CenturyLink Reviews

Most Recent CenturyLink Complaints

Is CenturyLink a Scam, Rip Off, or Fraud? WARN OTHER CONSUMERS By Sharing

Category: Telecom Directory ListingCenturyLink, Inc Listing

CenturyLink Experience

What the hell is wrong with your company CenturyLink?

I have been trying, really trying hard! to give you my business on 2 separate occasions now. I don’t even know where to begin to describe my horrible experience. I currently have Comcast and on 2 occasions I have tried to leave them and give my business to you and both times you have done everything possible to make me quit no matter how much I wanted to be your customer.

I will not go into much details about my first attempt as it is in the past. I have terminated the service after two weeks as my speed could not get above 6-8mbps and i have gotten no help whatsoever from your untrained, unprofessional care agents whose knowledge caps at the mark where they tell you to reboot the modem.

My Comcast bill had gone up and with their data caps I decided to try Century Link once again. D**n, I regret that decision! I picked up a modem at a local store on Friday 21st. Was assured of great customer service and support and was advised that my tap activation will occur sometime today, Sept 25th.

Waited the whole day, nothing had happened. The line is dead, same line that did work few month ago. DSL light is off on the modem.

Tried calling CenturyLink support, spoke to several people from other countries who did not know a d**n thing about anything and kept telling me that I need to pay for a technician visit to get the internet working. One person stated the line had already been activated another agent told me that not yet. Finally after my hands started to shake from frustration I demanded a supervisor. Supervisor by the name Jennifer came on the line after a long wait on hold and could not offer any information or assistance.

The CenturyLink supervisor did not know what lie to feed me to get off the phone. Clearly, she did not know ANYTHING, NOT A D**N THING about service or even system she was using.

First she told me that my order is still pending and at 8pm it will complete and my internet service will work. I refused to get off the phone. Jennifer was promising me and assuring that she knows exactly what the problem is and that at 8pm sharp my service will turn on. I did not buy that and told her I will stay on the line with her till 8 PM until the service starts working. After being on the line for a few minutes, the supervisor placed me on hold and when returned advised me that it was determined that I have an incomparable modem. It was the same make and model as my last modem that I had few months ago that did work fine. The supervisor that is suppose to know the system and be able to assist customers kept making up silly lies the whole time on the phone with me, anything from Incomparable modem to service update at a later time tonight that will miraculously turn on my internet.

I asked the supervisor to get me her boss and someone in the United States, I was transferred to a regular rep who stated he is in the US. I asked to talk to his Supervisor. The agent who’s name was Nick was very slow to respond and his answers were greatly delayed giving the impression that the agent was either drunk or high, although I cannot speak of that with certainty.

The agent refused to provide his supervisor, kept asking same question which I already had answered to every other agent and had input in the automated system numerous time. I kept repeating over and over that I must talk to a supervisor, finally when the agent called me rude, my husband took over the phone and started to shout to get a supervisor, hence asking normally for 10 times or more did not yield any results. The agent by the name Nick just hung up the line.

I demand that the call with Nick is listened and reviewed by the leadership to determine if Nick had broke any policies and/or procedures by hanging up on the customer. I called again, was transferred between 4 or 5 agents and then ended up with business class who told me they cant do anything and I have to call back…..

I called back, yet again, was told by the automated system that I have called after hours and need to call back in the morning. And thatch how I spent my Tuesday evening after an excruciating day at work. Still no internet. I am so done with your pathetic excuse of a company.

Comcast ranks on the last place for customer care in the United States but their service is superb and fantastic compared to what I have received today from CenturyLink.

I will be returning your modem to your office as soon as possible, terminating the service while still under 30 days money back, writing a horrible review on every possible review site, filing a complaint with FCC and telling anyone that I know to NEVER try to have service with your company.

In my 31 years on this earth I have not had worse experience with any other company, EVER!

15 Most Recent Reviews About CenturyLink

Submit a Complaint or Comment For CenturyLink

• Maxine smith

I’ve had nothing but trouble from Century Link. They finally came yesterday and did repairs and it went out again 6 hours later. I called them again after being transferred many times they told me they can’t come back until Monday… I have renters that depend on their computers for their work…I can never get a straight answer, always foreigners that know absolutely nothing about the business. I tried to explain that they had previously found a cable cut but had repaired it . He asked me if the cable was the size of a pencil… duh I didn’t do the repairs and the cable is underground. I still have another home with Century Link, but that will change immediately.. tired of their non professional services.. I could go on and on with a list… just want to be rid of craziness.

