HomeAdvisor Reviews and Complaints by Consumers and Customers

Homeadvisor.com SnapShot

Last Updated On: December 18, 2014

HomeAdvisor Corporate Contact

Business Name: Home Advisor Inc.
14023 Denver W Pkwy Bldg 64
Golden, Colorado 80401 USA

Corp Phone Number: 303-963-7200
Corp Email: partnerships@homeadvisor.com
Company Contact: Chris Terrill - CEO
Corp Website: homeadvisor.com

HomeAdvisor Customer Ratings and Reports

Latest HomeAdvisor Complaint

Is HomeAdvisor a Rip Off, Fraud or Have They Scammed You? WARN OTHER CONSUMERS By Sharing

Category: Staffing / Job Headhunter Directory ListingHome Advisor Inc. ListingParent: IACResponse From Company

SCAMMER BEWARE HOMEADVISOR WILL ROB YO

I must say signing up to generate leads to help are business sounded like a good idea, well I was wrong, HOMEADVISOR’S business is nothing but a scam, very unorganized and you can never get the same answer from anyone you talk to. I called to cancel my account, for one never authorized them to use MY debit card for recurrent transactions, someone else in our office did, so i called to canceled.

THEY TRIED THEIR hardest to let me know this was not a scam and they do try to get you good leads.. bull****, every single lead was differently priced and they could not tell you why one was worth 80 dollar and another was 180 dollars… I also told them when I WAS on the phone that I was not going to pay the outstanding balance on my account as they called it bc we have no received any other leads since the last amount was taking out of my account. They said the balance was for leads and I laughed.

I was change 150 dollars say on the 4th and I canceled on the 6th and there was a balance of 110 dollars. HA well after telling them on a recorded line they say I told them not to change my account.. LOW and Behold, this morning I check my account and sure enough those snakes took was was WRONGFULLY theirs.

THEY ARE THE worst, and I HAVE never written a review on an company and Im not usually this type of person, I usually just learn from my mistakes but I would like to warn potential professionals this is def not the route to go, stay clear of home advisors.

NOT ONLY are the leads horrible people just want estimates they never buy and its just ridiculous that they can take 150 dollars from you giving an estimate.. This company is nothing but a huge joke.. I will contact my bank and they will credit back my account. Im not going to let them scam me anymore. SCREW YOU HOME ADVISOR.

Official Responses from HomeAdvisor

By: Dan Kerley On: September 12, 2014

2nd Response From Dan Kerley – Public Relations Representative at HomeAdvisor

HomeAdvisor strives to offer the best customer service, customer satisfaction and advertising in the industry. We take all feedback very seriously and want to address any questions, comments or concerns. If you would like to speak with someone at HomeAdvisor, please send your contact information to emailus@homeadvisor.com and we will have someone reach out to you.

Thank you.

Dan Kerley

By: Mandy Black On: October 24, 2012

Hi Sales Lead Scam Victim, I am sorry to hear your concerns with your account. We do match you up with leads based off of the zip codes, spend targets and categories in which you choose to receive and our billing typically does automatically pull on a weekly basis. I would like to look into your account with you and see if I can clear up any questions and concerns you may have as to what happened here. You may reach me directly at 303-963-8066 or mblack@homeadvisor.com.

Thank you for your time.

10 Most Recent HomeAdvisor Complaints

More About HomeAdvisor

Parent Company: IAC/InterActiveCorp - 555 West 18th Street, New York, New York
Related Complaints - Service Magic & My Remodeling Services Inc.& J2 Contractors LLC
Complaints about Home Advisor Pro

Consumer Comments For HomeAdvisor

• I went on HA to find a handyman to repair some walls in my finished basement and to repaint the walls in 2 rooms, I know the rule of thumb is at least 3 estimates. I chose a handy man who had good reviews from customers; he called me and set an appointment to come to my home. He was supposed to show on Saturday between 10 am to 11 am to give me an estimate. Well, 11 o’clock came and went and at 11:45 I called him to see where he was and all he did was talk in circles about why he hadn’t shown on time and then told me he would be at my home at about 12:30. He arrived at 12:45 and I went over the work I wanted completed, I asked him to work up a price 2 different ways one to include cleaning all the walls first before beginning the repairs and painting and the other to include the repairs and painting, only. I told him I would not hire him on a time and material basis that I would only accept a contract price to which he replied, “Don’t you trust me?” I told him, it’s not that, I’m smart and I only will hire on a contract basis. Again he started to talk in circles and after about 20 minutes he finally gave me an verbal estimate for the cleaning of the walls,the repairs and the painting for the 2 rooms of $1,500 but not a price omitting the cleaning of the walls. He tried to convince me he needed to apply 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint to the walls. (The walls are in decent shape, they just need to be wiped down, the sheet rock needs repairs and a couple coats of fresh paint applied.) So then and there I knew he was trying to pull the wool over my eyes because I wasn’t changing the existing color of the paint on the walls. I asked him to work up and estimate for me in writing and he told me he doesn’t make written contracts!! Then he tried to pressure me to start the work right away and was trying to convince me I didn’t need to be home for him to do the work. I told him about 5 times I would not have him do the work unless I was home because I have dogs and I don’t want them to get out and get hit by a car (not to mention I don’t know this man from Adam and I won’t give him or anyone I don’t know carte blanche to my home when I’m not there )but he kept ignoring what I said and continued to try to do the work when I was gone.
    1. This handyman did not show on time for the initial estimate and never called me to let me know he was running late. I understand things come up I am not an unreasonable woman, but he never called me out of courtesy and that was a major strike for him as far as I was concerned.
    2. He refused to have a written contract to perform his services. Why?
    3. He was trying to gain access to my home when I was not there and was insisting to come when I was not home as opposed to trying to work together with a reasonable timing schedule.
    4. Wanted me to believe the walls needed 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint when that’s not the case; two coats of fresh paint would do it.
    a) Was he trying to pad the job with unnecessary work to get more money?
    b) Insisting I not be home when he did the work….was this because he had no intention of applying 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint and I would know this if I were home?
    c) Had intentions of taking things from my home when I was gone?

Needless to say I won’t even consider this handyman. It’s really ironic
    because I am a woman and for some reason a lot of men, NOT ALL, think
    women are morons when it comes to construction but I had been in the
    construction business for over 20 years and I am all too familiar with
    sub contractors. I found this site the day after this handyman came to my home and I want to pass my experience on to others. Perhaps there are legitimate contractors on HomeAdvisor but I won’t try this service again. Good Luck Everyone

• the sheet rock needs repairs and a couple coats of fresh paint applied and the walls needed to be cleaned of what? Wallpaper? Sounds like a lot of work, totally different tools to bring up and down basement stairs for repairs(replacing drywall? a simple patch? tape/finish?texture?), ‘cleaning??????” then priming, then painting two rooms TO MATCH existing?….Contractors don’t like to leave their bids because consumers use them as if the contractor actually did the work so the insurance pays’ the consumer, the contractor gets audited, and the consumer gets the money and then has their brother-in-law to do it (like crap) for free. Contractors don’t like to be home when you are because you stand near them, talk to them, ask them to fix things that wasn’t in the plan (for free), and basically bother them while they work. You also don’t like the mess they make and sometimes your kids are annoying too. In addition, they don’t like dragging all their several iterations of tools (to repair, clean, texture, prime, paint) past your breakfast table while your sitting there. And re the contractor being late. Call him – say, hey, remember you were going to be here on a Saturday because I, as a consumer expect YOU to work 7 days a week for me, but, I am only available during the time you see your grandkids? He won’t mind a reminder. He appreciates your understanding that he may have a WEEKEND too

• HOME ADVISOR offered their service to me and I accepted. They sent me four leads for my home project. Three of the four had no experience in the job being planned. The one business that was experienced and licensed came to the job site, looked over the job, took measurements and their estimate bid is pending. I tried Yellow Pages but was not successful in locating a contractor. I was most successful by asking contractors called if they would recommend skilled technicians for the job as I described the work needed. I will be getting three bids one as a result of a contractor by HOME ADVISOR and two as suggested from my phone inquiries to related contractors.

