“customer service”: One hour and fifteen minutes with no resolution - magicJack

Jen: Hi, my name is Jen. How may I help you?
Elizabeth K: My MagicJack isn’t working – when I pick up the phone, there’s no dial tone.
Jen: I see
Jen: May I know where the device is plugged in ?
Elizabeth K: I tried turning off the router for three minutes (did that several times) still nothing
Jen: i see
Jen: May I know where the device is plugged in ?
Elizabeth K: Give me a sec… I’ll look
Jen: Okay, sure
Elizabeth K: ether net port at back of router. It’s always been plugged in there, and it hasn’t been disturbed.
Elizabeth K: I checked our account – paid until Jan 2017…
Jen: Okay.
Jen: May I know what telephone set are you using? is it corded or cordless?
Elizabeth K: cordless.
Jen: I see.
Jen: One moment please…
Jen: Please follow these steps.

1. Disconnect the battery from handset(s)
2. Disconnect Phone Cord from Magicjack
3. Disconnect Phone cord from base unit
4. Disconnect AC adapter from wall outlet
5. Allow to sit for 3 mins.
6. Reconnect Phone Cord to base
7. Reconnect Phone cord to magicjackjack
8. Reconnect AC Adapter to wall outlet
9. Reconnect battery into handset until you click or feel the plug snap
Elizabeth K: Ok. You want to wait, or shall I get back to you if this doesn’t restore service
Jen: I can wait
Elizabeth K: OK
Communication with the Oracle Service Cloud Chat service has been lost. Please wait while attempts are made to restore the connection.
Jen: Take your time.
Elizabeth K: No luck
Jen: Okay.
Jen: Can you change the power adapter instead? You can use your iPhones charger.
Elizabeth K: I don’t have an iphone charger; I charge through computer
Jen: i see.
Jen: Have you tried plugging the device on the computer?
Connection resumed.
Elizabeth K: No. But I have a power adapter to charge my my camera. Interestingly, the Magic Jack charger has none of the required markings typically found on all electrical devices….
Elizabeth K: OK, tried different charger…. no luck
Jen: Okay, I guess we need to try fixing it using your computer
Elizabeth K: Ok, what to do?
Jen: Plug the device on your computer.
Elizabeth K: what about the plug to the back of the router?
Jen: Just plug the device directly to the usb port of your computer.
Connection resumed.
Elizabeth K: OK. now I get a dial tone. So it seems that it works…. let me try making a call
Elizabeth K: OK, I can access my voice mail, so I suppose it works….. as long as it’s plugged into my computer directly??
Jen: Yes, please.
Elizabeth K: Yes, please what?
Connection resumed.
Jen: Can’t you just keep it plugged into your copmputer?
Elizabeth K: No, I bought the little device so that I don’t have to keep it plugged in to my computer.
Elizabeth K: Also, keeping it plugged into my computer means that I have to keep my computer plugged in all the time – not good for the battery. Also, can’t receive a call if not plugged in.
Elizabeth K: Sorry, not an option
Elizabeth K: seems to me. I need a new Magic Jack plus unit. Do you agree?
Elizabeth K: Hello?
Jen: yes,
Elizabeth K: What are your thoughts?
Jen: But we no longer offer the magicjack plus.
Jen: We have new device offered.
Jen: The magicjackGO and Magicjack Express.
Jen: You can visit our official website at www.magicjack.com to check the products and its p[rices.
Elizabeth K: Fine; send me one that gives the same capability. That is, one that connects to the back of my router.
Elizabeth K: Prices? I paid for this one and it’s not working. Please send a replacement.
Jen: Please wait while I check that for you
Elizabeth K: Thanks, Jen
Jen: Sure..
Communication with Jen has been lost. Please wait while attempts are made to restore the connection.
You will be requeued in approximately 1080 seconds.
Communication with Jen has been restored.
Elizabeth K: Are you still checking?
Jen: yes
Jen: here it is
Jen: We have determined you need a replacement device, but your device is outside the one year warranty. We charge a fee of $24.95 to ship a replacement device to your US address. (Only if applicable, and an additional $6.00 to ship your replacement to a Canadian address.) When you receive the replacement, just plug it in and you will be prompted to select the device you wish to replace. Your remaining time and telephone number will automatically transfer.
Elizabeth K: Jen, I paid for the device once. I’m not going to pay twice for the same device. Furthermore, the thing weighs less than an ounce…. $24.95 to ship???
Elizabeth K: Please send a replacement. Free.
Elizabeth K: Jen, I don’t mean to be impatient, but we’ve been chatting for a long time. The issue han’t been resolved.