• John Trapaso

I switched from TWC to Century Link on 7/18/2016 and it was the worst thing I could have done. Was promised the FIXED monthly bill of about $112 per month, a $100 gift card and great service. NOPE pretty much none of them however I will say I did get a $50 gift card and a few months later they acknowledged the other $50 and put that towards my bill that was anywhere from $142 to almost $500 the first month. I have had to call every month and have them review their bill inaccuracies. Next is their contactors that came to bury my line – they started off by tearing up my lawn, my flower beds – lets just say a good portion of my landscaping only to break my sewer line, then try to fix it but did so improperly thus we has a partial power outage due to underground power lines. Oh yes and lets not forget they have also cracked my cement driveway due to their equipment and trying to dig UNDER the driveway. We have received the worst service right down to the Prism TV crashing almost daily!!!! I have complained all the way to the CEO. STILL WAITING ON A RESPONSE

• Don Ramler

Ever since AT&T took over, the DSL service has been crashing. Looking for a new hook-up. And Direct TV. And phone. And….

• pam bowman

I accidently sent centurylink a payment of $566.50 by mistake through my bill pay through my bank. I haven’t had an account with centurylink for at least 4 years just never took them off my bill pay. This occurred in December of 2016 and they are refusing to give my money back to me

• Nutha

I never ever applied to be their member, but they could go to my Bank a/c and me 3times in 3montha $70,$70 and last January $220 , by what I did not know before I wrote to them call them and told them ,but they are still taking my money all the time, yes how even lagal to do busdiness like they do?

• Anna

I received the offer with promotional rate from CenturyLink in the mail. I never used them before, signed up for 14.95 a month for 6 months and guess what I never got this promotional rate in my bills. They keep charging me regular rate of 44.00 plus fees and when I call they keep telling me it’s fixed, but it’s not. It’s been 4 months with this BS, I had enough and sending their box back to them today. The internet is very slow as well. My experience with CenturyLink was the worst customer service experience in my life. I do not recommend CenturyLink to anyone! This company should be fined for scamming people! How is it even legal to do business like they do?

• saimon

I asked to customer center for an new connection without any contact for testing the century link service. After the internet connection i noticed that internet speed is so down in my place. So I called to customer service to disconnect my connection within 3 business dat and I paid $115.07 for new connection. And It has included a 30 days cancellation fee with refund.
    But somebody called me for the early disconnect fee $200. Then I denied to pay because it wasn’t in my contract and don’t have any agreement. And somebody called me for charge me for early cancellation fee. The billing guy transferred my call to customer service manager name Ron. He said I have to reconnect your internet and call back to customer service to disconnect without any charges by next Thursday 01/07/17. And He said, it is now $0.00 bill. So I called customer service to disconnect the connection and call to the billing department again to know the status of my bill and refund. But still they charged me $200.00. And the billing department told me the customer representative fraud me. And he did it for his own interest. And they said I have to pay $200. I denied to pay. I’m an student. It is really badly harassment to an new customer. I requested to the customer center to write an complain against Ron. But no action I can see against him. I’ll expecting an immediate action. I’m requesting to investigate and punish Ron for his fraud and clear my dues to $0.00. And refund my money back.

Saimon Malakor.
    Charlottesville, VA-22903

• saimon

But somebody called me for the early disconnect fee $200. Then I denied to pay because it wasn’t in my contract and don’t have any agreement. And somebody called me for charge me for early cancellation fee. The billing guy transferred my call to customer service manager name Ron. He said I have to reconnect your internet and call back to customer service to disconnect without any charges by next Thursday 01/07/17. And He said, it is now $0.00 bill. So I called customer service to disconnect the connection and call to the billing department again to know the status of my bill and refund. But still they charged me $200.00. And the billing department told me the customer representative fraud me. And he did it for his own interest. And they said I have to pay $200. I denied to pay. I’m an student. It is really badly harassment to an new customer. I requested to the customer center to write an complain against Ron. But no action I can see against him. I’ll expecting an immediate action. I’m requesting to investigate and punish Ron for his defrauding and clear my dues to $0.00. And refund my money back.

