thredUP Complaints and Reviews

Phone Number: 617-575-9676
Corp Email: media@thredup.com
Company Contact: James Reinhart - CEO

Is thredUP a Scam, Rip Off, or Fraud? WARN OTHER CONSUMERS By Sharing

Hate being taken advantage of

I was told to try ThredUp as a way to make some extra money for the old clothes I have or clothes I never wore with tags. I usually just donate but figured I needed extra money and a lot of stuff I had was fairly new or in good condition. I thought it was great that they send me the Clean Out kit free of charge and I don’t need to pay for shipping.

I then send the items back in. It took a while for them to process my bag. Then when they finished and items sold, I received only a small payout amount for each item. Items would sell for $15 for example and I would only receive like $0.35.

How is that fair?

I work hard for my money and hope to get fair market value back for the items sold, but instead they completely undercut you. I don’t think I would recommend them to anyone anymore after being screwed over so many times.

I sent in about 6 bags with items that still had tags on it and only got back about $30 for everything. That’s absurd. I should have received at least, if anything, $50 a bag depending on what was in each one, not $30 total.

Never again.

Only thing they seem to be good for is donating clothes because you can get a tax receipt back with the weight of all your items. However, even that you need to keep track of what you send so you can write down a fair value of those items for tax purposes.

Official Responses from thredUP

By: Alex Schernig On: February 8, 2013

Jacalyn Moehrle was awarded the $10 referral credit she was concerned about on 2/1/2013. This compliant was registered while our team was researching the issue and trying to understand how the credit was applied to the wrong account. We apologize for the delay in issuing the credit. We hope this is a reasonable resolution for Jacalyn and that this closes her issue.

15 Most Recent Reviews

More About thredUP

Thredup Recommerce Company

Comments

100 Comments on "thredUP"

Thing is, people need to think their clothes are worth more than they are. People miss stains and such or don’t realize some of the styles are current. I don’t take stocks in reviews like this.

Thanks for the heads up, I was considering selling to them but after reading the reviews I will stick to selling my designer items to The Real Real. I have never had an issue with them and have been happy with the payout and as a plus… you get a direct phone number of a real real person!!

Usually the saying is Buyer Beware, But this one is SELLER BEWARE! This is definitely a scam. Sent in several full bags with designer women’s and brand name children’s clothes. Received $25 for everything! It sounded like a good idea to be able to clean out closets and sell items for a working mom to make a little money. It took weeks to process the bags and then when the items did sell most of profit came out for shipping the bags. Complete Rip Off, don’t waste your time.

i dont blame you. this is the my first time checking them out. thanks

Still waiting for items I purchased on 12/12. I too received emails with bogus tracking numbers – this seems to have happened to many customers. I also had the frustration of “chatting” with service rep Angel who simply left the conversation after I asked for further info. Funny how ThreadUP did manage to successfully ship me a clean out kit. And funny how neither of the two packages comprising my order (from opposite sides of the country) have arrived. Funny, but I’m not laughing.

THEY GIVE OUT WRONG TRACKING NUMBERS NOT ONCE BUT TWICE SO U R SCREWED IF U DON’T RECEIVE PACKAGE AND NO CONTACT NUMBER EXCITED FOR CHAT AND SHE GIVES ME WRONG TRACKING NUMBER–WHAT KIND OF BUSINESS IS THIS???? ANGEL SAYS COMING THROUGH BY UPS ALL TRACK NUMBERS 4 UPS START WITH Z POST OFFICE LOOKS UP BOTH TRACK NUMBERS BOTH R WRONG–THANK GOD I HAVE A GREAT ATTORNEY!!!!!

