Over the course of history, people have been subjected to con men who have tried to scam money from people in a variety of methods. In the past people have tried to sell property that they did not own, tried to sell shares of stock that they do not own, sell medicine that promises to cure everything and many other kinds of scams. With the past efforts to scam money, it was important for people to be alert to the possibility of fraud.
In today’s world, fraud and scams still exist. However, the types of scams have changed along with the times. Instead of face-to-face scams, the use of technology have brought about the new type of fraud: online scams and Internet fraud. With these types of scams, the con men now can hide behind the anonymity of the Internet instead of being revealed to potential victims.
Online scams and fraud can take many different forms. Some of the ways that criminals attempt to defraud victims include through the use of fraudulent emails, phishing, pharming, identity theft, and many more methods that scam unsuspecting victims. The common thread to these types of fraud attempts is that through online methods the criminals look to fool potential victims into doing something they should not do. These include accepting a fraudulent check and wiring money to the criminal, providing personal financial information and many other common methods to con consumers out of money.
While con men have been in business for decades, the one way to stop them is to be wary of online attempts. Consumers need to use caution when dealing with the unknown, and should check out the validity of any email or contact, before acting. We hope this information is helpful for all of our readers in being safe from online scams and fraud.
Online Scams Defined
- Online Scam Information – Helpful page which provides a summary of different types of online scams.
- Internet Fraud – Informative web page from the FBI which discusses what is Internet Fraud.
- Common Online Scams – Article which provides information on some of the most common online scams.
- Internet Fraud Definition – Web page which provides a simple definition of Internet fraud.
Internet Fraud Types
- Types of Internet Fraud – Article which summarizes the different types of Internet fraud that are commonly used.
- Common Types of Online Fraud – Information on some of the common types of online fraud.
- Fraud Online – Helpful article which provides information on the topic of online fraud.
- Identity Theft – Informative page which provides the public with information on the growing problem of Identity Theft.
- Email Scams – Web page which provides information on five common email scams which are found.
Common Online Scams
- Top Online Scams – Web page which provides a description and brief summary of some of the top online scams.
- Internet Fraud Information – Informative site which discusses many of the common online scams that are currently circulating.
- Internet Fraud Tips – Tips and information on Internet fraud and how to prevent being a victim.
- Email Scams – Listing of the top ten Internet and email scams.
- Online Scams – Helpful page providing information and descriptions of different types of online scams.
- Prevention Tips – Informative page which gives consumers a number of helpful fraud prevention tips.
- Internet Fraud Prevention – Common sense prevention tips for consumers on how to avoid being a fraud victim.
- Prevent Online Fraud – Article which contains useful tips on how to prevent online fraud.
- Consumer Resources – Page which contains a number of informative links about Internet fraud and prevention.
- Internet Fraud – Informative page from the Justice Department which covers a number of topics about Internet fraud.
- Online Fraud Resources – Resourceful guide for consumers about online fraud.
- FTC Web Scams – Information and helpful links from the Federal Trade Commission to help protect consumers from scams.
- Fraud Avoidance and Reporting – Helpful page which talks about avoiding fraud and how to report instances of fraud.
- Online Resources – Informative web portal of information on online activities including how to be safe online.