Saimon Malakor.
    Charlottesville, VA-22903

• Along

Horrendous customer service..

CenturyLink is the only internet provider in my area….I have no choice but to use them. Their service has always been spotty, having to reset the router at least once a day if not more. But since they are our only option, we decided to upgrade to 25 mbps from 10 mbps. (25 is the highest we can get). We bought our own modem / router so that we could discontinue paying the $9.99 per month fee for their equipment. It worked fine when we got it home (still at the 10 mbps), it actually increased out mbps from 2 to 8. We were told since we had our own equipment, there would be no installation. I get some from work the next day..NO INTERNET. Called customer service, they said they came to install the high speed and no one was home. We did not get a call, appt. verification,nothing. They would have to come back out to finish installation (of what, I don’t know). They schedule the reinstall” FIVE days later with a 12 hour window…you have to be home from 7 am – 7 pm. I take a vacation day from work, wait for them to show up….nothing. Get a call stating that the issue was fixed…checked the modem / router – it was working. Hang up the phone…again, they never came to the house. Check the speed….10 mbps. They restored the old service and did not upgrade to the 25 mbps like they were supposed to. We have spent well over 10 hours on the phone the past week trying to get internet speeds THAT I AM ALREADY BEING BILLED FOR. Now it will be ANOTHER THREE DAYS before they can get back out here to fix it. Their customer service is the sorriest group I have ever dealt with…they never call back and put you on hold for hours just waiting for you
    to hang up. I have never been so disgusted with any company and the way they treat their customers. They are TERRIBLE.

• Rip Off

Century Linkadded an unauthorized $81.90 monthly package in January 2016. No one consentedto the package to be added.

The past history transactions on the assigned phone number clearly reflect that suchpackage has never been needed. Local telephone service has been the only basic optional that has been required for the residents.

Theunauthorized transactions totaled to an amount of $403.09 dollars. Due to the
    Century Link actions the telephone service has been disconnected although the
    household member has serious and critical medical conditions, not employed and
    over the age of 65 years old.

• Manuel Gonzalez

We have been with Century Link’s customer for many years that’s about all we can get in the mountains it is the slowest Internet service we have ever had, hard to see any movies on Netflix it keeps buffing you just get so irritated you just turn it off, any one that is thinking of moving to the Virginia Mountains check tour Internet services that are available in the area we are in the 24330 are in Virginia

• NaCl

My response to CenturyLink’s request for feedback. Of course I never heard anything more from them. Problem was resolved by 11/29.

Had no dial tone–called 11/23, was promised technician on 11/24 between 10:30-7:00. Of course no one showed after I waited ALL DAY. Called again, was told sorry, will come by the 29th. I asked when the hell you were going to let me know it was changed? (apparently never). I said I couldn’t wait around all those days. Was told it didn’t matter, I didn’t have to be there (the direct opposite of what I was told earlier when I wasted an entire day waiting). Told you I have a heart monitoring system that goes through the phone line, can’t you come sooner? Answer–supervisor I was speaking to couldn’t do any scheduling, but would pass my concern along to the field rep or whoever did the scheduling.

Your procedure makes customer care a joke–you should be ashamed. 1) You constantly denied that there was any problem at your end, but obviously there was. 2) People I spoke to until I asked for and got a supervisor were very difficult to understand, and I was never confident that they understood me either. 3) Once I had a ticket #, I STILL had to go through the agonizing telephone procedure each time I called–why don’t you have an option to put in the ticket # and get someone directly? I must have given you my cell phone number 10 times. 4) You gave me contradictory information about when you’d be there, and whether I had to be there as well. 5) You should have an inquiry system so you know if there’s someone like myself who relies on the phone line for medical reasons. 6) Don’t insult my intelligence by trying to sell me your inside wiring insurance the first time I call, or ever. If this is the kind of service you give, why would anyone bother?

You’d be far better off to be honest and upfront with your customers, and have a contact system that’s user friendly. The fact that you don’t says a world about your priorities.

Of course, you’re going to credit my bill for the days I didn’t have phone service, right?