I GET BLOUSE IN MAIL BUT THE LARGE ORDER THAT I PAID 60 DOLLARS TRACKING NUMBER IS WRONG CHAT WITH A PERSON SHE GIVES ME ANOTHER WRONG TRACKING NUMBER CALL UPS THEY SAY ALL OUR NUMBERS START WITH Z LOOK ON MY ORDERS ACCOUNT IT HAS A CHECK MARK ON DELIVERED–I TOO GIVE A BAG OF BRAND NEW CLOTHES AND I GET 2.85 CENTS STUFFED LARGE BAG WHICH I COULD HAVE SOLD FOR .50CENTS A PIECE AT MY HOUSE AND MADE A LOT MORE BUT LESSON LEARNED NEVER TRUST A COMPANY THAT YOU CANT CALL!!!!!! I HAVE BEEN A CUSTOMER… Read more »

As everybody else I thought it was a good idea to make some money of clothe that I don’t use that often. The pay out was 10.80 out of 13 pieces listed and others like Hugo boss pants, ralph Laurens, true religion jeans that they recycle . Don’t ever give your clothe to them. I am trying now swap to see how it goes. SCAM

I came down a few sizes so sent my too large mostly new to this rip-off compamy. Took over 4 months to find out what was going on which I had to keep checking on – I then saw a credit posted for $12.50for my bag of name brand clothes. SO FURIOUS! CONTACT OUR Better Business Bureau and report them if this happened to you!

BIGGEST SCAM Ever

consumer cooperative ????????really????????????????? the only cooperative here is their pockets —-cooperating to fill their pockets these people are graft artists—— a dollar on an item they get 18 dollars on…. I DON”T THINK SO THese people should be arrested.. Chiefly when considering the pubic they are taking the product from Families who are just trying to make ends meet. This is greed with no conscience. I only wish the greatest evil on all of them. But from what is going on in discussion rooms, I suspect they had better have exceedingly good security by their sides. All the execs. Several…… Read more »
Thread Up is a SCAM on the west coast they don’t have a phone number or a message send page for their Dissatisfied Customers everything is robot questions prepared and answers too they sell used items that are Over Price as if they were bought New Shoe Boots cost was $347.oo don’t list who is the Sellers information of these used old outdated items.I aman attorney recommend to all Consumers when Buy online check with BBB and example type Name/Review like this sample here AliExpress.com/Reviews to see what happen with theirCustomersOrder,ShipmentDelivery,Payments,Returns-Refunds-Exchanges,Return Shipment Cost etc. You should read SELLER Disclaimer mentioned… Read more »
There have been suits filed against the criminality of this company… They continue to laugh all the way to the bank My advice…..PASS THE WORD AS MUCH AS YOU CAN. STAY AWAY FROM THEM AT ALL COSTS.. THEY ARE PROFESSIONAL CON ARTISTS.. THEY ARE CLEARLY TAKING ADVANTAGE OF A PUBLIC IN NEED OF MAKING A FEW DOLLARS ON ITEMS … REIIMBURSEMENTS ARE NORMALLY ONLY 35 TO 95 CENTS AN ITEM… NO MATTER WHAT THE ORIGINAL COST…. PLEASE PASS THE WORD AROUND TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW. THEY ARE CRIMINALS.. EITHER THEY’RE PAYING OFF ANY SERIOUS GRIEVANCE OR MORE LIKELY THE IMMEDIATE… Read more »

I plan to find out if this firm is registered by the BBB or Consumer Affairs Bureau or we can all get together and sue these crooks who do not pay you. Let me know if you want to file a suit against them. My email is lenita.hill@yahoo.com. We could put them out of business at least if we all got together.

I was told to try ThredUp as a way to make some extra money for the old clothes I have or clothes I never wore with tags. I usually use eBay but is hard to take time out for listing and there fees are horrible but compared to this place they look good!! Most of my stuff I gave was fairly new or in good condition. I thought it was great that they send me the Clean Out kit except when you do the 9.99 expedite bag. Then when they finished and items sold, I received only a small payout… Read more »

We should all get together and tell the Bureau of Consumer
affairs or file a class action lawsuit against this dreadful company and at least put them out of business. I owned a store like this one and always paid people and let them know what the item was sold for. Contact me. Let’s take some action.

