ThredUp Reviews

ThredUp Reports

Most Recent ThredUp Complaints

Is ThredUp a Scam, Rip Off, or Fraud? WARN OTHER CONSUMERS By Sharing

Category: Clothing Websites Directory ListingResponse From Company

ThredUp is Absolute Robbery!

I came across Thredup and thought the site was a great idea. I had been cleaning out my closets and was planning to sell at consignment store or on offer up, but this seemed like a perfect way to sell my clothes. I shipped 2 overflowing bags of clothing. It took over a month to see that it was even processed.

Once I saw the payout of $14.00 I almost died and thought there had to be some mistake. For the first bag, they accepted 32 pieces, and like I said these bags were too big for me to carry. The post man came and got them from me. You can actually see what exact pieces they are selling, what has sold, and for how much they are pricing it at.

I went through each item line by line. As of yesterday items had been sold for a total of $107.86 and the remaining items they’re selling of mine ads up to $157.80. I almost punched my computer screen.

Today I received an email that the second bag had been processed and my payout was $11.90. They accepted 26 items from this bag. I didn’t go through the pricing because I knew it was just make me crazy. And now after spending hours at this website, I found in fine print that they can pay you as little as .5%. For example, they sold a blouse I sent in for $13.99 and got $0.29.

I know I’m rambling but I feel like I have been robbed and I want everyone to know that this is their practice. It would have taken more effort but I could have gotten way more if I would have sold it on Offer Up or to a consignment store.

I have written in several complaints and have not received a response. I could not find a phone number. On their contact page it only had addresses and email. Live and learn I guess, but I will be destroying there name any way I can.

Official Responses from ThredUp

By: Alex Schernig On: February 8, 2013

Jacalyn Moehrle was awarded the $10 referral credit she was concerned about on 2/1/2013. This compliant was registered while our team was researching the issue and trying to understand how the credit was applied to the wrong account. We apologize for the delay in issuing the credit. We hope this is a reasonable resolution for Jacalyn and that this closes her issue.

15 Most Recent Reviews About ThredUp

Submit a Complaint or Comment For ThredUp

• Cathy M Kopicz

Agreed I am in the process of reporting the company to the BBB – can anyone provide me with an address and phone number – please and thank you

• Theresa

Shady, sketchy, misleading, BEWARE!
    What do you think they’d pay for a huge bag of Designer jeans/True Religion, Lucky, 7 of Mankind, Hudson, Roxy, Abercrombie…….40 cents. I kid you not. Don’t bother with these scammers, just donate your things and take the tax deduction-you’ll be much happier. Wish I did.

• Garbage Kitty

This scam company’s success depends on taking your clothes, paying you next to nothing for them, then marking the clothing up over 1000% to make a profit.

I made less than $6, for 9 items. Sent them new items with tags and in their original garment bags. The clothing was received in December and processed in February. It’ll cost $10 to get your return items shipped back. By the time the processing is complete you’ve paid someone to rob you.

Left a vm.. no call back. Email reply took 3 days. Bbb complaint hasn’t received a response, so it’s clear that this company is in the business of taking your clothing AND profits.

Sell your clothes yourselves or drop them off with a local thrift store for a tax write off.

• Brenda Dean

I discovered Thred Up when perusing the web for resale
    sites. The concept seemed great. Wrong!! I ordered a couple of items from the
    site and I ordered a bag to send items I wanted to sell to Thred Up. The items I received appeared well worn and
    small even though I ordered a large (I am about 150 lbs. and 5’8”). I kept one and sent one back at my
    expense. Still I decide to send my 12
    resale items to Thred Up – some with the tags still on. I estimate I would have received about $50 to
    $75 dollars at my local resale shop. It
    took about 6 weeks before my items were processed, my account showed a $7.00
    credit for the items and I waited for a check which never arrived only to find
    out funds drop off your account after a period of time. Thred Up does not automatically issue a check
    for your items. Thred Up is a waste of
    time and poorly run – if not just an outright scam. Save aggravation – patronize your local
    resale shop.

