ThredUP

Thredup.com SnapShot

Last Updated On: July 22, 2016

ThredUP Contact Information

Business Name: thredUP Inc.
580 Market St 4th Fl

ThredUP Ratings

ThredUP Reports

Most Recent ThredUP Complaints

Is ThredUP a Scam, Rip Off, or Fraud? WARN OTHER CONSUMERS By Sharing

Category: Clothing Websites Directory ListingthredUP Inc. ListingResponse From Company

Don't sell to Thred Up

I sent about 30 sweaters and jackets in pristine condition to ThredUp. All of the brands and styles were approved. They do NOT communicate. It took 6 weeks to finally see anything on my account. I was shocked to find that they only accepted 5 out all of what I sent. I had opted not to pay the 12.99 to get my items back because I just knew what I sent would be accepted.

ThredUp only credited my account with 19.26 for those 5 items but I could not get the money because the minimum pay out was 20. I sent emails trying to find out what happened as many of the rejected items were duplicates of the accepted ones. I finally got someone to respond and was told they just had too many of those particular items and would not be able to sell them. When I asked about how to get my money I was told I should be able to get a visa card even if it falls below 20. When I went to my account to do this, the entire thing had been wiped clean of any history. I no longer had any items listed as being sent in and the 19.26 credit was gone. I have been sending emails trying to get some sort of response to no avail.

Apparently, if you are dissatisfied and complain ThredUp just erases you instead of trying to help you fix it. And there is no phone number so you can’t call.

Official Responses from ThredUP

By: Alex Schernig On: February 8, 2013

Jacalyn Moehrle was awarded the $10 referral credit she was concerned about on 2/1/2013. This compliant was registered while our team was researching the issue and trying to understand how the credit was applied to the wrong account. We apologize for the delay in issuing the credit. We hope this is a reasonable resolution for Jacalyn and that this closes her issue.

Most Recent ThredUP Reviews

Consumer Comments For ThredUP

• Erica Del Gallego

All my items were counterfeit. They were “marked down” from $200 but I later found them on ebay for $5 each. They also marked them as “Final sale” soy they are not returnable. Basically robbing you in the face. I went out of my way to ask them before buying if the items might be counterfeit because they were so marked down. They said that wasn’t possible so I went ahead and bought them. After I showed the items to them on ebay, they said I could return them. But thanks to their return policy , and the fact that they marked the items as “Final sale” I can’t return them. After that they blocked my chat box. Its robbery

• Amanda

I’ve been using ThredUP for a while now, and have loved it. The first bump in the road was with my most recent order, which was maybe my fifth or sixth one. I decided to return three of six items and have been very very busy (my wedding is in two weeks). The day after I got the box, I went online, initiated the return, and printed the package info, but I didn’t get back to it for 9 days. I went to mail it, and realized that it says on the package slip that I had to mail it within a week of initiating the return. They say that you can decide whether you want to return your items within 14 days, but as soon as you do that, you need to get your package in the mail within a week. I only had 8 days total to get my package in the mail, but I thought I had 2 weeks. Now my only option is to sell this stuff that doesn’t fit back to them. I emailed their customer service two days ago, and they haven’t responded. There doesn’t seem to be a phone number, but I’ve read their FAQs pretty thoroughly. After spending hundreds of dollars, we’re down from 5 to 3.5 stars, and I’m down $40.

• Caitlin Shupp

They ‘accepted’ 20 items and offered me $18. Ridiculous. 90% had never been worn and retailed for $40. And they took over a month to process the offer. Will never use.

• CATE

PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PEOPLE…. YOU NEED TO BE VERY VERY AWARE OF THE PAYOUT POLICY HERE…. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR 3-7 DOLLARS FOR A BAG FULL OF ITEMS THIS IS THE PLACE TO GO…. NO MATTER WHAT THE LABEL IS… BE EXTREMELY CONSUMER CAREFUL.. THIS IS NOT A SITE IN WHICH YOU WILL BE ABLE TO RECOUP ANY MONEY. IF A BAGFUL OF J. CREW ONLY GETS YOU A LITTLE UNDER 7 DOLLARS…..ON PURCHASES THAT WERE MADE WITHIN THE PAST TWO YEARS… AND THE ITEMS PURCHASED WERE NOT WORN OR BARELY WORN, (INITIAL INVESTMENT OF 629.00), then by ALL MEANS SEND YOUR THINGS IN. THIS IS NOT A SITUATION FOR GETTING BACK MORE THAN 3-5 PERCENT OF YOUR UPFRONT ACQUISITION COSTS. ONLY SEND VERY VERY LOW LEVEL ITEMS.

BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE… NOTHING OF NOTABLE VALUE SHOULD BE SENT HERE .. IF YOU PAID OVER 4 DOLLARS FOR SOMETHING…. DO NOT…REPEAT…DO NOT SEND IT IN

• catinacat

They Took My Clothing. I sent a bag full of Items, only a few of them were listed for sale. The missing items were like new, a brand new fit and flare dress from Eshitki $80.00 and a pair of brand new wedge gingham sandals from Lands End. $60 I did not expect to get retail for these items, but I did expect them to at least be listed for sale. I feel like I was scammed. They should not be trusted.

• Leslie Wendle Wiebe

This happened to me. Their site is filled with absolute crap brands of clothes that are old and worn-out looking, so when I sent in my next to new, currently fashionable items, I thought it would be a no brainer that my stuff would be accepted. With my stuff I sent a pair of high end shoes one year old and worn once and they weren’t accepted and disappeared. I’m sure someone there is wearing them as I type. YES, THEY ARE A SCAM. AND THEY HAVEN’T HEARD THE LAST OF ME.

• Abigail

I sold to ThredUp and they gave me on average $1 per item even items new with tags and in-style. I would never sell to them ever again. When my little sister saw the payout of $4 they gave us back for two bags of clothes, she nearly cried. Trust me, I didn’t expect a huge sum of money, but $4 was just insulting. And since I know they rip off sellers like me, I would NEVER purchase anything from them knowing it’s at the cost of someone else’s misery. Don’t bother, don’t do it.

• SheLovesDeals

I will never sell anything on ThredUp but all of my buying experiences have been wonderful! Items are promptly shipped and arrive neatly packaged.
    What I don’t understand is why are people sending new clothes with tags on them to an online second-hand clothing vendor?? If you have high end clothing, purses (Michael Kors, Coach, etc), just sell them locally on neighborhood swaps or return them to the store. If they have tags still attached, you will at least get a store credit. It makes no sense sending your high end purchases to ThredUp.

• Julie Irwin Sanders

Complete rip off. I am so very sorry that I ever even came across this site, as I have only lost money- and have nothing but one DEFECTIVE, unwearable item to show for my money (there were clearly 2 holes in a “like new” sweater I purchased – defects that were not disclosed at time of purchase. unfortunately for me, the item was a “final sale.” Had I known I was purchasing a defective item, I certainly would not have taken any chances on a “final sale”!). 2 other items fit poorly; another item, a dress, would have needed repaired in order to wear, as the lining hung out on one side of the dress- a defect NOT included in the fabulous description (or picture posted they posted). When I returned those items, I requested Thredup credit, rather than a refund ONLY because they stated that shipping would not be charged if a customer chose credit over refund. However, they don’t credit you the money spent on shipping in the first place…so I am out an additional $10. Add that to the $10 defective sweater I am stuck with, I have now lost $20- with absolutely no product to show for it. BUYERS BEWARE!!!

• Alisa

I can’t speak to selling clothes to ThredUp, but buying has been a
    pretty good experience for me so far. The clothes are in good
    condition, are as described, and are packaged nicely. My one complaint
    is that order processing and shipping is a bit slow compared to other
    online buying experiences.

** You can get a free $10 towards your first purchase at ThredUp through this link: http://www.thredup.com/r/ZFCJYY

• Angel

Agree with Cate. Thredup accepted 36 items and I received just over $60 for the lot. This included five dresses – two of which were never worn and originally retailed for app. $80 each, the other three worn once and also retailing originally for $80. Big disappointment. I had enjoyed purchasing a couple of times prior to this experience but now that I realize I’m benefitting from someone else who has been taken advantage of – I don’t think I want to have any more dealings with TU.

• Cate

Be very,
    very careful.. Send only low to mid priced product. DO NOT SEND ANYTHING HIGH END> YOU WILL ONLY LOSE> THE SYSTEM IS NOT SET UP TO MAKE YOU ANY MONEY>> IT IS A CLEARLY PROFITABLE SYSTEM FOR THEM> SHARING IS NOT IN THEIR LEXICON

• swabby429

I tried to skim their website so I could get a rough idea about what the company does, how it works, etc. A registration window comes up that won’t close. I refuse to join anything that I cannot investigate ahead of time.

I Googled the name and came up at this site. I’m glad I didn’t fill in the registration boxes.

• Jose Miriam DeLeon

Oh, my I wish I would have looked at the reviews here before buying from ThredUP.
    My first order was missing an item and so far no on has responded to my emails or phone call. Not a good way to build your client base.