I am a first time customer and a last time customer. I purchased a new pair of Women’s size 8 Ugg boots from the site, only to finally receive my box. Inside, was a pair of toddler Ugg boots, they don’t even fit into my hand. I have sent repeated emails and messages, tried to chat, with no response from the company. I have no phone number to call. This is not the way I do business. How do you even set up a return if you are unable to reach anyone? I am completely frustrated.

Will never purchase from these people again. TOTAL false advertising on TV. Still waiting on a store credit. Excuse was they where understaffed. They received returned items and now saying it can take another2 weeks just to give me a store credit? This is a very poor performing company ,service sucks.

My idea of this company has really changed. I donated my first bag 3 to 4 years ago and I really felt the payout was decent. I sent in about $100 worth of retail clothing and made $20 or $30. Totally reasonable for resell/consignment clothing. However, the last two bags I have sent in (this year 2017) have literally given my PENNIES back (sent one in July made $8 off of $130 retail). I recommended this company to my Grandma who is on dialysis, had a stroke, can’t work, and is looking to make a few extra bucks. We sent… Read more »

Thieves! And they taunt you by notifying you each time they make 95% profit off you!

conmen and ponzi scheme behavior.

Its a joke, my bag payout is extremely low and the shipping of $10.99 is way too high. Plus there was a tampon, yes a tampon, in the pocket of a sport coat I ordered from them. They are ripping people off and the processing time is absurd. It would be better to just donate the clothes.

i had chewed gum in a purse i ordered that was TRASHED; forget selling anything to them as yu get pennies and they collect BIGTIME!

I sent in a bag worth roughly $400, a month later, I get an email of the items they will sell and what they can’t use, they came up with spot on item – NOT TRUE – but ok, keep them and give them to a good home, the items they can sell ARE SELLING and I AM ACATUALLY GETTING NOTIFICATIONS OF MY ITEMS SELLING 1 FOR $20, ANOTHER FOR $15, ANOTHER FOR $10 and more and more like that – they have made at least $100 off of me and what did I get for it, $3.40!!! you can’t… Read more »

Highway robbers and con-men! I hope others see our complaints.

DO NOT fall for their lies. They tell you that they will give you good money for your items and then they nickle dime you to death. Once they do sell an item of yours, they get paid right away, yet you have to wait 2 weeks for your small amount and then they charge you 2% more to collect it. I sent them more than $3000.00 worth of brand new dresses with the tags still attached. They tell me 2 months later ( that’s how long you have wait ) that they couldn’t use anything. Funny, since I went… Read more »

keep up the complaints; this company is a CON ARTIST/Ponzi Scheme. we are victims.

They’re THIEVES…simply put. They’re not worth my spending 1 more minute of my time telling my experience with them. Guess that’s what I get for being so trusting!!!

keep complaining! we are bound to make progress at some point. THIEVES; they are rip-off artists and actually claim to be “responsible” environmentally.

you took my bag of clothes worth in retail 800.00 you people are thieves. and Im still waiting for my clothes to be sent back to me

My daughter sent 2 VERY heavy bags of NICE clothing to Thredup. One bag was her clothes and the other VERY NICE little boy clothes… top brand names of clothing and shoes. Well, she got a 99 cent store credit for all of it. I would think that they will make Thredup a good $1000. It makes me SICK to my stomach that they will get away with this, making all kinds of money from this and my daughter gets 99 cents. We would have TOTALLY given these clothes away to the needy if we knew this was to happen.… Read more »

so sorry for your loss; i feel stolen from, too. my payout was 36 cents!

I’m done with ThredUp. I bought a name brand purse. It arrived with wrinkles in it, so I assumed that it would even out over time, but no luck… it’s not a natural fabric, so I’m not sure that it’s safe to iron… oh well!