• Hello all,
    I too feel your pain. I am a service connected veteran owned and operated HVAC business in Missouri. Just today I caught home advisor sending my leads to multiple other companies in the area. Of course they are charging each one of us for the lead. About 30% of the leads turn into actual business, the rest hang up the second you call them. Even worse yet, some of them demand to know where you got their number. And even more never return your call. I am college educated and I am no dummy, it doesn’t take a genius to see what they are doing. They create multiple false lead and send them to all companies in the area that are in your same industry and signed up with their service. Does it shock anyone that we are all singing the same song about the mysterious 30% ? That is all you will get. Its their tactic. today I screamed at the customer service rep and told him I want the money credited back ASAP for sending my lead to all of my competitors. Of course this was credited back instantly. but every other time you request a credit back they give you a line of bullshit about how they cant. Threaten to call Megan Kelly on fox news and its done right then and there. If anyone out there want’s t join forces and take up action against them. Call A-Z Air & Refrigeration llc in Granby MO. I would be more than pleased to help out. This style of business is unethical to say the least. Its all about the money too them, not good business. How about this Home Advisor, only charge for leads that actually lead to business… or even yet. Only charge for the ones you actually get to speak too!!! P.S. the secretary of state in MO has already been notified

• Home Advisor is a marketing Company that provides the information…… the offer no warranties or guaranties of any sort…. they are a digital Yellow Pages…. the first contractor was not even in my state.
    Use them for what they are…… a list of contractors

• My problem is that they only show positive reviews when we now know there were unhappy clients. We read the good reviews listed and made a decision to hire partially based on those. The fact is, CIC,LLC In Black Mountain, NC isn’t living up to their claims. The work has slowed considerably, the boss doesn’t even show up as he did when he was first hired, but takes other jobs on instead of doing ours. ALSO, he was hired partially because his estimate was less . What we didn’t know was it was less because he didn’t include a large portion of the work in his estimate!!!!!GET THIS>>>>He said we have to pay more to have the inside of our addition completed because he didn’t include that in the estimate!! And a portion of the outside was never in the plan to be completed also (the bottoms of concrete support posts). We’re very unhappy with this company and feel we’re being ripped off. IF you hire this company, be sure EVERY detain is listed in the contract, don’t ASSUME he is including ANYTHING. You pretty much need to know enough about construction yourself to not get smacked with extra charges to insure the contract lists every detail of the job. (In regards to him not showing up to work, he made a statement regarding his previous client “I don’t know why she thinks I need to be there overseeing the job”. THAT should have been a clue how much interest he demonstrates to his clients since he was working to begin OUR project before he completed hers! And now he’s bore with ours so has gone on to the next job before OURS is done)

• horrible company wont stop calling me high pressure sales blowing up my email box told them over a dozen times stop calling not interested in them whatsoever they keep calling anyways told them we are all convicted felons lolol they still called back what a stupid outfit they wont go away after being told so

• I am a General Contractor for 30+ years now, and I have a partnership business with my wife of 20 years. We signed up for Home Advisor (then Service Magic) approx 4 years ago, and while the closing rate (about 30% overall) has been less than stellar, the overall business volume has been terrific. We have clients(about 35 so far) that we got from the service (12-18 dollar leads) that have stayed with us for years, and continue to call for work to this day….not all the leads are going to turn in to business; sometimes consumers are just ‘feeling around’ to get a price, or to get a sense of what is out there (this is a chance to ‘make a friend’, and maybe they call you later someday), and granted, (sometimes they are just jackholes), I get that, too….most home projects start as a consumer asking questions, and it takes a lot of persistence and commitment, follow up and patience to get people to do business with you. As of today, I have over 100 verified reviews posted on my page, of which 99+% say ‘would use this pro again’, and that is not an accident. I work hard, I am HONEST with people about the cost of our professional service, and about our $45 trip charge to come out (though we credit that amount toward the actual work that ends up being done), and the fact that I am not the cheapest guy to do business with, but it WILL BE DONE RIGHT (and then I actually follow through with that and make d**n SURE it’s right) .I’m not afraid to admit when I am out of my depth, and bring in the appropriate professional(s) to do what I can’t or won’t do. Clients appreciate honesty. I try very hard to ensure that EVERY CLIENT, EVERY TIME is as happy as I can make them…..Now I grant that I have had a LOT of what I call “dead” leads, meaning people who just don’t have the money, intention, or desire to complete ANYTHING,(approx 70 %), or just never get in contact, but that does not mean that it is a bad investment or a bad service. The road to redemption is hard and long, but patience and persistence win the day, always. In the end LOVE WINS. Love what you do, and the money will come. Just because you are paying for something does not automatically entitle you to be handed a ‘laydown’….you still have to sell yourself, your business, and your professionalism on every call, every time….be a hero whenever you can, and people will notice after awhile. Don’t whine about losing money, that’s part of the risk in being in business….some days you win, and some days you lose. Home Advisor is not a magic bullet, though the HA staff may sell it that way sometimes (and I agree that’s wrong), but just one more vehicle through which to promote your business and your service….just because it’s a pay-per-use service does not mean every lead will return money to you, you have to average it out over all the leads and all the business you do with those that do purchase. It’s called overhead, guys. Happy Trails :)

• Dman, you sound like a reputable professional who prides himself on the quality and ethic of his work. Just curious, what region do you service? Thanks in advance!

• I hired Ogburn Construction from their site with all A plus ratings for a garage/man cave. What a mistake. At this time ,it`s been over a year. Spent the winter with taped up windows and heat that kept shutting down. Had to put in space heaters to keep the pipes from freezing. From the very start one delay after another and every phase was screwed up, needing correction and casing further delays. I can`t remember a single county inspection that they passed on the first time, one failed 4 times. HVAC guy has been back 4 times, one electrical fire and two plumbing leaks. This has been nothing but a bad nightmare. Have had to get other people in to fix just about everything. Bad reviews just seem to go away, no way this is an A plus company, nor will I use Home Advisers again.

• Hi my name is Amanda, I just wanted to let you all know who have made complaints about home advisor that they are all true, you see I have worked for different contractors and I dealt with Service Magic and Home Advisor this is what I was hired for. I personally found out that if you submit a lead for credit, if they can’t get a hold of them, they will deny you the credit. I just found this out. I also know that the total that they charged to our credit card from Sept of 2013 till now for leads that should have been credited was $1,200.00 If you should decided to use this service be warned to not use a credit card with a lot of money on it. They will charge it once a week. I have wasted hrs and hrs with these people fighting for credits. I have done my research. Trying to get a hold of someone high up is impossible. DON’T USE THIS SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Very unsatisfied. I live in rural Iowa. I had an account with someone that Home Advisor must have bought. I guess they had my credit card on file. I don’t believe I ever used them or had any leads, but some sleazy salesman got me to sign up many years ago for some free trial or something…..All of the sudden, after 4 or 5 years since I signed up I start to see this monthly charge on my account. They are charging the credit card out of nowhere!! I go on the website after finding my name/password and see that they are asking me to update my credit card. The reason is that the one they are charging has an expiration date a few years ago!! I don’t know about how credit cards get charged, do they just keep trying a different date until one works? Does it not matter if the date is right?

I called and talked to a sleazy dude who finally claimed that they would refund the 2 months worth of charge that did nothing for me. I sure hope he told the truth and will give the refund and close this account with these losers.

• 1. You had an account with someone that HomeAdvisor must have bought? What does that mean?
      2. You guess they had your credit card on file? OK……..
      3. You don’t believe????
      4. 4-5 years of billing and it came out of nowhere? Tell me more

I wonder why things didn’t work out.

• I just signed up as a contractor with Home Advisor. I pray that this works out. I have not heard from my representative as to the status of the application process. He said he could have it done within four hours. Its been two days. I have a small family own constructions business. I don’t want is to lose money. I am hoping for the best. Reading these comments is starting to make me question myself.

• Shirley I have worked for different contractors for over 10 years now and I still do, I deal with Home Advisor all the time. They give you bogus leads, they lie about their guide lines and they only make one phone call to see if the lead is bogus after you submit for credit. I strongly advise you to not deal with this company. Angie’s List is much better and you will get leads from them real leads, call angie’s List.

• Home Advisor never charge anyone that has not been contacted by their Rep or a Home Advisor Customer service employee so if Shirley Onyango check the bank statement she would see that there was never any charges place on her account, If she was not approve she had something on her back ground that prevented her from being a home advisor member, they go back 25 years plus on Felony ..So Shirley Onyango Whats the truth when was your Felony ?

• Spelling? Grammar?

• Angie’ s List, really. Amanda, you have lost any credibility that you may have had.

• As a contractor/victim of Home Advisor, RUN!!!

• On Feb. 25th,2014 I had Nelson Electric who was offered to me by Home Addviser.com it was a 30ft of line from junction box to put in a plug with a preexisting condoit and in the junction box a 20 amp bracker for a 120 v line. they called and founf out what was needed to do the job, nothing was ever mentioned about a service charge to come out ,when he finished the job and made out the bill he charged 4 hrs. labor at $72.55 per hr. which came out to be $292.20 and charged a 50 mile truck fee on a job that should not of taken more then a hour to complete the job, the final bill was $388.47, I feel I was over charged by at least $188.47. His Explanation for the 4 hrs.was they charge for the drive out here plus the $50.00 truck fee, I didn’t hire a professional driver I thought I was hiring a electriction to come out and do a simple job that should have taken at most 1-1/2 hrs.

• I’m thinking of joining HA, all the complaints sound very similar to my experience with constructiondeal.com.

I’m not sure what to do it’s hard to believe anything you read these days.

• Not a good service. They are a rip off.

• don’t do it they will keep taking money we been fighting with them 2 months to cancel mean while they have taken almost 1000 out of our account

• TRUST ME DONT USE THIS SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• RUN AS FAR AWAY from HomeAdvisor as you can!!! If you don’t take this advice, you will be SO sorry! I wish I had done my research before getting screwed by these losers!