• I just tried Thredup for the first time and it is definitely the last time, it has taken them two months to sort and decide what my payout will be, now it will be another3[4 weeks before I get my money AND get this…it’s in the form of a PayPal payout which means I will be paying 2% to PayPal because Thredup doesn’t write checks! What a rip off, no wonder there have been 255 complaints to the Better Business Bureau about this company.

• Cate

And many more coming… thankfully actions are being taken. The BBB is very well aware of them. Group of tech guys who figured out a way to make themselves very wealthy at the expense of people sending in good clothing… often new with tags. STAY AWAY. The BBB is in active pursuit of them and of their activities. Watching them very closely.

• Peggy

I sent a bag in Feb all new clothes still haven’t gotten paid anything yet, Keep getting emails items have sold.
    They sell your clothes and it takes months to get paid. Will not do it again ever!!!

• Ellen J. Brown

I have tried to unsubscribe from this company maybe 10 times and still their e mails keep coming. I just left a message on their corporate phone number.

• Marsha

OMG! I am so addicted to ThredUp! I’m in complete agreement with Kristin and Crystal! Everything is as described, nicely packaged and returns easy. The prices are fabulous, why go elsewhere?? My closet is now full of summer maxis, the only thing I need is summer to be here! Have placed 2 orders today alone. Yep, I’m a shopaholic…..

• Pw Ebb

This is without a doubt a planted bot comment.

• Kristin

I can’t speak to selling clothes to ThredUp, but buying has been a pretty good experience for me so far. The clothes are in good condition, are as described, and are packaged nicely. My one complaint is that order processing and shipping is a bit slow compared to other online buying experiences.

However, the best thing is that you can get a free $10 towards your first purchase at ThredUp through this link: http://www.thredup.com/r/ZFCJYY

• crystal

I have been a buyer at Threadup for about a year now and have had a great experience so far and amassed an amazing collection of designer clothing. Although I love buying from them I would never bother selling because its not worth it and its not just them but all companies that do this type of consignment. I have never found one that gives you more than mere pennies for your clothing so you are better off selling on Ebay or having a yard sale for that matter. That being said I do have to defend them a little here after reading a few of the complaints. First of all you cant go wrong with ordering from here because it is truly risk free. I have on many occasions printed off their free shipping labels and sent my unwanted items back to them completely free of charge and other times I have paid the small postage fee and had my money returned in full. I have never had a problem making a return yet, in fact it is the easiest place ever to return an item. Also I see some complaints about items not being as described but damaged and this is just not true at all. On every listing there is a description that details anything wrong with the item. They are actually very consistent and careful about this and I have never had any issue at all with damaged items. I have ordered a lot and the worse thing Ive ever seen was maybe a small snag or some minor fading, but never anything major. I don’t think they even sell anything with any real damage. All in all this is a great shop with some great deals. You wont be getting anything at Goodwill prices because they sell only the best brands with minimal damage, but you will get much better deals than buying these brands new, a much better deal.

• Anna Sharples

Yes. Thredup

is a fraud and so is Swap.com I will never buy from either of these two companies again. I sent swap a box of clothes and they lost the box of clothes I sent them. Just Lucky they were’nt new or expensive. We can always take them to small claims court and they will lose big. I’ve taken a clothes company like this to court before.. The judge looked at me and said “How much money do you want”?. I scored! As long as you have pictures and the postage info plus any communication between the two parties. I plan on filing against ThredUp. Always take pictures of what you send them!! Always! Yes they both are sleazy greasy salesmen. Just like a copy of used car lot sales, but it’s clothes they are stealing and selling at the customers expense.

• Tuesday Fleming

Ordered a pair of BOC boots in the category under women’s shoes and boots, size 9, was sent a child’s size 9 pair of boots. Had i had known this is what i was spending my money on for pair of women’s jeans, and two women’s shirts, plus what i thought was going to be a very nice pair of women’s boots size 9, that my entire order was well over 80.00, that i could not wait to receive as a late Christmas present for myself, i would have never even ordered the boots had i known that this was placed into the wrong category and should have been placed in the kids clothing and shoes category instead of the women’s clothing and shoes/boots category, i would have never even ordered them. Sitting here left shocked and stunned and totally dissatisfied! Buyer Beware, you will not always receive what you think your getting, or even the clothing that you are choosing in a certain category can often times be a child/toddler size instead of a women’s size. There is no real way of ever actually knowing what you are paying for and buying, it is always a great risk. Be careful, money is to hard to come by these days to be spending it on items that you thought you were ordering and come to find out you receive your item in a child/toddler size 9 instead of a women’s size 9. Chalked up as money flushed down the toilet.

• JillM

A Coach bag used twice was sent to them. They rejected it and said it would be re-purposed. Extremely disappointed!