• Kandie Rice

Wish I had taken time to research thredUP! They’re thieves. I sent in a bag with all items with retail tags, never worn or used. Beautiful hand tooled Spanish leather back pack that converted to handbag, value at least $300. They gave me $7 and pennies for the clothes and said the leather bag had spots/dirty and couldn’t be sold. Gave it away! I’m done and hope this message helps someone else. Stay away from thredUP! Loss at least $400.

• ThredUp is a HUGE waste of time, money and effort. I have sold several bags and I’m ALWAYS disappointed and frustrated with the process. Why I kept sending them stuff is my fault. I was too lazy to sell it myself and I paid the price. Not only do they take your items and literally give you pennies on the dollar for it, but now when you want to cash out your measly earnings, you are CHARGED A FEE to have your money transferred to your PayPal account!!! ThredUp sucks, it’s a horrible operation and I recommend using Poshmark, eBay, or your local consignment store to sell your stuff. Not only that, but now ThredUp is PAYING well known bloggers for favorable reviews because they are trying to rebuild their reputation. I know because I am a blogger and know several fashion bloggers who have shown me the payments from ThredUp in exchange for favorable reviews. Stay away from ThredUp. Ripping people off is just bad business. Oh, and god forbid you have any type of problem. Their “customer service” is a total joke.

• Queena Knox

In spite of the fact that there is a category of “formal wear, wedding gowns, and so on” on the web page my dress was discarded and I was told you don’t accept formal wear. Then they should get that off the page because that is what indicated to me that they did. And $6 for a pair of Bandolino pumps AND a Cache sundress is ridiculous! YES! For both! And each one is posted online for no less than $19.99 each! So, I’m just chalking it up to lesson learned. And I’ve begun my own page for people to sell their designer items and get 100% of what is paid for them. But I won’t be sending anything else I assure you! I sent a formal gown, a WHBM sundress, a pr of WHBM formal dress pants, a pair of Bandolino pumps that were nearly new, and a Cache sundress and didn’t get enough to cover the cost of the $9.00 bag! To their credit (ha) they have only paid me up front for the shoes and the Cache dress. So I would HOPE to receive more “credit” when the other items sell. But as I said in the first sentence – they “discarded” my formal saying they don’t accept formal wear! Check the website under “dresses.” You’ll see a category for “formal,” “wedding,” and “prom.” Yet they have in their “fine print” that they don’t accept these! They’ll sell that formal gown for no less than fifty bucks I guarantee! If I’m GIVING something away I want to know the person I’m giving it to! And there’s a drive right now for “formals” for girls who can’t afford dresses! I’m just sick!

• Susan Burke

I love consignment shopping and was very excited to try this. I was even more excited when a box of awesome quality clothing arrived. Most unfortunately, Thredup would not let me use a valid 40% off coupon because they had sent me another “offer” (NOT a discount, but for a service) and claimed that I could not use. I emailed them and they were less than helpful. Truly bad customer service.

• Heidi Leighton

For those of you trying to reach these thieves, try knitwits@thredup.com, they will answer you eventually. And dont bother threatening them with the BBB or consumer affairs, they don’t care!! Believe me, their email address suites them perfectly;)

• Gretchen

Do yourself a favor, and don’t bother with this website. I sent them two bags of clothing at two different times, and now they don’t have any records of it. After I sent the initial bag, I waited a week or two, checked online, and it indicated that it was received (bag1) and they were in the process of sorting. So, I figured I’ll send in another bag, waited a week or two, and checked the website again. This time, it stated they haven’t received any items from me (including bag 1). Very annoying. I searched the website for a phone number, email address…anything…with no luck. Seriously, what kind of business provides no contact info…? They want to to message them during certain business hours…ridiculous. If I had the time to hunt down my clothing, checkup on ThredUP to make sure all was processed correctly (or at all…in my case)—I’d just post everything myself on eBay or the like. Try Poshmark or elsewhere. This site is a joke.

