Tate Publishing Complaints & Reviews

Corp Phone Number: 405-376-4900
Corp Website: tatepublishing.com

Customer Ratings and Reports for Tate Publishing

Latest Tate Publishing Complaint

Is Tate Publishing a Rip Off, Fraud or Have They Scammed You? WARN OTHER CONSUMERS By Sharing

Category: Publishing Services Directory ListingTate Publishing and Enterprises, LLC Listing

Very Disappointed!

I began my book publishing journey around March of 2014 with Tate Publishing. Within my contract included information for marketing that has not happened. One in particular is a 15 second video creation for my book that was supposed to be placed on TV spots where I was going for an event. I have yet to see that aired or had anyone I spoke with tell me they saw this aired on the local TV stations.

I’ve had speaking events and book signings on the Tate Publishing Calendar in Ohio, Arkansas, and Alabama. I have also had royalty check issues such as them sending me information for my taxes to use in my filing stating I received a certain amount during 2015 in checks from them, and NEVER did.

I got that straightened out, thankfully! They did send me a check for the correct amount, but they stated in the memo section of that check that it was a re-issue. That was NOT true! I never received it in the first place.

Throughout the beginning compilation process, I waited on several occasions to hear back from people that I was working with that never responded back to me only to find out later after calling the switch board operator that they no longer worked for Tate Publishing. Then I was assigned someone else, which held up my publishing process. Whenever I tried contacting the person I was working with directly, which they said I could do and encouraged it, I was sent to their voicemail. There are only four or five times that ANYONE ever answered when I contacted them directly.

They also gave me as a special within my contract a free set up of a Facebook site for my book as well as a free website design. The Facebook site was so simple, and I mean simple, that I created one myself, plus I couldn’t make changes to the one they created for me. The website they created for me was very plain. They said they would send me the user name and password, so I could work with the site on my own adding items I wanted to. Well, after numerous requests for the log in information, I just dropped it and created my own website!

They are supposed to send out a Marketing Report every month. I will say that is not consistent. I keep all my correspondence, and they missed December, 2015, January, and February of 2016 sending me this report. I can count on one hand the book signing events they have obtained for me. I have done 99% of ALL my marketing. They said that my book would be in all the major book stores. It’s available alright, but ONLY if the bookstore requests it. Thankfully, with the book having the ISBN number, all stores can at least order it if someone requests it.

I tell people NOT to publish with Tate Publishing. I am so disappointed with them! I know everything is not going to be peaches and cream, but I’m not even telling half of what has transpired with my journey with Tate Publishing. I’m just VERY sad that they advertise as being a Christian Publishing Company. I don’t EVER regret that I have a book published, but I do regret I published with them, especially since they got $3990.00 of my hard–earned money, and I mean hard-earned. That’s a story in itself! I hope this information from my book journey helps someone NOT publish with Tate Publishing.

Most Recent Tate Publishing Complaints

Consumer Comments For Tate Publishing

• Harry Simpson

I recently filed a complaint on Tate and saw your complaint. You have outlined Tate’s practices effectively. Wish I had seen this before I used them.. I talked to Dr. Tate three times before agreeing to use them. He stated over and over that Tate was not what they actually ate – A Scam. Wish that these type of company owners would be punished. They are no different than a robber with a gun.
    Harry Simpson, Author

Doctor Tate and Mark Mingle
    23/1/2016
    I an very disappointed with this supposedly Christian company! I am familiar with self publishing companies that sell services, not books. Doctor Tate promised they were not one of those companies, but they are. They republished my book I Must Survive; which received all five star reviews from readers and critics. Their Marketing only is a program for authors to buy their own books at various discounts. No effort is actually made by them to sale books to the public. I did order my book from them on a three for one offer so I could do book signings, but their shipping is as bad as their other services. They play on authors who cannot get traditional publishing. I have obtained traditional publishing for my next two books, but wish there was away to punish these book scammers. Authors just want to get their books sold and instead fall prey to companies that take advantage of their lack of marketing knowledge. Do not use this company or you will soon be writing a complaint.
    Author Harry Simpson

• Debra Given

2/10/1016
    To Tate Publishing/Mark Mingle,

I just want Tate Publishing to stop distributing and selling
    my books and DOWNLOADS with no contract. It has been nearly a year since I
    cancelled my contracts for “The Elder Effect” and “Vital Perception.” I receive
    no royalties! I called several times, sent e-mails, and even a certified letter
    requesting the total of books that Tate Publishing had on hand. The contract
    stated that I had the option to purchase them upon cancelation of my contracts.
    Since they never returned my calls I am led to believe that they are printing
    them as needed. There is no excuse to be selling the Kindle version! To be
    honest, there couldn’t have been enough sales to jeopardize the reputation of
    the company. So why are they doing it?
    I don’t know what else to do when they refuse to speak with me. I was polite through the entire process and see no reason they would not want to call me back. I just want to count my losses and move on.

