap, banana republic, etc., and not hearing from them for several months, I placed a call and their rep told me that due to the overwhelmimg number of bags the rec’d, they didn’t get to mine yet. Finally, I get an email telling me I netted a little over $2 total, after they charged me for shipping the bag back to them!! Then, they have the nerve to taunt me with emails “congratulating” me with items of mine they sold, while telling me although these items… Read more »
As a point either in addition to, or instead of, many brands are not listed here, and a bigger percent of the clothing in the home is “used”. North Americans throw away 26 BILLION POUNDS of clothing every year. (over 70lbs per capita). That is a staggering number. So while this site touches on a few select, and even more selective processes to resell, thrift brick and mortar stores generally don’t have the same restrictions. ANY form of reusing this 95% recyclable category we call clothing, is commendable. for whatever Thred Up does not accept, please consider the rest as… Read more »

What a rip-off!
Sent bags of new items (my kids never got to wear) they sent me $13.10
Sold alllllll items for a total of 149.53!!!, had the nerve to let me know when the items were sold…..never again…this is bull*%$#!

not happy with the results sent my 3 months ago no reply

This is a complaint I will never deal with this company again They took it upon themselves to domnate my clothes without contacting me that they were not accepted Bad business Bad customer service… If a company like this wants to stay in business they should conduct themselves like a business I will be reporting them to the better business bureau

It’s a total rip-off. Quality is not as advertised. I returned clothing and requested a refund. Only to be told they could only issue a credit. After looking for several months, I could not find anything I wanted. In addition, I would have to pay shipping charges . It’s a complete rip-off! Lost $ 21.00. They are “racking in the dollars!”

I too wish I had researched this before sending 3 bags of high end clothing – @ MONTHS AGO !!!! They rake off the new stuff with tags for upfront purchase and give pennies on the dollars. $16 for a bag I had trouble closing. Seriously ? Including a new with tags $278 jumpsuit from last Xmas season. I am terrified about the other two bags I sent (which included a Jimmy Choo purse). Theres no recourse available to remedy either. AWFUL ! DAYLIGHT ROBBERY ! WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY ! D O N O T S E N… Read more »

I never signed up for thred-up…..never heard of it. Please do not send me another email…..it’s garbage!

Total Ripoff!!! Not only did I wait almost 2 months for them to process my bag, but they only gave me $27 and of that $10 they kept for shipping! They then sold my items for triple the amount! What a horrible company!

same thing; crooks.

Should have checked out the reviews before I sent my clothes. I used to own a women’s plus size clothing store and recently closed it and had merchandise left over so I sent about $500 wholesale price worth of clothes. They were supposed to consign everything and instead purchased my items and gave me $7.00 for all of it. Some of the items were in several sizes and they posted on their website different prices, different descriptions and different retail prices for the same item. They have not returned any of my emails, the phone number listed for them is… Read more »
Good Idea, BAD BUSINESS!!! I heard about ThredUp from a friend and immediately ordered 2 bags. I sent one on Jan. 31 and the next on Feb 14th. The February bag was processed within 2 weeks – I was shocked when I only got $31.70 for a bag packed with Lands end and other name brand clothing. I have been emailing them about the other bag and they are totally playing dumb with me about it. At first they told me it had been sent elsewhere for processing and then they told me they were behind due to volume. I… Read more »
I recently ordered a dress, leather coat and boots for my daughter. I recieved them today and the box is DESTROYED. I mean soaking wet, torn and crushed with clothes exposed. (I have pictures) The clothes were just thrown in the box with no protection. My daughter is devastated and I am so disappointed. There is no one to call, the “chat” is unavailable. No one to help solve this issue. Such a shame. I really was hoping this experience would have been a start of a good relationship. At least my followers, friends and family can be warned so… Read more »

I sent a bag full of clothes -some with tags– including DVF wrap dresses, Trina Turk pants and dresses, a brand new Tory burch Robinson bag, lily dresses, BCBG sweaters but they were NOT accepted….all the other crap from crap stores… they took. And worse yet….they overpriced everything. Don’t don’t don’t don’t don’t. Scam scam scam.