• People!!! STAY AWAY FROM HOMEADVISORS!! DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!! On your free profile your phone number will be replaced with their phone number! They will send you Used leads!!! Their customer support number doesn’t respond!!! If you want to cancel account, you will not able to. There are no links where you can go and cancel. You will be having very hard time to find a way to cancel your account. If you refer them client, they will not put referral fee of 100$ to your account as they promise. Do not put your friends and family to problems with HomeAdvisor, you will regret.

Let me tell you about my BAD, BAD Experience with HomeAdviors. At first I placed my business on their free directory. My phone number was replaced with their own phone number and of course clients reached answering machine or their Representative who will offer services from other companies NOT YOURS! Then I got a call from HomeAdvisor Representative who offered me a deal 49$ 99 cents one-time fee for membership and 9$-17$ per lead. I decided to give a try and get leads from Homeadvisor.com

The lies starts from their sales people… and ends with a customer support team. “There are 49$ one-time fee for the membership and a fee for each lead you get.” I asked Representative 2 times, “Is it only one time fee of 49$???” And ask her to confirm. Respond was “Yes only one time” (by the way they recorded the conversation….as well I did :):) Then oops… Surprise, you will find charges of 59$ every month… even not 49$ 99 cents. You call them and ask what is going on and ask them to listen to recorded conversations, conversations no longer available. Yes, you will start to receive leads. You respond to that leads in a seconds. You email them. You call them and YOU WILL NOT GET RESPOND FROM CLIENTS. Then you start wonder why it is happening? It should be a reason.

You can experiment and place an order /project for your type of business on same zip code where is your company is. What’s happened next… you will get call from HOMEADVISOR REPRESENTATIVE who will offer you a help to match your project with a business. And what I got… the Rep contacted me over the phone with only one business!!!!

He didn’t give me a choice!!! I have talked to that company they asked me to sign with them to do my project. And when I asked the Rep to give me more choices of companies he said it is only one company available in my zip code. Sorry, what about my company??? Is my company a ghost??? (As they stated in our agreement, lead will be sent to at least 4 companies.) So from my understanding they have companies who are Priority for them. I discussed with that company to do my project. And 3 hours later, I got my project – came to me as a lead. It is mean HomeAdvisors send us leads which already USED.

NO WONDER. Why we didn’t get any respond on those leads we got from HomeAdvisor because they already used. I felt like a homeless person who got a leftover food from the table. I called HomeAdvisor to Pro customer support service, waited on line about 40 minutes, didn’t get connected. Then contacted Live support chat asked to cancel my account, they called me right away. I question them about this unfair practice and ooops, customer service REP find out why… because your leads are regular leads. You have to get executive leads which are double the price. OK I got that Executive leads and did experiment again. I placed an order for my project on a same zip code where is my business is and guess what’s happened? The same I got a call and got connected to only one business… not mine of course :):) And I felt again as homeless person with leftover food.

• To Cancel all you have to do is very simple Call the Rep that set your account up and you will not be billed anything from that point on it’s so simple even a cave man can do it, question how come home advisor have a A+ rating with the BBB ( Better Business Bureau ) and their not a paid member.

• Have to pay to be rated like that on the BBB…something’s up…

• Home Advisor recommended INFINITY BUILDERS to refinish our kitchen cabinets. The project was a disaster. Not only were
    our kitchen cabinets damaged beyond repair, but the freshly painted walls and door were damaged along with our refrigerator which was hit with the sanding machine. The color and finish we chose were not even close, and the kitchen was left a mess. The
    lacquer and sealer used during the process were so toxic they set off the fire alarm and alarm system. The EPA was notified
    and will investigate the situation. Part of the island wooden hood was left unfinished. The cabinets looked 100% better before this nightmare was started. They scammed us for $3,600.00 dollars and left us with damages amounting to at least $25,000. to replace the kitchen cabinets which are beyond repair. They demanded the money be paid in CASH! INFINITY BUILDERS is owned by JEFFREY & MARC DARGI, P. O. BOX 1031, Southwick, MA 01077. I would NOT recommend using Infinity Builders, since they lied to us repeatedly, and scammed and ripped us out of $3,600. IN CASH!

• Home Advisor is a joke. They change their name from service magic to home advisor. The contractor they sent us to help us with our church building took $25000.00 from us and ran away. We reported to home Advisor who promised to do something. But came back and told us that they were unable to recover our money back from the contractor. They went ahead and told us that they are going to remove this man from their list. Guess what, after 2 months, I called home Advisor for another job behold the man is still there list.

• I have the phone number for infinity I will post it later.a

• Some of you contractors have no clue on how lead generation works or how the competition works. It’s also clear not all of you are contractors but the competition of Home Advisor and Service Magic. I should know, I worked for the competition, and my job? My job was to do what you do, go on line making up phony, negative reviews about the competition.

For the past 4 1/2 years that has been my job and why no one should give any credit to any website that dosn’t verify posted reviews.

All this freaking websites that gives people a place to complain also gives the competition a place to make up phony claims.

The bottom line, none of these websites should be believed. Yeah I know, it’s true because it was on the internet.

• HOME ADVISOR IS A RIP OFF! CONTRACTORS BEWARE! HOME OWNERS BEWARE! do your own research. I am total proof that home advisor does not do a complete background on their contractors! I had a service under a different company name and had two bad reviews and they terminated my service. Ok life goes on. We started a new company and rejoined home advisor with me being the same owner. Had the service for two years, they collected my money and stopped the service because of some overcharging issues. We decided a year later to rejoin and they told me I could not because of my prior company and complaint! So you just caught on to all this now? Which tells me HOME ADVISOR did not properly do their homework on my company if this is the case. Reminder you talking about a contractor that has no legal issues but two customer complaints with a prior company that was NEVER fully investigated with my insurance company and both of which never pursued any other action with me. Long story short contractors and home owners you can find professionals on your own. Don’t waste your money with this service!

• Poor service when calling asking a question to home advisor. Rude and you wait on hold 30-1 hr. Never will use again. NO one to work the issues out with besides mad phone reps.

• HORRIBLE SERVICE NEVER GET HOME ADVISOR SERVICE THEY STILL UR MONEY AND U NOT EVEN SEE

• Where is our protection? Who helps the consumer? Why cant the government stop these scams? They can tract internet/email and money transactions, so why cant they stop it? Who polices, and regualtes these work at home and other like scams?
    Who?

• I was just contacted by Home Advisor to see if I was going to be the contractor who filled their last available slot in my area, When they wanted by SSN and date of birth to do the background check I balked. I asked them to send me an email or snail mail application and again they pressed for me to sign up right now so that I don’t miss the last spot. Its been 4 hours and still no email from them. Sure glad I waited and checked them out online. Thanks for all of you who took the time to write to this site!

• thanks brandon,im with you.i paid for the service,and in two weeks,got nothing.are you guys gonna tell me,thats the way they work?

• I have been with Homeadvisor for 3 years. I have sold well over 300,000.00 in work with this method. The trick with this as in any advertising is to know your demographics. You have to adjust your tasks according to the seasons, hand pick the zip codes you will get the most bang for the buck. Over three years my homeadvisor costs are around 6-8%, which is high but produces 30-40% of my revenues. You must build relationships with the customers you service which reduces overall costs by gaining repeat work.
      Gaining good ratings also adds tremendously! In my case I have developed a mirroring online presence from the 3 years doing this and I get calls out of the blue that I didn’t need to pay for. Bad leads come in and they also need to be managed. Ask for credits. I always call so that I can state my case and get those credits. 90% of those bad leads are credited for me this way.
      So far a 4.84 rating over 34 jobs that rated me. About a 65% of my customers will end up rating me. I have at least 2 customers that hire me each year and spend 10,000.00 or more after my first encounter with them through Home advisor. If you work this system it works.

• I contracted with a general contractor referred by HomeAdvisors. What a mistake !!! We can just call him Paul for now, On the 10th of December. 2013, he wrote up a contract as to what he would do and a finish date of 12-24-13. Obviously the date has come and gone. I gave him half of his bid. For the last week or so, he has been d*****g me for the other half. I keep telling him he’ll be paid when the job is complete. Now he wants another $400 for unexpected material. As far as I am concerned, he has already breached the contracted by not having it complete by his "end date". His most recent estimate of being done is now the end of next week, around the 3rd or 4th of January, 2014. Does anyone in their right mind think I should pay him anything extra? Should I even pay him the balance when the work was supposed to has been completed on the 24th of December?

• I am a contractor in upstate N.y. have been with homeadvisor pro about 6 months, shut leads down when out of town working on commercial work. Turned leads on last nite at 8 oclock before 8oclock next morning while eating breakfast 3 leads at 50 bucks a pop hit my cell. Called total kitchen rehab; called back customer stated
    he never wanted anything but a fence repair ! Other two leads no return calls, d**n breakfast cost me 150.00 , went to my bank transferred all funds to another acccount, no response yet from h.a. who I used to be able in touch with all hours. Lets see what my local news; att. gen, think about wire fraud.