I also have my doubts about the promised commercial aspects
    and honesty regarding royalty payments, but that is history.
    My contract stated that Tate Publishing would return my files. I’m still waiting on them. I also asked, in the form of a formal inquiry, if I could keep the cover art. After all, I did pay dear for the entire process and any services that I did receive. I re-published them with new covers using the last copy of the manuscript that I had. It took me months to go through the manuscripts to make them as perfect as I could since they would not return my files and edited versions. Since Tate Publishing will not call me back, I am asking them to stop selling both of my books, distributing them, or selling the Kindle version.

It is sad that this is the only way I can contact your
    company. I only hope that you read this and take care of the problem.
    Sincerely, Debra Given (D. L. Given) RE: The Elder Effect and Vital Perception

• C. Durant

I had my suspicions with my first book after it was published. Like so many, I believed they were the real deal. And, after all, they did abide by my contract, that was 8 years ago. I recognized then that, even though I was satisfied, I was dealing with a vanity press and not the traditional publisher which I mistakenly took them for. Yes, I can see where an anxious author can be duped by underhanded publishing companies. Unfortunately, I didn’t listen to my instinct and because my first experience was a good one, I decided to give them another go because having to self-publish myself was not possible for various reasons. I was able to negotiate the price with Tate, but to my surprise the quality was not equal to the first book. It has been a disappointing experience this time around and I will not do another book with them.

• Patrick

I just wanted to and my voice to the mix. I to fell for the scam Tate is selling. All the things people have mentioned are happening to me. I did call the OK Attorney General and spoke with Agent Fullbright (405) 521-3921. I encourage anyone with a complaint against Tate to call the agent was very helpful.

If anyone is interested in filing a class action lawsuit against Tate I am willing to the the contact point. Let me know at euwlaw@sbcglobal.net.

• Charlie

I am experiencing the same problems. I think after awhile folks would pull together and draw up a class action suit against this company. It is a federal offense to offer services, receive payment and not provide those services promised. Breach of contract, folks! But here’s what to do. Forget the royalties. Forget any promises. They are experts on how to skirt around answering direct questions and making commitments. We won’t even discuss getting paid. Instead use them for what they do do. First, never pay them the first offer. Negotiate. The editing may not be the best, but it is better than nothing. Get your manuscript in the best shape possible. It helps to brush up on your grammar. Always check after the editor’s work. They’re human too. Mistakes happen. Fight them for a decent book cover. Don’t let them cheat you out of a good one. They will give you a professional book cover if you insist. Never back down. Push for what you want. Don’t sign anything until you are happy. Then when you get your book, take that book door to door, call local bookstores and get your own book signings. The only publicist you have is yourself. Do whatever you have to to get your book out there. Sell it out of the trunk of your car! Get it in circulation. Look for a literary agent. Don’t give up. Be ware! This company will take anyone’s writing as long as they can collect a large sum of money. They will feed you a dream that isn’t real. Before you take this leap, take an honest look at yourself and ask… do I have what it takes to be a writer. This industry is tough. Loads of writers out there that are talented and can’t get a break into this market. Be honest… take a hard look at yourself and ask… do I have talent to write? If you don’t… please don’t waste your money on a dream that will only disappoint. This company feeds on folks who are not equipped or talented enough to become an accomplished author. But if you do have what it takes… then be prepared to work… and work hard. Writing is a lot of sleepless nights making you into a recluse. It can be an obsession taking over your life. If you want to be a writer then use what this company does offer and use it to your advantage. Once you get your book out there look for other publishers. It’s best to find a literary agent that will promote your book. Get it known, keep improving your work and write write write… you will succeed.

• Wenona Clarice Thompson

@Deborah Tadema
    You are not the only one they have scammed. Contact the OK Attorney General to register your claim and potentially be reimbursed (405) 521-3921. Ask to speak to Agent Fullbright

• Robert Waid

Guys, file a complaint with the Oklahoma Attorney General http://www.ok.gov/oag/ and file a small claims case at http://www.canadiancounty.org/index.aspx?NID=1066 for 50-100$ – Well worth it to get back you 4000-6000$

• Trudy

Tate is a notorious vanity operation and is on Writer Beware’s “Thumbs Down list. Real publishers PAY their writers. Tate just takes all their money while waving the flag and posing as Christian. Just Google search their name + “ripoff” for an education in slime. They outsourced editing to the Philippines because the English-is-a-second-language “editors” there work cheap. I’m sorry you were ripped off. The rule for writers is “Money always flows TOWARD the writer. The only place a writer signs a check is on the back.” Any place that wants your money for any reason is a scam, even when they claim to be Christian. They USE that to rip people off.