Answer: no, until I called. Compensation for my wasted day waiting for technician who never came? Was shunted to 5(!) different people, none of whom was of any help. Two, maybe three, were obviously unfamiliar with the English language. Last connection was unintelligible, and I finally gave up in disgust after the woman implied that it was my phone that was the problem. No one has the authority to do anything, but they’re happy to tell you how glad they are that you’re a customer before they shunt you over to the next department.

• John Mullins

I had to file a complaint about CenturyLink with the FCC. I told them that I was being overcharged and promised credits that never came, they just continued raising my monthly charges. FCC sent a message to CenturyLink to resolve this situation with me and report back to them in 30 days. Two weeks later I received a letter from CenturyLink stating they were refunding us $136.40 and our account was closed. We received the check the next day. I would suggest you folks work with the FCC as they certainly got the attention of CenturyLink in a hurry.

• Dante Sherman

if you want to sue- class action, message me

• saimon

How can I sue them? Please help me.

• Lindsee McDonald

Peolpe, people, people. Centurylink can’t even pay their employees. They owe them back wages and were ordered by an Arbitrator to pay them, but still can’t. This is not a business that has the money to fix problems. Find a more stable provider.

• tcotti

Would absolutely love to have another provider but they are the only phone and internet company in our rural area

• Myron Larson

I’ve had three horrible experiences with centurylink. First of all let me say that before I retired I worked with the broadband development with qwest/kpmg venture and I am a master electrician with MCSE, CCNA, CNA Certs in computers so I have an expert’s opinion as well. First horrible experience was with my mother’s house with a mother in her 70s. I ordered the service and CenturyLink technicians came out before I could get there and destroyed all of my beautiful wiring I had done for her phone system and then could not get anything to work claiming problems in their central switching. After fixing their wiring destruction I noticed the wire coming from their pedestal broken and after hooking it back up got her DSL working. A week went by with repeated phone calls of sending crews out to check wiring and me saying not to bother I fixed it that I noticed her speeds cut down to 2mbps download speed. Obviously they sent a crew out to mess with the wiring somewhere along the line and messed it up. I called and canceled service immediately after that first week so no term fees? Wrong they purposely kept the account open well after switching my mother to Comcast and sent her to collections for the month of service she never used and a termination fee.

Next experience was father getting hooked up only to discover after his first month he got knocked down from 35mpbs to a whopping 2mbps download speeds. He decided to tough it out for the first year and avoid the termination fees.

Last but not least I went on Century link during the same time as hooking up my parents homes but was exceptional in expressing that I would not sign up if there were termination fees if early cancellation. The sales rep agreed to exclude those terms in my contract and so I had agreed to a 12 month term. Keep in mind I put all three of these systems in place during the same week period so I had no history of this dysfunction before hand. They raised my rates three months after I started with them and I took that as breach of contract so Ii terminated after three months of service. Everyone is back on comcast and happy for the most part but Mom decided to pay her $200, Dad toughed it out for a year on 2mbps download speeds and I am in a battle with a collection agency who’s threatening my almost perfect and hard earned credit score.

They are scammers. I would say be careful with them but the complaints her on this board are very real and there is little protection. I am so pissed about getting ripped off that I have filed a complaint with the FCC and the BBB but FCC has closed my case and it looks like I may have to fight for mediation in order to be heard.

The real bait and switch is when they hook you into a 12 month contract and then provide you with virtually no way to get things fixed and trust me their service is a constant problem. DSL is crappy and their customer service is ridiculous but you’re stuck with it unless you just suck it up as a loss and pay the $200 to get out and order Comcast or something else. Seriously, this is no exaggeration when I mark all of their ratings with a one.

• Robert Robertson

Pathetic when you change from a more expensive phone package to a cheaper one that includes long distance only to get long distance cancelled all together. Almost 2 months and haven’t been able to get the correct service I ordered. This happens to be residential service in which a bedridden invalid person resides. Emails, phone calls, and online chat has not provided resolution to correct the problem.