Jen: I am sorry Elizabeth, you purchased the device long time ago. It’s already outside warranty. And that is the policy for the replacement of the device outside warranty.
Jen: As much as I wanted to help, sorry but I have no control for the charges of replacing the device.
Elizabeth K: I don’t care what the ‘policy’ is – I have one of my own: I don’t pay twice when the item breaks.
Elizabeth K: Then kindly connect me to the next person in charge. Thank you.
Jen: Okay
Jen: Please hold, I am transferring you to a senior agent.
Elizabeth K: Thanks again, Jen
Jen has disconnected.
Carmella: Hi, my name is Carmella. How may I help you?
Elizabeth K: Hi, Camelia. Chatting with Jen, it seems she’s determined that my MagicJack power adapter is bad. I need another.
Carmella: Hi there.. Welcome to the Higher Level of Support. Please hold for a moment. Let me read your chat with your previous operator so that I can assist you right away, Thank you.
Carmella: Thank you for patiently waiting Elizabeth , To clarify, is your MJ Device is currently connected to your computer?
Elizabeth K: Yes. Seems it’s the only way I can power it.
Carmella: Is it okay with you if we will check your device first for us to properly check the problem
Elizabeth K: Ok course; please do.
Carmella: Please follow this steps for me
Carmella: Please click Apple Icon then choose on “About this MAC” under the top left hand corner of the screen, a small window will appear. Click on “More Info…” and then “System Report…”.
Connection resumed.
Elizabeth K: I don’t see anything marked system report…
Carmella: May I know what you see there?
Elizabeth K: Three main headings: Hardware, Network, and Software
Elizabeth K: Under each main heading are other sub-headings, but nothing called system report
Carmella: May I know if you click the About this MAC?
Carmella: May I know if you click the About this MAC?
Elizabeth K: Yes, I’m telling you what comes up in the info box
Carmella: May I know if you are using USB Extension cord the time you plug in your MJ Device connected to your computer?
Elizabeth K: Yes, it’s 3″ long.
Carmella: I see. Please remove the USB Extension cord you used then please plug in the MJ Device directly connected to the USB Port of your computer.
Elizabeth K: Why? The phone is working using the extension.
Carmella: Is the dial pad up on your computer screen?
Elizabeth K: Yes, it appears when I plug in to the computer. But now there is a dial tone – the phone is working – so, I dial from the phone.
Carmella: I see
Carmella: Thank you
Elizabeth K: I believe I need a replacement power adapter.
Carmella: When it is connected to router, is there a blue, green and yellow lights?
Elizabeth K: It’s been plugged into the router for quite some time, and it’s always worked. The router and/or connections have not been disturbed. MJ works if I plug into my computer, but does not when I plug into the adapter and connect to the router.
Elizabeth K: Therefore, I believe I need a new adapter.
Carmella: Yes Elizabeth since it works fine connected to computer and no worries, we will replace your power adapter and you may get a replacement by just login to your account then hover your mouse to SHOP tab then click Power Adapter.
Elizabeth K: ….and it’s a FREE replacement, yes?
Carmella: No need to pay for the adapter, its free only, you only have to pay the shipping cost of $5.39 and we will send it to your address
Carmella: It will be on Express Shipping and will typically be delivered in 2 – 4 days after shipment.
Elizabeth K: Sorry, I don’t think that’s entirely satisfactory to have to pay to mail a replacement for the one that died – I already paid for it, and I think it should be sent for free.
Elizabeth K: Off the subject, how long has his ‘chat’ been going on?
Carmella: As much I can give you a free replacement only Elizabeth but I can’t since its already in magicjack policy..
Elizabeth K: I have a policy too. When I buy something that fails, I either get a full refund or a free replacement.
Elizabeth K: Your choice.
Elizabeth K: ….how long have we been chatting?
Carmella: I understand your situation with this Elizabeth and you agreed the policy of magicjack before you used the device , Please CLICK HERE : http://www.magicjack.com/action/saps?language=
Carmella: Aside from this, is there anything else you want to add or clarify?
Elizabeth K: You didn’t answer; how long has this chat lasted, in minutes?
Carmella: I assist you 25 minutes
Elizabeth K: …and how long did I dance with Jen? another twenty-five minutes?
Carmella: 30 minutes in Jen
Elizabeth K: So, I opened the link you sent. Please direct to me to where it says that if the adapter fails, I have to pay to have a replacement sent…
Carmella: Please CLICK HERE : https://web04.magicjack.com/my/ind… (URL deleted by me – Eliz.)
Elizabeth K: ?? this brings me to my account page
Carmella: Yes Elizabeth , you need to login first for you to proceed on replacement
Carmella: I will guide you on that
Carmella: Are you login now?