• We are an electric services company. When we first signed up with HA, most of the managers were skeptical. Our sister business, an appliance repair company, was a HA customer for a year prior and had few leads and little success. We began our company’s efforts with HA as a LEAD GENERATOR and have been very pleased. The leads began rolling in almost immediately and gave us the chance to get our quality CSR and techs in front of customers. Yes, if you’ve entered as a customer you’ll get lots of calls; that’s the nature of the beast. Your job is to filter out the pretenders, our job is to make sure you know we’re the best, most reliable ES company on the planet. Some businesses are not a good fit for HA, but it’s been our most consistent lead provider.

• I have been with home advisor for 1 1/2 years i can honestly say that in the beginning i was a little disappointing in the whole lead generation process but after sticking it out and working their system i have found it quite profitable, i achieved this with great customer service fair pricing, and quality work along with the motivation to build a thriving business. check us out at Duncans fireplace and masonry restorations……Thank you home advisor you guys rock for small business owners like me

• these people writing the negative are with other companies just wanting to bash homeadvisor – good company – helpe me out!

• I have been with Homeadvisor for almost a year, I really don’t know why I stayed that long except for the fact I am a fairly new business and I am trying to build my customer base. I have rec’d leads however I would say 1/3 of the leads are fake or people are just as they say"kicking the tires". Many leads never return phone calls made in an attempt to set an appt.. While I am paying for them to not be serious about their project.

• Hi Craig, we all feel your pain, I have been with former Service Magic which is now HomeAdvisor, I used to look at the big picture, but the leads are "bogus" more then 60% of the time, I have been in business since 1989 in the plumbing and heating field, the problem is we still make money on the other 40% of the leads…….
      But they are making a mint off contractors, charging all of us for the same bogus leads, It just cries "class action lawsuit".
      I take the time to follow up with them on all bogus leads, very rare to get a credit, if you do you’ve earned it because you have to call or email multiple times. It is good concept they are just ripping all of us off, plain and simple.

• I signed up with Homeadvisor a few days ago. The first lead they sent me was in and adjacent city that I don’t service. They said they would credit my acct, so I will be watching. Just in case, I only gave them a safe shopper credit card number limiting their ability to charge me. The most they can get it $100. Maybe you all should do the same.

• I too own a sprinkler company. Home Adviser has been a huge asset to my business. You pay for the lead not the sale. 10-15 dollars for a lead is cheaper than web hosting at 300 per month. Highly recommend this service to any business owner!

• web hosting is about 9 bucks a month…i’ve paid as much as 50…but 300 is a joke!

• 300 a month!? What f**ckin webhosting provider are YOU using? Webhosting is from about $6.99 to $49.99 (depending on how many extras you get). James, Joe, and the rest of the people relentlessly defending Home Advisor WORK for Home Adviser. Their review are FAKE as f**ck. You’d have to be extremely stupid not to see that.

• I DO NOT work for Home Advisor. Web hosting is cheap but optimizing is another story. Check the prices. I am a school teacher and small business owner. I have had great success with their service. Feel free to look up my information: McCutcheon Irrigation in San Marcos Texas.

• Thats why you guys who get ripped off should hire internat marketing consultants we would steer you right.

• If you cant afford advertising this way’ just’-getout’ -ofit’…

• We were promised big results and positive profits for our house cleaning business. Bu the leads we got were bad, except for 1. Lost nearly $200 with no positive return. Customer service is joke. Their job is to sooth you and continue billing you. SCAM

• BAR Services (Contractor) – We Got ripped off 2. Had to close dredit card account. Run!!!!! Just a big SCAM.
    F – Them aka Home Advisor lol

• My story is also very similar to other complaints: big promises, bad results. They don’t provide credits for invalid leads easily or at all in some cases. Attention Contractors… Beware! You should not do business with HomeAdvisors.

• You have to be business minded. The leads are distributed to several companies at the same time. What I do is before the automated lead which comes to me overe my phone, I quickly hang up , go to the Home Advisor app retreive the lead’s name and call the number. Most of the time the homeowner is still on the site( because first call, first served). you must know how to talk to the potiential customer. I say I am calling in reguards to your service request and I would be gad to come out and give them an estimate. I have a better than 80% closing rate. I turn my leads on , get 3 or 4 leads then turn them off until those are addressed. I may not get them all but that’s how Home advisor works. Sometimes you have to bid lower than normal to secure that homeowner will call you back providin you do a exceptional job. Use you ratings as a selling point as well.

• OMG….They have done the same thing to us. They give us a contact phone # and of course NO ANSWER…..we are into them for 300.00…..RUN!

• I have used Service Magic in the past with great success. However, my most recent experience was with the new owner Home Advisor. The quality of professional using this company has changed. I interviewed a young lady for cleaning services in my home and decided to hire somebody else. This woman stalked me on the telephone and harassed me. She called me over fifteen (15) times in a matter of days. During her last call she played rap music into my answerphone for four (4) minutes. I contacted the company and was advised, a week later, by their Customer Solutions Team, that they would tag this individuals file. I feel sorry for anybody who hires this young woman–she is unstable. I can’t even imagine what she is capable of doing should she be hired and susequently fired by anybody.

• I just joined and now seeing this sight realize its time to back to old school word of mouth.
    perhaps someone on this sight can recommend some free quality internet advertising.

• Home Advisor is very beneficial for many of these contractors as shown above because they don’t screen the contractors to make sure they are properly licensed and insured for the work they do. For example, I had a drywall and painting company do work on my home for $18,000.00 and I later found out that the contractor we hired was a class C instead of a Class B or A. What a scam!!!

• Stephen, Class A contractors are general engineering contractors, class B are general building, and class C is specialty like home improvement, such as painters, dry walling, roofers, landscape, masons etc. are class C. It’s not a grade, it’s a classification! Now if they did a bad job, that’s a different thing, always check BBB thought you should know!

• George, you are right on. I laughed as I read this sorry response from Stephen Johnson. Hey Stephen, do your research.

• That’s funny because an agent from Home Advisor recently called me to sign up with their company. The agent told me that the reason people from the general public/home owners come to them is because they ARE screening the contractors and the employees to make sure contractors entering into someone’s home is legit. Everything I’m reading about this company along with my gut feeling is that my company needs to steer clear.

• I’VE BEEN WITH HOME ADVISOR FOR ATLEAST 3 YEARS AND THEY HAVE BEEN TREMENDOUS IN THE GROWTH OF MY COMPANY. THESE ARE LEADS THEY ARE SENDING YOU GUYS NOT SALES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TAKE THE TIME AND LEARN HOW TO BELIEVE IN YOUR BUSINESS AND IT WONT BE DIFFICULT ONCE YOU GET IN FRONT OF CUSTOMERS!!!!!!!

• Thanks for the heads up guys. And to think I was actually thinking of joining. SMH

• It took me 3 days since opening account with them 5 leads ( 2 bogus, 2 not responding and one maybe ) $ 247.00 for nothing. My mistake is that I did not do the homework like you.

• You guys are idiots and don’t understand how lead generation works. I have a sprinkler system company and use Home Advisor and other 3rd parties. They are not sending you customers information that they think you would like. The customer is filling this out. If the phone number is wrong or they are shopping around then thats not Home Advisors fault. You sit here and cry because your paying for a lead. A lead….. not a sale. Learn to run a business and turn your leads to sales.

People like you crack me up and thank the lord this is my competition in the business world.

• haa’haa!–>>>JAMES <<< YOU ARE SO CORRECT’_Imature_not ready for the real BUSSINES WORLD’_I’VE just GOTIN’_and already making PROFITS’ …5 new steady customers’ love it’, over the last 1 1/2 I spent nearly ………………1000.00 ‘on newspaper advertising, not that many customers ‘either;..-also for the standing .;just got me the rite; connection from HOMEADVISOR a MILLION DOLLAR CLIENT’!!!already started working with him’…

• this lead costs money though. They send you and a million other contractors the same lead and say it is a "exclusive" to you. I don’t think anyone is crying about the lead but more so what a rip off this service really is. Homeowners and contractors really need to look into this service.

• James, you are an idiot. Its called a scam, as much as what you are! These so-called lead sale companies should be sued and closed down. Most of us know how to run a business that generates more money than your sorry business, but the fact remains that they are a SCAM. Idiots as yourself crack me up!

• I got an unsolicited call from a HA rep trying to sign me up, after I turned them down several times months before. I end up arguing with all their reps that normally start sounding like Used Cars Salesmen before their pitch is over. Cause I refuse to sign any agreement and refuse to give them auto access to my bank account. My point to them is to "bill the person wanting the work done" instead of billing the contractor of the subcontractor for their bread and butter. This really **** them off.

• Victor.
    I was working with Home Advisor known as Service Magic before,
    They sent me about 26 leads and I only got 3 of them. the customers never answered my calls.
    When I called customer service to cancel the service they told me that the customers they had sent me
    will call me in a couple of years. Now they are offering $1000 dollars free leads.