• THATgirl

I had two coach bags re-purposed because they claim I didn’t respond to an e-mail asking for the $12.99 return fee. I NEVER got an e-mail asking for the $12.99. SCAM!!!

• challyj

DO NOT SEND THEM NEW OR NICE THNGS! I sent beautiful things, some new or hardly worn and they credited me with 80 cents! I will be entering a formal complaint against them as soon as I decide where it will be most effective.

• Lynda Cooksey

They paid me $11 for 6 items (avg. little over $2 per item) and are selling them for $66. (Avg $11 per item). Most were new with tags. I feel like this is much too slanted toward their profit. I’d have been better off donating and taking the tax write-off.

• EVELYN GAU

RIP OFF …RIP OFF…..BE CAREFULL….THEY REALLY ARE FRAUD….I CAN NOT BELIEVE…SEND NEW CLOTHES AND THE JUST KEPT THEM….RIP OFF…..

• Rebecca

I was going to buy from this site as some of the clothes I like are rather hard to find. After reading the reviews, I think I’ll pass. Always pays to research first and once again this has paid off for me.

• crystal

Don’t believe everything you read because you might miss out. I am in no way affiliated with them, but I have been a customer for over a year and I have a closet bursting at the seams with amazing designer clothing from them and Ive never had a problem. If I get something I’m not crazy about I send it back by printing off a free shipping label and I get the credit, no problem. Now selling on the other hand I wouldn’t bother as it is never worth it at these type of places.

• CATE

YOU ARE A PURCHASER…. THE PROBLEM HERE IS FOR SELLERS.. THAT IS WHAT IS BEING CHIEFLY DISCUSSED. TO PURCHASE IS PROBABLY A GOOD THING …. THOUGH THEY ARE THE CHIEF BENEFICIARY… A 3 DOLLAR REIMBURSEMENT TO THE CONSIGNOR AND THEN AN 88 DOLLAR LISTING ON THEIR PART IS NOT WHERE PEOPLE SHOULD BE SENDING BETTER ITEMS… THE ONLY ITEMS THAT SHOULD BE SENT HERE ART LOW, LOW LEVEL, PURCHASED FOR UNDER 3 OR 4 DOLLARS. ANYTHING ELSE BECOMES ROBBERY FOR THE CONSIGNOR

• Maggie

I ordered what looked like a very cute top at a reasonable price. It wasn’t until after I had already paid by Pay Pal that my receipt showed the top to be “slightly flawed). Why didn’t they tell me this in their description of the top. This is deceptive…….

• Roxann Holtman

I just sent in a full bag of designer clothes and so far I am getting $18. For them. This is a big rip off, they didn’t even list but half of my clothes I sent. They was all in perfect condition. Will never do this again….

• Susan

Why doesn’t everyone file complaints about this no good company
    with the Better Business Bureau?

• kathy

They are probably a BBB member and if that’s the case BBB will always side with them NOT you. BBB is as big of a scam as Thredup

• Dee South

I have been shopping with them about 6-8 months. I read the horror stories so I do not consign with them, I have been mostly very happy with items i have received. My big complaint is their customer service sucks, and having experienced this as a shopper I do not trust them enough to know that if we have a disbute over an item I want to consign that they will be easy to work with, and that is from what I have personally experienced with their return policies, so your up the creek with a broken paddle if theire is an issue..

• Nancy

Thank you for sharing your complaint. I was about to send in some of my designer purses, so glad I didn’t. I received an email “James” the CEO of the company asking why I have not yet purchased or ordered. It pays to read reviews, do your homework and check these new sites out!

• Roberta

I’m not a fan of ThredUp. They have lousy customer service, and other issues. However, in your case, Chad, you were trying to teach your children how to make money by selling clothes but ThredUp is the seller, not your children. Have your children sell clothes on consignment, not give clothes to a consignment shop to sell for them. See the difference. As for trust, that’s highly over-rated.

• laura_ward

Chad, thank you for sharing your story. I am sooo sorry for your children! You did everything right and so did they. I was just about to place an order as I have never used this site. Thanks to your review, I never will. How awful.

• Debra Ernst

I to was just bagging up stuff to send to them and I have now changed my mind.Most of my stuff is new with tags and I’m not willing to lose the cost of those item’s.Why can’t these places be honest.What about twice as nice, has anyone tried them

• Tina Cain

I sent them the bag back so full I could barely close it. I sent everything new with tags. One of the items was a skirt priced at 69.95. Draper’s and Damons blouse talbots and JMS and. Rue21 Brand new dress. Christopher Banks too. And the grand total for what I sent was 1.25. Is that a slapin the face or what? I will never go on this site again. Thanks to this experience. Don’t fall for it.

• ma roggon

What good are you if you have a million rules?