Elizabeth K: OK… yes, I am
Carmella: Do you see SHOP Tab above
Elizabeth Kt: Yes..
Carmella: ?
Carmella: Hover your mouse to SHOP Tab then in dropdown list click Power Adapter
Elizabeth K: Yes, it’s in cart
Carmella: Click Add to Cart then click Checkout
Carmella: click Checkout Now
Carmella: Then follow the steps to complete the order
Elizabeth K: Yes. I see a $5.39 charge.
We already discussed this, didn’t we?
Carmella: Yes, Please click Complete My Order
Elizabeth K: If I do, then my credit card on file will be charged, yes?
Carmella: Yes
Elizabeth K: NO.
Carmella: The order will not be completed without the card on file
Elizabeth K: Look, Carmella, how many times do I have to repeat?
Elizabeth K: You will either issue a free replacement and pay the shipping, OR issue a full refund to the card on file.
Elizabeth K: ….and if we keep going, we can cancel the MJ subscription and you can give a full refund for that, too.
Carmella: No Elizabeth , in Terms of Service in magicjack, there is a replacement fee for power adapter
Elizabeth K: Sorry, Carmella. Please bump this up to the next level of management.
Thanks for your help.
Carmella: You are now chatting a manager Elizabeth and I am the last person who you can chat with
Elizabeth K: Then give me a phone number to speak with a person. This ‘chat’ this is tedious.
Carmella: We only do as chat support here, we do not have a Phone number yet that can use to call.. and Please be inform also Elizabeth that Our annual license fee is extremely inexpensive, enabling consumers to reap substantial savings. magicJack devices contain small electronic components like other electronic products they could become damaged. Our warranty processing fee helps recover our costs to program, process and ship the replacement, unlike other carriers who may recover these costs through their monthly recurring fees or paid insurance plans.
Elizabeth K: Your replacement costs were already calculated into the price of the device. These are made in China for a cost of ~ 14 cents each.
Elizabeth K: Back to the problem. I functionally don’t hav the service I paid for. If you won’t work with me, cancel my MJ subscription and give me a refund to the card on file.
Carmella: I understand your situation Elizabeth and there is nothing we can do here since its already in magicjack policy with regards on warranty replacement and the license of your device cannot be refundable since the license is already used from its original purchased
Carmella: We can only refund the license as long as you did not make any calls yet from the time you place an order of the license
Elizabeth K: OK, thanks for checking, Carmella.
I’ve cut & pasted this entire conversation for use in online forums regarding Magic Jack customer service and support. It’s a good read, and I think it could serve as ample warning that Magic Jack purchases cheap Chinese equipment, and then when it burns out, charges you to help “recover your costs” (another term for double-charging).
Carmella: Please be inform that the main cause of power adapter why it got damage because of shorcircuits, sudden power outages, et.al
Carmella: Is there anything else I may help you with today?
Elizabeth K: Carmella, if there were any short-circuits, it would be in the device itself. There are no moving parts, and I’ve repeated myself at least four times – it has not been disturbed. It simply quit working, Chinese POS that it is.
Carmella: It cannot be damage without a cause Elizabeth ”
Elizabeth K: Yes, the cause is likely that it’s a cheaply-manufactured component.
Carmella: That is not true since you used your device for long years
Elizabeth K: Long years?? What exactly are you talking about?
Carmella: You’re device registered last 01/21/2013 and there is no problem with the device and it may cause that there is a power outage happened
Elizabeth K: You’re really stretching for a reason to not accept responsibility for your cheaply-made device which prematurely FAILED.
Carmella: I understand your situation and I respect your decision .. Is there anything else I may help you with today?
Elizabeth K: Yes, send a new adapter to replace the one that FAILED. Or, refund the full price AND cancel my subscription with a full refund. (By the way, this is really going to be an interesting read on the MJ forums…)
Carmella: I repeat myself Elizabeth, there is nothing we can do here for free replacement power adapter because its already in magicjack policy with regards on warranty replacement, you need to pay for it and the license of your device cannot be refundable since the license is already used from its original purchased. We can only refund the license as long as you did not make any calls from the time you place an order of that plan
Elizabeth K: I repeat myself, Carmella: MJ failed.
Send adapter (free) OR cancel service and issue full refund. Or put me in touch with next level of management – no more chatting.
Carmella: I am a manager here and I am the last person who you can chat with
Elizabeth K: No more ‘chats’ – put me in touch with your manager
Carmella: I believe that I have already provided you all the information needed; I would like to ask permission to end this conversation with you. Thank you.
Carmella has disconnected.

For magicJack Representatives or Owners

Comments About magicJack Review: “customer service”: One hour and fifteen minutes with no resolution