• danny
      same thing happening to me leads bad phone numbers and or e-mails and no credits when i can not contact the customer. 2 leads in one day and zero contacts. no help from home advisor

• So here is another one for you all. After several issues with previous leads, today we decided to test out their lead distribution process, so I get my tech support guy to setup a fake customer request through HomeAdvisor. Within 30 secs of the submitting the request online, we get the automated call from HomeAdvisor with details of the lead. While listening to the automated message, a competitor from 40 miles away calls my tech support guy responding to the lead. We didn’t even get thru the automated phone message and have a chance to "connect with the customer’. But you have pay for the lead anyway. This fake request was for a job in our own town / zipcode and yet someone 40 miles away gets the lead first. This is BS. The sales person from HomeAdvisor (Andre Dupree) lied to us about the process and lead billing. Told me that if the customer doesn’t call you back or engage then you will not be billed. That turns out to be a total lie. We closed our account with HomeAdvisor today after only 3 weeks. Total waste of time.

• I was contacted by Home advisor yesterday the sales rep was spoon feeding me bullshit and never did get to the answer of how much it will cost me or how the program worked.Said he would give me a free website for local biz and that they pay google 7 million dollars a year to get their websites ranked #1. ha I know this to be BS too. I told him so and told him I was done talking and hung up…he called back 2 more times. I guess no means call back twice.

• I feel for you contractors ’cause I get where you are coming from and I believe you! I am a homeowner. I wanted to get some quotes for a carport. While searching the web for local contractors, I came across the HomeAdvisor site, so I called. When the HA rep asked about my cell number (apparently had it from some old service magic project), I IMMEDIATELY TOLD HIM NOT TO GIVE OUT THAT NUMBER!, but the ****-hole did give out that number. Within 5 mins of talking to their JERK OF A REP!, my cellphone was ringing off the hook, at work! So, I’m sure that you contractors that got my cell phone number were totally **** when I did not answer. YOU CAN BLAME HA FOR THAT F@CK UP, NOT ME! I WILL NEVER CALL THOSE JACKASSES AGAIN! I will trash their name every chance I get. THIS COMPANY SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN, TOTAL FRAUD!!!! THIS COMPANY IS FRAUDING THE CONSUMER & THE CONTRACTOR!!! Doesn’t surprise me one bit that Chris Terrill is the CEO of these losers, have some pride in your company, dude!

• I am a contractor and used Home Advisor. The leads I received at first was pretty good. I landed about 3 out of 5. After a few weeks, the leads were bad. Wrong number, customers wanting work that I don’t do, and several shoppers. Needless to say after a couple of weeks, I was spending much more money and not getting good leads. Home Advisor did re-imberse a couple of the leads, but all in all; I am closing my account because its not panning out. Plus, 25 to 30 bucks a lead and not getting the job adds up.
    I agree with some of the comments. I think a great deal of the leads are known to be bad and they are selling them anyways. Poor ethics !

• my name is Danny and I am a web consultant for a company in Atlanta. I hear some many different things about Home Advisor litterally EVERYDAY. I even tested it out for myself when search for a landscaper, I was connected right to the call center of Home Advisor, where the lady had told me that the number to the contractor was wrong, then she said that the contractor wasn’t looking to take on anymore new customers, which made absolutely no sense. What business owner in 2013 will turn down new business??? So towards the end of that call I began receiving massive calls from about 4-5 different contractors for a least a week.

• HomeAdvisor is a scam, all things wrote here are very true. They gave address, phone, emails, and names and charged you already at your credit card, and no one will respond. They ripped us $700 and they don’t want to give the money back. HOME ADVISOR is A FRAUD. They are bogus. No leads at all. They need to put in jail.

• Hey Brandon, I completely understand where you are coming from on this issue. What kind of work do you do?

• Well, just a matter of minutes ago, I went on Home Advisor.com looking for someone to do siding repair. They showed me only 2 companies-one I’d never heard of, and Sears. I was still looking at the page, debating whether I wanted to contact either company, when I got a call from Sears, who was all eager to do a free estimate on a complete redo with vinyl–until I made them understand all I want is a fairly small repair, to my HARDIEPLANK siding! I made this very clear on the Home Advisor website. I’m going to look somewhere else now.

• They where SERVICE MAGIC before they where HOME ADVISOR. They had a bad name
    before and as I read all the complaints, they are a bad company today. By the way this is the 3rd time they have changed their name?? MAKING ANY SENSE??

• I feel you. I’m a new business owner and I’m not even thinking twice about doing business with a company that changes their name so many times. That right there is telling me they have bad ratings and service.

• I just canceled my account with Home Advisor, For anyone thinking of advertising with them DONT!!!!!!!!

• Thanks all! I just got my C-10 in CA. I will stay away from these people.

• Ive never used or heard of homeadvisor but they somehow acquired my name and number. I have been getting calls from home inspectors on behalf of homeadvisor about a home im apparently purchasing. Im not even purchasing a home, nor have i ever inquired about one. Sounds to me like they are sending fake leads and illegaly using peoples information.

• File a BBB complaint. I own and operate a business . If Home Advisor doesn’t make you
      happy or respond within 30 days it goes down as a unresolved case. After getting a certain number of these unresolved cases ( and if your not happy with the results it goes down as unresolved. You can file on the computer just google filing a complaint with your BBB

• We are a contractor and last year we received over 7 leads in one day. Of the 7 leads
      only 1 was verifiable. The others where disconnected phone #s or in one case we called
      a customer for over a week figuring they where out of town. We finally had 2 technicians
      that where in the area and work for us stop by and see if anyone answered the door and had
      that name and phone #. Come to find out the name was wrong and the phone # given to us by Home Advisor was not thiers??

• I used the website to submit my request to one company. Next thing I know, without my consent, an account was created for me and my requests where sent to other companies. I have attempted to email homeadvisor.com directly and we will see what they have to say, though I don’t expect much.

• This is true and happens all the time. I used to work at HA and what they do is use affiliate relationships with other websites to drive traffic to them. What ends up happening is they do not announce that you have been directed to their site from the other you where on and so the consumer gets confused and often angry as they feel tricked by HomeAdvisor.

• Yesterday I began doing preliminary research into getting my roof replaced. I completed a few internet searches to start getting familiar with companies in my area, but since I am 1+ year away from wanting to begin the work, I did not contact any of the companies, I did not request any estimates, and I certainly did not provide my name or contact information to any website. To my surprise, I was called by 4 companies today who all left messages saying they were responding to my HomeAdvisor request. Confused and annoyed at this point, I called the phone number I could find for HomeAdvisor and the representative tried to convince me that I had requested their services at 1:30pm that afternoon (a time I just so happened to be busy at work) and she also tried to convince me they had an A+ rating on Better Business Bureau, despite me already looking up to see that they are not BBB accredited but instead have over 580 complaints against them. I am now fully convinced that HomeAdvisor hacked my personal information and tried to defraud the companies they presented my "lead" to. I am DISGUSTED.

• Yeah cuz companies spend all their IT to personally hack your info and spam you…grow up and join the real world where people do their jobs and idiots like you submit information online and then claim it to be harrassment. Let me guess your husband is miserable to your I am always right attitude, or you are single.

• They are dishonest! We have spent over $10, 000 + year to date and have experienced EVERYTHING you guys have. We call the lead back within 3 minutes and the clients have said we were the 6th person who has called from Home Advisor or they submitted the lead weeks ago and the work was already done. That was if we could get ahold of them. Most phone numbers are bad and emails are never responded to. When I spoke to a H/A agent his words were "We cannot guarantee the validity of the leads". What? But u will charge top dollar?

To the person who said "shame on the contractor" and look at your business… I agree, we did that and I personally managed the leads……. The only thing we learned was Service Magic or Home Advisor are taking advantage of businesses in hopes they wont pay enough attention to the leads to know they are a scam. Bottom line-I wouldnt pay $5 for one of their leads.

• I agree I used to work at HomeAdvisor and because of the dishonest dealings our network of contractors would turn over at a rate of 50% every six months.

• I HATE HOME ADVISOR! You contractors SHOULD be upset with these UNETHICAL LOSERS!!! I called to find a contractor to do a carport at my home in Garland, Tx. The 1st thing the rep asked about was my cell phone number? I told the rep IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS NOT TO GIVE OUT MY CELL PHONE! WITHIN 5 MINUTES OF HANGING UP WITH THE REP, I GOT 5 CALLS ON MY CELL! I prompty sent HA an email, telling them that I am TOTALLY PISSED and I would not be returnind ANY leads from them, especially the ones that called my cell phone, while I’m at work! So you contractors should NOT PAY FOR MY LEAD, IT WAS A DEAD LEAD THE MOMENT YOU GOT IT!

• As a consumer, I contacted Home Advisor for termite control suggestions, making it clear that orange oil would not suffice for this situation. They gave me 2 leads, both that do only orange oil. So they are providing lazy automated search. Of course I got a couple pushy emails about all this other stuff I had no use for. Thumbs down, no value added from Home Advisor.

• I’ve stopped doing business with Home Advisor because of their questionable business practices. I’ve received lead where I contacted a customer within Few mints of receiving the lead only to be told they already had the work completed. I’ve received leads with addresses and customers names that DON"T exist. About 90% of the leads are customers who won’t pick-up the phone or return phone calls or E-mail. I’ve wasted hundreds of hours of my time and hundreds of dollars with Home Advisor. They also told my customers false information which reflected badly upon my company. They are taking advantage of customers AND contractors.