• Abigail

I posted my experience here a while back, but just in case new users are here thinking to sell, DON’T do it. Also, their positive reviews on websites like SiteJabber are all fake. They post tens of fake positive reviews everyday to balance out their poor rating. It’s embarrassing.

• Queena Knox

I probably would have posted a positive review as a buyer!! I got a WHBM $80 skirt for $14!!! But now that I know the owner got less than SEVENTY FIVE CENTS for it I feel awful!!!! You’d think she got at least $8 out of it! Geez!

• Lauren Breakiron

Horrible customer experience selling to thredUP. They gave me a total of $2 for a couple items they kept from my cleanout bag and claim they “recycled” the other hundreds of dollars of brand new never worn children’s clothing I sent in. They claimed it was due to “category surplus”. Really?! When I sent the clothes in there was no warning or advertisement not to send particular items or styles. They literally have stolen hundreds of dollars of clothing from me and claim that they can not be gotten back. Never do business with this company, you will loose money and will receive awful customer service.

• Julianne Roberts

Worst company.If you have problems it is impossible to talk to a real person. They ruined my christmas.Cleaned out my ebay store and sent in 16 full bags. These bags contained new with tags coats for 360.00 and coach bags. They did not show up as being kept by them . After many attempts they wrote me they were not accepted because of flaws. They ripped me off.

• Cathy -Bencomo

I sent a bag to thread-up back in November 2016, Weighing 15 pounds full of clothing. I never received any confirmation from the company on receiving my bag. I sent it through FedEx office. I need to know where all my items are that were in that bag! Can you please HELP me locate my shipment?! I had clothes with the tags still on them, brand-new. Thank you so very much and look forward to hearing back from you on the status of my bag. Cathy

• Victoria Linge Brown

I sent a bag of expensive clothes many with the price tag still on. There was a Calvin Klein dress with a price tag on it. The price tag said $118. The price on ThredUp was $31.99. There were others like it. I was so disgusted. One piece was a Pendleton cardigan with the price tag on it and in their description they said there was some wear in the form of pilling. I never wore the sweater.
    ThredUp is a total ripoff.
    I had them return the items they rejected which came out of my upfront payment. Then when I wanted a payout, I had to accept a pre-paid Visa or PayPal.
    My relationship with ThredUp is over. I am FedUp with ThredUp.

• vinesmarymargaret

i am in agreement with all of the complaints below. after waiting 5 weeks for my bag of 40items to be processed, i learned 7 were accepted and i was to receive 31 dollars minus 9.99 for processing. after i looked at my items online, wow…the first one sold for 30 dollars! and, the items they did not “select according to their high standards”. are being resold to another consignment seller! WOW. they are double dipping thieves. stay away from THREDUP; they play off of reuse, recycle and we help the community…they help themselves (to your stuff)

• l johnson

I had sold a bag to ThredUp and thought it was a little low and it took quite a while to process (over a month); but I read the site for desired items more closely and thought it was worth trying again. I understand that since they are purchasing upfront, they should make a profit, but it should certainly be a reasonable profit. This time it took seven (7!) weeks to process, they increased the cost of the bag to send the items in, and they reduced the payout for each item. They have listed my items for over $350.00, and paid my $2.66, as they have also reduce their payout prices. I will not send any more clothing to ThredUp, and everyone should be very careful! And there is no contact information to call on their website, red flag. There is email, however, when I asked about the status of my bag, each time I was told they received an unusual amount of items (they send out the bags) and it would be any day (for three weeks).

