Outdoor Architects of Maryland Complaints and Reviews

Columbia, Maryland USA

Phone Number: 410-245-7417
Corp Email: mstorch@outdoorarchitects.com
Company Contact: Mark Storch - Owner

Is Outdoor Architects of Maryland a Scam, Rip Off, or Fraud? WARN OTHER CONSUMERS By Sharing

Drained My Wallet... But Not My Backyard!

On March 31, 2015, I contracted with Mark Storch of Outdoor Architects to install a drainage system in my backyard. The contract estimated a start date of June 1, 2015 and completion date of July 15, 2015. Mr. Storch had done two prior hardscape designs in the past, at my previous home, with good results. I had also discussed with Mr. Storch installing a patio and doing some other landscaping work along with the drainage system installation. I had requested that the drain installation be done earlier in the spring, because I had planned for the patio to be installed, closely followed by an underground sprinkler system. However, Mr. Storch was too busy with other landscaping jobs to combine the patio installation with the drainage installation. Mr. Storch told me that he would only be able to do the patio work sometime later in the summer, with no definite start date.

Therefore, since Mr. Storch could not accommodate my patio installation request, I informed him, that I had contracted with another landscaper to install the patio, so that I could have the sprinkler system installed on July 13, 2015. This meant that Mr. Storch was loosing out on contracting for landscape work, that would have netted more than $10,000-$15,000, in addition to the cost of installing the drainage system. Mr. Storch’s crew installed the drainage system on June 3, 2015. The total cost of the installation was $1500.

On June 9, 2015 I contracted with Matt Gately of Gately Scapes to install my patio.
Mr. Gately began the patio installation on July 2, 2015. During the installation process we noticed a strong feces-like odor coming from all three of the drains that Mr. Storch installed. Upon examination we discovered black water was filled to the top of the drain boxes with a mold-like substance growing on top of the water. Mr. Gately also showed me that the drain pipes had not been attached properly to the drain boxes and there had been no flow of water through the drain since installation on June 3, 2015. More, importantly, Mr. Gately showed me that there was no swale in the design of the drainage system. The pipe was almost flush with the rest of the lawn, leaving no pitch in the line for the water to drain. The lack of water flow created the stagnant water and mold growth.

I called Mr. Storch, and sent him pictures of the area. He informed me that he would send out a foreman. I then went on the internet to educate my self about how the drainage system should have been installed. I then decided that since Mr. Storch’s workers had performed such non-trade standard work, I did not trust that he would perform the work to trade standard the second time around. I notified Mr. Storch not to send his foreman to my property again, and stated that our business was completed. I then asked Matt Gately to replace the entire drainage system according to trade standards. Mr. Gately charged me $1200 to correct the sub-standard job that Mr. Storch’s workers performed.

I have initiated a Better Business Complaint against Outdoor Architects. I paid $2700 in total, to resolve my backyard drainage problem. I am requesting full reimbursement in the amount of $1500 from Outdoor Architects, as the work that they performed on June 3, 2015 was substandard.

Comments