• This is fraud. If you can document ( more than one instance ) in your local area, and get with at least 2-5 other contractors that have had this same experience you can go to the attorney generals office. MAKE SURE AND TWITTER AND FACEBOOK information
      about this company. I twitter and facebook 30 minutes a week. Also your local BBB is a good way to put a dent in their corvette. It takes about 30 minutes to fill out online and
      Service Magic ( Home advisors has 30 days to respond otherwise it goes down as
      unresolved ) If you are not happy with your results , it shows 1 unresolved complaint.

I own a business and ALWAYS RESOLVE my complaints if possible.

• It worked for me. I’m not a contractor but a consumer. I had 4-5 bids on a new furnace. All companies were legit. Competition gave me–the consumer–the ability to choose based on character, cost, and integrity. I’ll keep an eye out for any shady tactics but I got nothing so far.

• I was hired by Service Magic contractor to sophit vinle siding @ a Methodist Church. He sold job, got payment for materials, bought half of them, I subbed work, he was paid by church, an skipped out without paying me my last $400. Plus, committee man stated got more material money than suppost to, leaving the church with non refunded debit. Oh, by the way, my quality of work was good enough to do several jobs for them. Photos seen @ robertsonremodeling.weebly.com….. guess yu could say **** payed me.

• I’ve stopped doing business with Home Advisor because of their questionable business practices. I’ve received lead where I contacted a customer within 2 mins of receiving the lead only to be told they already had the work completed. I’ve received leads with addresses and customers names that DON"T exist. About 70% of the leads are customers who won’t pick-up the phone or return phone calls. I’ve wasted hundreds of hours of my time and hundreds of dollars with Home Advisor. They also told my customers false information which reflected badly upon my company. They are taking advantage of customers AND contractors.

• This company is the biggest rip off i have seen, i joined and quit 3 days later, thank god i
    did , they rip off contractors by not giving them leads that will lead to a job and in return
    you are expected to pay them for getting an email that leads to nothing !!!!!

• Home Advisor has false leads.. We received several leads and not one customer called us back and once we got curious, we decided to drive by with the address they gave us, and come to find out the house was barely being built. DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THEM!!!! You will lose your money, I promise!!!!

• Please call me or email me in connection with your experiences with HomeAdvisor.

Robert Ganski
      904-638-4226

• I am a contractor and have experienced fraud with this company

• Home Advisor is great for the home owner, They do everything for you to get the job done. You are able to get many quotes and check out everyones rating. As a home owner I thought it was great.

Now as i use Home advisor for my buisness I have found the down side to it. They dont let the homeowner no that once you put your info in that many contractors are charged $$$$ for your information. I myself have been charged $$$$ for BAD LEADS. This is were the home owner was goofing off and submitted info with no intentions on getting a quote. There are many home owners that wont even answer the phone.. Home Advisor rarely credits you any money back. Even though I have been charged big money that i never even got to bid on. I still have made money by using this site and word of mouth goes a long ways to satisfied customers.

• I went on line to get bids for changing a ceiling fan. I went with 1st Action Electric (Marty) and was very pleased.He arrived on time, was very nice and the job was done pretty quickly. I would recommend his comany to a friend.

Bev Oliveri

• I found a great website that blow home advisor out of the water. They charge a flat annual fee of $250 and you get listed on their website and the customer can reach out to you business directly. visit http://www.qwotester.com

• I called a local plumber number I found online for a water heater repair
    It turned out to be routed through the Home Advisor system with no warning.

So I went through the steps of having them forward my info on to the guy.
    When he finally called me back he quoted me $350 to replace a thermocouple

I went to Menards and did the repair myself for $6

Don’t waste your time with these ‘experts’… bah

• Homeadvisor or what ever, does anything illegal they can to defraud people out of money
    they claim i owe them for leads i never got, for leads i never contacted,im more than willing to pay them
    for anyone they say i called or contacted, but only if i got the leads, what they do is send the same lead several times and then try and charge people as much as they want and for leads they never got these people need to be shut down their nothing more than scam artist.

• Home Advisor must have sold our phone number and name to many, many contractors. We get from 2 to 12 calls most days. And it never ends. We hired our LOCAL contractor, after seeing that all of Home Advisor’s contractors were from L.A., 1-1/2 or more hours away. Our work has long since been done, but we are harrassed continually with more calls from calling rooms.

• I am so tired of hearing these these contractors complaining about Home Advisor. They are contractors failing in their own business. All home advisor can do is to provide the leads, it is your responsibility to make contact and sell. Quit crying and do something positive with your life and business.

• Start your own business, sign up with homeadvisor….THEN criticize us.

• So you are saying that Home Advisor will let just anybody who will pay them for the leads go out to peoples homes then? Even these contractors who are failing in their businesses, without any pre-qualification? You don’t see the outright fallacy in your logic (or lack thereof)? Please, remove hoof from mouth, then go see a doctor! You seem to be missing a connection between your skull bone and your mouth!!

• Home adviser does send some legitimate leads, I am a custom home builder, my leads cost about $65 a pop, there are 4 leads that they sent no answer on phone or email from client, what gets even better is my credit card was exspired, and they informed me but they had been sernding me so many bogus leads I never gave them a new card but they sent me bogus leads anyway, these are people that never answer or respond, I cant pay for that, and now they have sent it to collection, we really nead a class action law suit against them, its not the consumer who gets burned, so there happy it is the contractor.

• You’re an idiot with a BIG mouth!

• Hey Robert I am with Home advisor and been with them since 2010. I feel your comment is unjust and a little immature. Yes they provide the leads but half the customers never answer or don’t fill out the paper work correctly so we no we get charged for something we cant even do, or the customer doesn’t even want. Than Home Advisor wont give us a credit because the customer might change there mind in the next year or 2. What a joke. As far as failing on my job that is far from the truth. I don’t know you (prefer not to) but you have NO right to put any contractor or remodeler down unless you know the whole story. So please don’t show your true intelligence until you know what you are talking about.

• Excuse me Robert but I would call immediatly after I recieved a lead and would not get a response from lead time and time again! Others would say they were not ready that they were in escrow and would contact me when they were ready. Guess what? Never heard from them. I can go on and on.

• Suck an egg

• It’s not for contractors falling in their own business, its suppose to be additional advertising, but when you get 15 leads and no one calls you back what are you suppose to think, or when you get a lead at 11 PM and you call at 8 am and they claim a service was done on their home overnight you know its BS

• Obviously your a sucker.

• Home Advisor/Service magic do not make it clear to customers that their information is being sold to contractors. Most home-owners go on the website thinking they are about to get a price form an online calculator type of software. Service magic had so many horrible reviews, they changed their name to Homeadvisor. Do not fall for it!

• I am a consumer and it makes me mad to read these complaints from contractors. I used Home Advisor to find a contractor -Here’s what happened to me- I got an immediate response from about 10 contractors, by phone and by email. I spoke to most of them. A few were unable to do the work that needed to be done(Looking for a painter, someone to lay flooring, a someone to fix drywall in the bathroom and build a small ramp), 2 made appointments and never showed up although one called the next day and said that "He just got busy". The Handyman who did show up built a ramp that was too narrow (he promised to fix it, but never did) repaired the damaged drywall and fixed the ceiling(good job here) and then contracted to paint the bedroom. He charged 300.00 (We started at 200, but he kept adding work that he never completed, to increase the price. He walked off. leaving the job incomplete. and I paid him. He called later to try to add add’l work, but when I told him that I wouldn’t pay anymore, he cursed me out. Unbelievable! Home Advisor customer service was as good as gold. They did everything that they could do to help reach a resolution. When I couldn’t work it out, Home Advisor found another painter who had worked with them awhile. I hate to say this, but look to your own community for the fault in this and quit blaming it on Home Advisor.

• Here’s problem with your scenario, Lee Ann… You the home owner were taken care of, but HomeAdvisor promises the contractor that only 3-4 contractors, tops, will receive the same lead… You were contacted, you say, by "about 10 contractors, by phone and by email". HomeAdvisor lies to the contractors, the only ones paying for their service. Sorry, but these contractors have a right to complain.

• The problem with HomeAdvisor is that they promise the contractors who sign up to pay for leads, that no more than 4 contractors will get the leads….and here, you get responses from 10….I know this for a fact as I just stopped working with HomeAdvisor for this very reason. I paid $300 for 14 leads.I did get 2 jobs out of it but my profit is very very little. …And, I found that most customers used the 1st guy to call them, regardless of price…I only got a hold of 3 out of 14…I would call in no more than 30 seconds after the lead reached my phone. Leaving me to believe the leads don’t go out at the same time.

• I am right there with you Steve. I could hardly get their leads on the phone,much less get face to face with them. Most of the leads were people fishing for the cheapest price. I got one job out of 5 months of leads. All of my other forms of advertising work much better and are WAY cheaper.

