ThredUP Complaints, Reviews, Scam and Fraud Reports

Company Information

Last Updated On: August 26, 2014

ThredUP Corporate Contact

Business Name: thredUP Inc.
580 Market St 4th Fl

Corp Website: thredup.com

ThredUP Ratings and Reports

Latest ThredUP Complaint

Seller Beware...

I had a positive experience purchasing a few items from Thredup. This encouraged me to try selling, and this has been quite a different matter. I sent in two bags, one contained Cole Haan and Rangoni shoes and a pair of brand new Report Signature rhinestone covered boots still in their box (featured item on many fashion sites).

I emailed Thredup about their acceptance of these items and was told to use their “Return Assurance” feature. For a $12.99 fee, what ever it is they don’t accept, these items will be returned to you. I did so and guess what? I received an email informing me that they had not accepted anything from this bag and since there was no “credit” to deduct the fee from, my items would not be returned to me!

I was stunned. I believed that I would be notified to “go to checkout” and pay the fee. I have written several follow-up emails, no response. How legitimate can this be? Thredup does the “evaluation” of items, deems the items “unsuitable,” then disposes of the items as they see fit, even though the contents of the bags were identified for return?! Another person has stated she recognized her unique items posted on Ebay, it wouldn’t surprise me to see the boots show up there too.

My second bag is still being processed. Two weeks have passed and since the horrible experience with the shoes, I have grave concerns. This bag contained 25 items. (I included an inventory of the items in the return bag.) Christian Dior, Eileen Fisher, Lafayette 148, Ann Taylor, Nordstrom, etc. many are silk, cashmere items. All in such excellent condition that when I sent them I was confident that most would be accepted and did not identify the bag for Return Assurance.

Obviously, have learned since then that this doesn’t make any difference. But, still feel pretty dumb for not doing so. Had I, there might have been some chance of getting something back. In theory it sounds like a great idea to be able to clean out your closet with the convenient, cute “no cost” bag, but in reality that is the hook. We are all busy, the bag makes it convenient and the idea of making a little money from little used items seems like a win-win. In reality, Thredup ends up with sellable items for pennies, (if that) on the dollar.

Their buying practices are suspect. I feel like my items were stolen from me by what seems to be a rigged “return assurance” policy. I will take the advice of another poster and contact the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office. Wouldn’t it be a good thing if one of the local news shows’ consumer advocates did a story to expose all this? Lesson learned…if I am going to consign, I’ll make the effort with a bricks and mortar store. At least you know immediately what they are taking, you take or donate the rest. With Thredup, you might as well have just given away your items. Problem is you are left feeling totally ripped off and victimized.

I wish I had done my homework!

See More ThredUP Complaints View Comments File a NEW Complaint

Is ThredUP a Rip Off, Fraud or Have They Scammed You? WARN OTHER CONSUMERS By Sharing

Older Reviews About ThredUP

Official Responses from ThredUP

By: Alex Schernig On: February 8, 2013

Jacalyn Moehrle was awarded the $10 referral credit she was concerned about on 2/1/2013. This compliant was registered while our team was researching the issue and trying to understand how the credit was applied to the wrong account. We apologize for the delay in issuing the credit. We hope this is a reasonable resolution for Jacalyn and that this closes her issue.

Consumer Comments For ThredUP