• Ronee Harrell

I was so totally ripped off by thredup , I could of killed someone ..
    From thredup…….I sent them three totally stuffed bags of clothing that were the brand’s they accepted, that were clean an pressed, and over half were new or worn once or twice…….
    I worked for Nordstrom’s for over 15 yrs an I think I know what would be sellable or not…..
    Well I wish I would of waited an checked their business practices closer .
    But I didn’t an after buying a few tops from them , and loving them , and looked brand new ,, well of course I trusted them…
    For everything that I sent in I received less then 20.00……..
    I was livid ..
    An the items that I sent them to just get rid of an donate to charity they picked two of those items an paid me more those than the brand new jeans I sent in … They took 9 pairs of jeans for .33cents a piece……
    I wanted to scream…
    But the jeans with kick a*s embroidery on them that were new they didn’t want….
    Yeah I bet ,,,,,, they either kept them for themselves or like I read on one complaint , probably sold them on eBay or what’s to stop them from putting them in a consignment store themselves……
    How do you think they pay all those salaries for the most stupid people in retail..
    If you haven’t noticed their site ,,, they have the same measurements for 4 of the same items but all have different sizes like 1X, 2X, 3X an 4 X….
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME…!!!!
    Or a blouse that is suppose to be a 2X the bust size they give is a 32 or 34…..
    Yet one a different item that is a 2X ,, bust size is 42 or 40……
    REALLY..!!!!
    Yeah ,,, people who do not take their clothing seriously do not care for them seriously an throw everything in the dryer ..And clothes do shrink…
    So if they are considerably smaller then what the size says ,,, then sell the d**n item under the right size it is now……
    I haven’t bought anything from them since this order has happened an all the compliments that I have read…
    Cause to me anyone who buys from this company is buying BLOOD CLOTHING…!!!!!M!!
    Which means people worked their butts off to purchase these items and thredup just stole their hard working money..!!!!!
    PERIOD…
    THIS COMPANY NEEDS TO BE SHUT DOWN AN INVESTIGATED..!!!!!
    BUT HOW DO WE DO THIS , EVEN WHEN WE KNOW HOW THEY ARE RIPPING OFF PEOPLE…!!!!!!!
    APPARENTLY THE BBB COULD CARE LESS…
    OR THIS COMPANY IS VERY GOOD AT HIDING WHAT THEY ARE DOING WITH CLOTHING THEY SAY THEY ARE DONATING ..!!!!!!
    ANY SUGGESTIONS……
    AND YES YOU ARE RIGHT ,,, THEY IGNORE YOUR EMAILS AN TRY TO BLOCK YOU OR DO BLOCK YOU ON SOCIAL MEDIA..!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THANKS FOR LISTENING OR READING..!!!!!

• Lskkio

I couldnt agree with you MORE!! I am so disappointed and even more now since they changed few rules about consignment. What a real ripoff.

• Gail

I sent in a a bag full of clothes, a coat and purses. At least 8 things were new still with tags. One of the purses was a designer handbag, the other a Relic Both never used. My payout was 26.00 total for all these things, which they deducted 8.99 for shipping. So I am to receive a little over 17.00. Still waiting on the money… Seller beware, what a RIP OFF! Some of the things were my Mothers. She is in a nursing home and I was trying to get extra monies for her to have. It is a insult to see one of those purses listed for 18.00 and they gave me 1.70… it doesn’t do any good to complain to them I have tried thru email and the customer service agent said she understands and I told her no, it didn’t happen to you. Take the advice of all these complaints, take your things to a charity or give to people in need. This company should be ashamed of their business practice and for taking advantage of so many people..

• Jenny

I can’t do business with Thredup, they low quality of customer service lack of information, especially about the payout (NASTY BUSINESS). First I ordered my clean out bag and I have total of 16 items and they all new with tags. I have set my price reasonable and thats the price I have sold it online for another site as well. My 16 items worth $5 out of $300+ Its really a mistake from falling in a black hole of Thredup. Bad businessd, first time and last time. Whoever try to do business with them? STOP NOW, TRUST ME SO YOU WON’T FALL IN THEIR HOLE.