• Dear Mark and Steve if you read Lee Ann’s post she had quotes for multiple jobs not just one. There in lies part of the problem you don’t read. Second you are responsible for presenting your business in a professional manner. If your not winning bids look at yourself and your business and stop blaming other companies for your failure. I’m familiar with their service and how it works if it was such a bad business then answer this question. How and Why does the company keep growing and retaing service professionals? The ones that fail are the ones that complain and blame the company. That is just a Fact of any business if they fail it’s always someone elses fault after all that is far easier than examining the real reason why they fail.

• Agreed and in this word is what home advisor is all about GREED !!!!!!!

• So, are you just a poor judge of character then, and HomeAdvisor is to be commended for helping you out of bad judgement? How did you end up with someone unqualified to do the work to begin with, a scamster? Hmmm, thank you for the pre-screening HomeAdvisor! And you paid the guy anyway? What I find "unbelievable" is your taking umbrage at your own lack of reading character! So out of the 5000 contractors that came out, you chose this guy, and we should take your word that HomeAdvisor is the good guys? Sounds like you got what you deserve!!! Maybe ask friends, family, or neighbors next time.

• I am a contractor with HA, they make consumers believe they screen contractors and that they are reliable. All they do is sign as many contractors up as they can, the more they have, the more they can charge for leads. It may come as a surprise but HA doesn’t check ANY references. Home Advisor doesn’t care about the consumer or the contractor

• They need to scan the home/business owner and let them know that when they hit enter it will be taking money out of contractor pockets

• I used to work for HomeAdvisor and can confirm references are not checked

• You are so right. This is for Lee Ann. As a customer you should not had went through that much headache just to get work done with your home. Signing up with a business that suppose to give you high qualified, experienced, and trustful business people to do a job for you, you should feel confident that you will not be trashing your money on half work and unreliable workers. This is how I know for a fact that HA is a scam. I’am a new business owner for a cleaning company. I had not registered for a GA state business license, I had not even establish an EIN # nor protected my name. One of the rep. at HA that was working with me for a week, was so quick to convince me to sign up as a contractor with them and she called my phone ridiculously every week. I find it to be a scam for customers and contractors. My business not even LEGALLY establish yet and HA already trying to through leads at me. That is probably why you had so much bad service because some of these business guys probably not even real business men.

• Not sure that’s still true I just signed up as a contractor and my neighbor had us repair several issues with their house. HA called to verify every step of what we did and asked for a reliable contact and review. They do check maybe these things in the passed happened not saying they didn’t but they are definitely checking now.

• Lee Ann
      I have been doing business with Service Magic for years and first of all, they do not want you to think for a minute that once you fill out their on line inquiry, that by the way and by design does not provide you with enough information to convey exactly what it is that you wand done, when you hit submit they instantly bill 6 or 7 contractors for a lead. They have just made their money and whether you are happy or the contractors are happy they could care less. The reason that you may not get a response from a contractor is that when the lead generated and forwarded it may not even be what the contractor was seeking from the service. With gasoline as high as it is today these leads cost the contractor the $75 that the service charged plus the time and cost of visiting to see what it is that you may want. The only one happy with this service is the online business with whom you took the time to fill out the inquiry. Don’t be mad at the contractor he is being scammed too.

• I paid for a popcorn ceiling removal…he asked for his money…its the holidays….only cleanup left. Never showed or called has tons of reviews on Home advisor all 5 star… they were matched to his facebook friends. Left the place trashed and never returned call to haul debris or fix screen. Suppose to be prescreened….well I look up this guy on Florida mugshots…there he was with 2 felony arrests. So much for your prescreening!

• Fine….I will gladly tell you this person’s name….he should be pulled from your network or you need to do a better job on screening…you will need to reply back…at this point I will tell people not to use your services if you are not weeding out the felons!

• im glad you got an immediate response.but i just started with them,paid my $69.99,and its been 2 weeks,and they do not get back to me.is that fair?

• i also called my credit card company,not to let home advisor,charge anymore to my account. its benn two weeks scince i paid,and nothing.its a 2 way street.so i do not see,why customers get involved,unless they got screwed by their contractor.because your satisfied,its not alright,to screw the contractor.

• Let me fill you in. They say they do background checks and make sure the so call contractors have a license. It’s a lie My friend signed up which he is a felony and has no license and they were sending him leads. You can defend them if you want, suppose a known felony came to your house to do work and something happened? Glad they gave you good customer service, but is that more important then your safety? It’s a scam all the way around.

• As a contractor that is licensed and insured with the scope of work ghat you say was done you are lucky it wasn’t three thousand. Do you really know how much it cost a contractor for insurance. Licenses and permits. Sorry you had a bad exsperiance but contractors are always get the blame for customers that have no clue on what even a two by four cost

• Sucker

• Sounds to me as a contractor who just listened to a pathetic sales pitch from Home advisor. It would be much wiser to engage in advertising on you own and not let some hokie company into your business. companies such as these are middle men who take your money for nothing. Giving an entity controll of your credit card is the most idiotic thing I could imagine. Just do a good job be honest. you will have more business than you can handle

• Home Advisor states that they screen all there potential new contractors and confirm that they are licensed and no criminal back ground,,,thats B.S sure they might screen them at the time of signing up but they definetly don’t continue to screen them
    I did a background check on a contractor myself and I found multiple red flags
    My msg to all of you is home advisor does not make sure there contractors remain on the up and up

• I have had several jobs denied for credit recently as well. In the past I was able to speak with a supervisor and re-state my case and actually get reconsideration in some cases that helped balance out the losses but recently that has changed. In the past I have been able to get some false leads to write email testimony to me which I would forward to HomeAdvisor proving they were false leads and had no intention of wanting to be contacted. Now I am being told that they will no longer take or make any email correspondence to determine if a lead is false nor will they attempt to make any phone calls after business hours to speak to anyone who has submitted a request for service to determine if it is in fact a false lead so unless the potential client is rich enough to stay home all day they will never be able to speak to anyone to verify that it is a false lead. When Service Magic teamed up with Better Homes and gardens I got several false leads by people filing out what they thought were surveys for coupons and other items to actually have their information forward to contractors how would then contact them as a true business lead. This has started to happen again with HomeAdvisor. One person thought they were submitting to get a sporting goods coupon and was willing to help submit this information to get my credit but HomeAdvisor refused to call the person when he was home n the evenings and stated they do not verify false leads by email correspondence. They are using the internet to market leads but refuse to use the same system to credit for false leads. I had no idea it was this bad. Sadly……My trust in HomeAdvisor has really been diminished.

• Like most of the comments here – be aware of HomeAdvisor and their high-pressure selling techniques. Their service and fee method has serious issues, and does not work for the professionals.

I got a call recently from a salesperson from HomeAdvisor. He was courteous and chatty. The idea behind HomeAdvisor is good so I listened. However, what bothers me is the fact that we, the "professionals", have to pay a "$57 viewing fee" for "EVERY" leads they send over. I asked several questions about the leads and the logic behind it (shouldn’t the customer looking for service be paying for the "finder’s fee"?). What the young man replied was the reiteration of these standardized answers about how great their company is and how big their legal department is – his replies worry me even more because he obviously does not care about the concerns I had, and only tried to impress me (or intimidate me) with their name.

Colleagues, be aware. How great a company and how big of a legal department have nothing to do if they are crooks and try to scam your money by sending you empty leads or if they want to "represent you" – once your money is out of your pocket/credit card, it is almost impossible to get it back. (remember, Bernie Madoff also ran a big company and I am sure he had strong legal department, too). At the end, some red flag kept coming up and I refused to provide my SSN to this guy. He kept sending me emails trying to convince me otherwise. His several emails were all just some generic links to HomeAdvisor and had nothing to do with the legal questions and billing related questions I asked about. Once I politely turned down his high-pressure selling techniques, I got a very long message accusing me how I did a 180 on him. Lovely.

• Hello every one I am a Contractor and signed up to this site morning of 4/12/13 and they call me at 7:30 am that’s early. Also the suport guy said that he wanted my info of my bank account and SSN that is not right.
    I thought it was going to be ok but then later in the day they sent me a lead on a customer and when I called they did not answer: the first time they did not answer then the second time they answered and some how did not hear me then the third time did not answer. I also emailed them and did not get in contact with them so I was charged with $15.50 so a lead that did not go no where and was probably fake or old, I got charged so I will not work with these guys anymore. Its 2:00 am and I found out that this website (Home Adviser) is ripping people off with lots of money and have bad contractors that are not licensed.
    So the point is that these guys are fake and do not give them your information of any sort.
    To not get charged before the week is over cancel your bank account that you gave them and then you will not get charged with any sort of fees or anything. Please tell your contracting friends that this place is not good.

• Am a homeowner. Was very taken aback to start receiving phone calls from service providers before I had even registered for anything. It was actually a bit scary to think that these strangers had my personal info so quickly!!! This site should be set up to make it very clear that this will happen. And also one should have the choice BEFORE entering in a phone number as to whether or not to allow contractors to call you. I understand how contractors would want to jump on a lead but it’s very disconcerting to someone who wasn’t expecting it and leads to the consumer not actually having control over which contractor they might want to deal with. I thought I would be given a choice of which contractor I wanted to call. This method would also save the contractors the money of having to call someone for a lead that has no chance of panning out.