• Brittany

Get Centurylink if you want to get scammed, hung up on and lied to every time you need help! #WorstCompanyEver

• Dave Webb

Centurylink: STAY AWAY. Do yourself a favor, don’t get mired in Centurylink’s miserable excuse for internet “services.” Poor speeds, intermittent (but consistent) downtime, p**s-poor customer service. Drop the service (even after the “promotional period”) and they penalize you with exhorbitant “rates.” Months after thinking I’d closed down the account, and NEVER HEARING A PEEP FROM CENTURYLINK ABOUT A BILLING PROBLEM, I get a notice from a collection agency for an “unpaid balance” that was 3X the “promotional rate” I received for CRAPPY INTERNET SERVICE. Stay away, you’ve been warned!!!!

• jessica wolcott

Centurylink has been a big disappointment to me have been with them for a few years with just internet made a big mistake and got prism too they gave me a price so then I call too make sure my bill was going be what they told me and guess what nope it wasn’t so I have called them about 15 times in the last 30 days and everyone of there customer service rep keep giving me different price and then go in there systems and fix it so then I call back on my 30 day too back out of contract cause you have 30 days too do that but the guy told me the same price that the last rep gave me so I didn’t cancel it so now I call to check my bill and sure enough my bill is more then what I was told they need too fix this and some of the rep I talk too was very rude I work for an attorney and as soon as I see him I’m going find out if there is something I can do about this cause it has been very stressful dealing with this and I don’t see how they can give you a price and turn around a change it and then be stuck for a year pay for something that you did not agree too.

• Mr

Same experiences @centurylink.com – They claim to offer you the same programming as Xfinity at reduced prices. We were forced to upgrade to get compatible channels. Funny no cost savings now. Complete scam as the channel lineups aren’t compatible. The bill is never right, however, don’t short pay it as they will cut your service off. Prism freezes often, Guide is awful, programs don’t record and good luck with the customer service because it doesn’t exist at CenturyLink. I stopped calling after 50 or so calls. These people should be in JAIL. Where is the consumer protection agency. Yet another waste of tax payer dollars. What event has to happen for the consumer protection agency to wake up to look into CenturyLink. Absolute FRAUD! Before you dial up Centurylink to discuss services, cut your hand off. It will be less painful.

• So disgusted

Centurylink needs to shut their business down, because they don’t know what they are doing. I am ready to have a nervous breakdown over their billing and customer service. I am trying to take care of my mother who has alzheimers and I am handicapped myself this is the hardest time of my life and I have to keep calling centurylink every month or more because they have screwed up the billing and my service so badly. We are just living on my mothers social security check and why we are paying way more for the phone and internet where I could get this price 3 times cheaper somewhere else without all the headache. I have enough dealing with my mother having alzheimers and my illness, but I have to constantly be dealing with century link. If there is a lawyer out there please help us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If they don’t get it together soon I will sue them. They refuse to give me confirmation numbers everytime I call. If I try to cancel before the contract is over they will charge me an enormous amount of money. I have been going on with them for over a year now and even when it was quest and they were going out of business they couldn’t get my basic land phone right for a year and when centurylink took over it took another year for them to straighten out my basic land line phone. God I pray you will make them got out of business real soon so I can change providers and get away from them. God will punish the wicked and I will pray daily for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Carl

I sent this note to CenturyLink via their website today. Disgusting bait and switch tactic…I doubt their will be a return email or call….I need you to listen to the sales call that was made a few days ago to upgrade my phone to phone and internet. I was sold: 30.00 credit on my bill. 50.00 credit/debit card mailed to my home. Free install of tech running line from curb to my house. fed ex the modem to my house so I can save the 59.00 install. 50 Mbps internet. total bill with phone and internet including taxes per month/70-75 dollars depending on the taxes. Your sales team are absolute crooks and I want you to listen to the sales call and tell me that I am wrong. Only by the luck of the modem not showing up to my house today did i call customer service and this is what i was sold: no credit to my account, no credit/debit card, 125.00 for an install, 105.00 plus taxes each month. You should be ashamed of these sales tactics. bait and switch is disgusting. If you care about your business you will listen to that call and call me back with what you believe happened on that call.

• Superb post however I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this topic? I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Appreciate it!

• CenturyLinkHelp

Hello April. My name is Joey and I’m with CenturyLink. I’m sorry to hear about the recent trouble you’ve had with your account with us. Our team would be happy to look into this for you. We just ask that you contact us at TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com with your account information and details on the issue. Once received, we’ll do all we can to help out. Thanks.

Joey H