ThredUP Reviews and Complaints by Consumers and Customers

Thredup.com SnapShot

Last Updated On: June 15, 2015

ThredUP Corporate Contact

Business Name: thredUP Inc.
580 Market St 4th Fl
San Francisco, California 94104 USA

Corp Phone Number: 617-575-9676
Corp Email: support@thredup.com
Company Contact: James Reinhart - Co-founder & CEO
Corp Website: thredup.com

ThredUP Customer Ratings and Reports

Latest ThredUP Complaint

Is ThredUP a Rip Off, Fraud or Have They Scammed You? WARN OTHER CONSUMERS By Sharing

Category: Clothing Websites Directory ListingthredUP Inc. ListingResponse From Company

Stole from My children

We are a respected middle income family. I wanted to teach my children the value of earning a living so they know not to depend on no one but themselves in the future. Life is not a handout, it is for honest working people. I wanted my children to learn responsibility and take action on their own behalf of earning money. The twins, 15 year old, and my oldest 16, came across the Thredup website and said this is the project they wanted to do to earn money to buy new school clothes and other necessities as well as entertainment. I viewed their site and thought, ok. Sounds fair, so the kids sent in two bags a piece of excellent name brand clothing, shoes, handbags and the estimated cost for resale at a reasonable price for anyone was around 800 dollars.

The children done their math and marketing and investigating to the items that they were sending in. They worked hard at comparing reasonable costs on other sites as well as to what these clothes would sell for second hand with the people selling them also earning a profit. They know this, they have to give the other person a profitable amount as well for selling their items. Thredup on the other hand stole from my children!

How do I mean by stole? First of all, they only accepted a few items out of each bag. Paying less than a dollar for name brand clothing, shoes and handbags. Total earned for all my children was 10 dollars and 60 cents! My children were in tears! Not to mention very upset parents! The name brand shoes and handbags were never considered and they were in new condition! We did know about the return assurance of any items not accepted, but we assumed more than $10.60 would be accepted. Then my wife was interested in why the items were not considered and viewed their site. Surprised, she found the items not accepted on their site for resale! They stole these items as far as I am concerned. They had no reason to do this other than to make a high profit for themselves to live off innocent other peoples hard earned money. The shoes, handbags and jackets all listed on their site!

My wife started adding up their profit and it was to much for her and she called the site only to be put on hold and then disconnected. She waited for over 45 minutes to speak with someone and no one spoke to her. Then she was disconnected, she called back and nothing! Only to be put on hold again.

So, how much did they earn off the children’s clothing, handbags and shoes? Well, when my wife reached over the amount of 1000 dollars, she grew angry and in tears could not continue. Then, she learned that they not only stole from the children and made a profit, they also made a profit by selling the unaccepted items that they did not sell to other consignments! Making them a profit.

We came across another consignment and found clothing that my children sent in that states was bought from thred up and being resold. I am much disappointed in this company. They don’t donate the items to the shelters, or any other free clothing closets as we had hoped that they would do. They sold it.

We are good Christians and I much rather of donated the items to our Church and other free clothing centers around the world. These people are living high off the hog on innocent peoples trust. They children would of gotten more money selling them in the yard sale, EBay, or auctions. This is fraud and very much upsetting.

Please do not send your items to these people. They rip you off big time. A illegal operation gone legal! I pray no one has to hurt like my family did. They learned a very valuable lesson here. And they did their research with their estimation values of prices as well as other resources. A hard lesson learned for their first time to learn responsibility. They had to find out that in this world, with a very first lesson in contact, people are not honest. Especially a company who would want their business to be expanded with good words. We prayed not only they change their views to not rip off any more innocent people, but we pray no one, especially children who honestly were trying to earn on their own, have to experience this ever. Lesson learned and valued in this incident for my children but the hurt and disappointment of trust is engraved in their hearts.

Official Responses from ThredUP

By: Alex Schernig On: February 8, 2013

Jacalyn Moehrle was awarded the $10 referral credit she was concerned about on 2/1/2013. This compliant was registered while our team was researching the issue and trying to understand how the credit was applied to the wrong account. We apologize for the delay in issuing the credit. We hope this is a reasonable resolution for Jacalyn and that this closes her issue.

25 Most Recent ThredUP Complaints

Consumer Comments For ThredUP

• Chad, thank you for sharing your story. I am sooo sorry for your children! You did everything right and so did they. I was just about to place an order as I have never used this site. Thanks to your review, I never will. How awful.

• What good are you if you have a million rules?