Within five minutes of using this website I had my first problem with it. Five minutes later the second problem started from a call from a contractor who apparently set up an appointment with me that he had NO intention of keeping. Third strike is that there was no place on the homeadvisor.com website to register these complaints directly; in other words they aren’t willing to accept criticism and possibly change or improve their website.

Three strikes in one day – this site is OUT of my life for good!!!!

• Hi Liz –

I’m sorry to hear about your concerns. If you want to pick the contractor you want to call, you would want to submit in a request through the "Pro Reviews" section on our site. This would allow you to browse reviews and choose who you want to be matched with. You may also always call customer service at 877-699-4736 to connect with a project specialist. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. You may reach me directly at 303-963-8066 or mblack@homeadvisor.com.

HASupport

• I too just tried to get HomeAdvisor to help me resolve a complaint against a carpet/furniture cleaner who I used and they did not do anything to help me. This was Over the Mountain Carpet Cleaners in Birmingham, AL and they left my carpet and sectional sofa and area rug soaking wet. My sofa grew mildew it was so bad. He wanted to come out and redo it but I do not want that man in my house ever again. I sent them the bill and my cancelled check but they would not give me a refund.

• Hi Michelle –

I sent your information over to our customer solutions team to follow up with you today.

Thanks,

HASupport

• Michelle: I am a carpet cleaner with HA, I just responded to another post. HA doesn’t even check references when signing up contractors, all they are in it for is the money. I have to compete with these incompetent cleaners because they low ball every bid and HA doesn’t care what quality of contractor they sign up, as long as they will pay for the lead

• Here is the truth homeadvisor/ former servicemagic will not replace leads generated by there competition. Companies puting in false leads to get contractors info to sell you advertisement. If no one picks up the phone to say they did not put in request you will not get refunded your money. Plus takes time to put in lead replacement. Plus if you get a strange customer you will be stuck with there low rating, wich will effect your sales.

• I was with Service Majic now Home Advisor. There prices have gone up 80%. They have partnered with DIY Amy Matthews and gives advice to consumers on how to beat the contractor down. They also give the consumer an online cost guide. Clearly NOT professional. They are biting the hand that feeds them. After going to pay per click I noticed that "Home Advisor" uses multiple names in the top Google,Bing and Yahoo searches to trick the consumer into thinking small companies are not credible and that they have a rating system. It’s false a blatent lie. They no longer require contractors to have insurance and I helped a client get back all of her money from a contractor that ripped her off. The contractor is still allowed to stay on with Home Advisor. Home Advisor is a company that Cyber squats they hog all the top paid listings. I am a 5 star rated celebrity contractor that is a regular on network Television. Contractors and homeowner beware .

• I just happened to see a review of a network contractor on their site (5 stars) so I hired him. Now I have to get an electrician in to undo some damage done by him (he will not return calls or emails). So from the consumer side I have my doubts about this company, wish I had read this first!

• I have been with Home Advisor since January. About half my leads have been duds where the number is bad or noone responds to my calls or emails. When I call home advisor, as long as they can verify that the phone number and email are not valid they will refund your money. I had one lady who I got as a lead, she said she wanted a house cleaner but when I called her to confirm and set up a date to meet she said all she really wanted was someone to talk to. I am in the house cleaning business not the counceling business. Of course when Home Advisor called her to verify if she was valid she said she was and they would not give me credit but for the most part I am getting good solid leads and I am happy with them.

• Took me a while to figure the system out. 10 as soon as the lead comes in drop what your doing and call. 2) set confirmed appointment to visit the customer 3) you have to regulate your leads by turning them on and off. After I get a few leads, I turn them off for a week, day, month, whatever, and I win the bids about 75% of the time. Did not start that way. had a salesperson call me everyday for weeks then he promised all leads would cost only $15 each. That got me going but lost money on leads till I figured it out too.

• If you have a criminal record all you have to do is put the account in a friend or relatives name. Call your sales rep. back and they will set it up for you, we don’t really care about that screening, it’s just a facade to con homeowners into thinking they contractors have clean records.

• I am a contractor in the Atlanta area. I have no criminal history at all. There are always ways to beat any system but, for the guys who are at here giving customers true value. This is a great tool and some piece mind for customers.

• Hi "employee" –

We take thid very seriously and if an employee decides to change the name on an account to a relative or friends name for the professional to hide a criminal background, it is a fire-able offense from our side and the account would be terminated. If you have any questions, you may contact me directly at 303-963-8066 or mblack@homeadvisor.com.

Mandy Black

• I had four contractors come out to my house to give me a price on painting my celling in bathroom’ den and living room and not one of them came back with a price!!!

• Where are you located?

• Susan, you should read before you put in your information. You said you had to answer a bunch of questions…well those questions were about your project, YOUR PHONE NUMBER, YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS, YOUR PHYSICAL ADDRESS, you didn’t mention that did you??

Learn how to share the WHOLE truth next time!!

• Ex-Emp you are an effing liar…you know that crap is made up!! Excite.com?? Really? That is so far from the truth

• I have been a Service Magic Customer (Now Home Advisor Pro) for a couple of years. Lately, they have been sending me incomplete and bogus client information. When we protest the referrals, they only credit us about 30% of the time. One day they will approve a referral credit and the next day they will deny a referral credit that has been submitted for the exact same reason…..When business gets slow for them, they will load you up with all kinds of worthless referrals and the contractor is stuck with the bill without recourse.

• I joined them last year for a week only. The first lead was good (luckily we sold the job) but the next 2 weren’t. One lady never answered and the next lady said "I just want a idea of cost" she refused a estimate and never called back after we repeatedly tried to reach her. She was just a tire kicker not a real lead. Their response for not reimbursing the lead was "this is potential future work". HOW???? $180 later!

• Hey John, my name is Danny and I am a web consultant for a company in Atlanta. I hear some many different things about Home Advisor litterally EVERYDAY. I even tested it out for myself when search for a landscaper, I was connected right to the call center of Home Advisor, where the lady had told me that the number to the contractor was wrong, then she said that the contractor wasn’t looking to take on anymore new customers, which made absolutely no sense. What business owner in 2013 will turn down new business??? So towards the end of that call I began receiving massive calls from about 4-5 different contractors for a least a week.
      I can’t believe that Home Advisor does not stick to EXACT MATCH as they market.
      What kind of work do you do John??

• Quit crying and blaming HA. You most likely are failing at your own business. Grow up and take responsibility for your failures.

• Kelly if you need some help, email me (nwp223@gmail.com) we also had service magic using our name to channel calls to their call center long after we had cancelled. People, surf the search engines with your companies name and pay attention to how and who is using it, it’s the wild west out there.

• Ken, you’re just merely repeating the marketing statement from HA. I bet you’re from HA and you smoke a lot/

• That’s my first impression about Homeadvisor…they give a single lead to multiple contractors and charge each. Assuming they charge $15/contractor X 10 contractors = $150. That’s for single, assuming, legit lead. The "LIAR’s lead"? RUBBISH!

• Home advisor will let other contractors bid on leads but no more than 3 companies! And only when me, the homeowner asks for more quotes. I love love love home advisor. I think it’s the best way to find local screened professionals. No complaints!

• Redbeacon sucks – this must be a redbeacon employee saying they are good. I used they and they are terrible and I know there are other complaints too. It was a nightmare and ended up costing me more money to fix everything they did wrong. They messed up the plumbing and walls and much more. I’m thinking of taking them to court.

• Stay away from Redbeacon from Home Depot – they will send you contractors that they pass as qualified, even though they have no skill set and do horrible work. I am now thinking of taking legal action against Redbeacon for the misinformation, stress and cost I have to now take on.

• I am A pro with Home Advisor Yes There are some bad leads but I always get credited. I have also come across some real good commercial ones that led to some big jobs. So I would say Its working for me. One most recent has kept me so busy I had to keep turning off my leads. I ended up turning $15 lead into about 8K. and I am still doing work for these guys.

• After referrals are made, the follow-up calls from Home Advisor were relentless and useless. I unsubscribed, then blocked calls from their Colorado and Illinois numbers, but they can call from a variety of numbers. So I finally put a phony number in my profile to stop the calls.

The referral IU had was good but dealing with Home Advisor in the aftermath has been a royal pain.

• I am a contractor/. Handyman currently using home advisor. I have experienced all of these. I had an existing client that went on the web to get my number. The found it through home advisor but when they call someone from home advisor awnsered and represented my company. They told the customer I didn’t do windows and tried to give away his info to my competitors. Fortunately he was persistent and got the correct phone and contacted me. We since have completed the job of installing 8 windows( not a small $ job). I think it’s great that they get your company out there but they shouldn’t be saying what I do or don’t do talking to a live person. This should be forwarded to me as an exact match so I don’t loose the client or transfer them directly to me. I have since lowered my spending and are cue fly looking into other options. Very frustrating for someone starting out to be led to a high expense with minimal return.