If you want to see the real Ryan Tate — the fake PhD’s son– Google “Ryan Tate rant fires 25 employees.” He claimed it was a lie they were outsourcing to the Philippines, claimed someone had “leaked the memo” — he likely did that himself — worked into a rage, and fired everyone. See for yourself how professional that nut cake is.

Avoid scammers. Go to “Preditors and Editors” to find who’s a real commercial publisher and who’s a thief.

• Angie Cox

I am also in a very similar situation with these people. They claim to send out press releases, none sent, all and I mean all marketing has solely been done by myself. They claim that your book will also be in book stores, not true. The amount of lies they tell you is disgusting. On my second book I was going to get help from their Ghost writers who are wonderful I signed a contract and paid $6000 on Dec 26 2013. No one even got back to me to even start the project until the middle of April 2014 at which point I had pretty much finished the book myself. In the GhostWriting Contract it states if no work has been done I am entitled to a full refund. I have been trying to get this refund since April but instead I got a nasty email from Mr.Tate who calls himself Dr.Tate (he does not have a PH D). I have Lawyer involved now. Oh their lawyer that they are using has a hotmail account as his Attorney At Law email, found this funny. I too would love to be involved in a class action suit against them. Companies like this need to be shut down to stop them from stealing and lying to innocent people. My book is about child abuse and one of their employees lied about being abused just so he would get my trust to buy more books and then Mr. Tate said the same kind of thing, not sure if that is true but he sure did not treat my book and cause for child abuse with any empathy, especially that he knew that I am giving 20% of my profits to children of abuse charities. How dare they call themselves a Christian Company. They should never mix our Lord and Saviour with their name. We all need to stop them.

• GregAtkinson

Please contact me at greg(at)gregatkinson(dot)com. I feel your pain.

• Wenona Clarice Thompson

I do agree with Greg…
        Angie, You are not the only one they have scammed. Contact the OK Attorney General to register your claim and potentially be reimbursed 405 521 3921. Ask to speak to Agent Fullbright

• Kevin M. Kelley

Hi. My name is Kevin Kelley. I just wanted to send you a quick message about Tate Publishing. I submitted a manuscript to them about a year ago after finding them in the Christian Marketing Guide by Jerry Jenkins. I know a lot of people make a big deal about the $4k up front, but considering the stuff they are supposed to contribute as per the contract (illustrations, marketing, publicity, etc.) it seemed like a fair deal. FF to today. My book was released on 4/22/14. After 2 months of pre-order availability on Amazon.com, B&N, and other national distributors I found out that B&N is pulling my book off their inventory list because of “distribution issues with the publisher.” Amazon estimates shipping at 4 months… So here I am – the author with only a handful of flimsy paperbacks that won’t hold up to more than 3-4 readings, none of my hardbacks have arrived (ordered nearly 5 months ago), and B&N has pulled my books due to distribution issues. I’m either experiencing the worst isolated case of incompetence ever or there is grounds for a national class action lawsuit. Sad that Tate has taken the name of Christ and slathered it all over their company in order to prostitute themselves for personal profit and not the advancement of the Kingdom of God. Is it any wonder with conduct like this from so-called “Christians” that people everywhere see Christians as hypocrites and atheism as the most viable worldview?

• Mpeterson

Why would Tate offer a contract to someone who is not any good in the first place. If you cant find someone to back you all the way its always a scam. Get a real publishing deal. Tate just afford me a recording publishing contract the first thing the so called A and R person seed in the email he sent me (chuckle) was he was sorry he didn’t have time to call me in person (red flag) so he sent me a copy of there (services) whoops my bad I mean contract for my (lawyer) dad nab-it i mean for me to look over and sign. There are literally thousands of companies set up to take money from people who thank they are the (greatest) really that’s the oldest con in the book. Flattery will get you everywhere. I have yet to find one company out there that will get behind a talent and believe in it with there pocket books. How much money would it cost to place one book or Cd in all the major outlets in our nation alone(?) another red flag do you really think that for a measly 5 grand that someone is going to do a real national promotion including TV, Radio, Live appearances and distribution? There is so much talent out there yet only a hand full even get a real shot at fame every year. My spelling and gamer suck and I don’t have to (apoligise) to anyone about it

• Robert Johnson

I would rate Tate with a "U" — unsatisfactory, and would like to speak with others who are also unhappy with them. If I am to believe what Tate avers, I must believe that thousands of TV ads generated sales of only about 5 copies of my book. Also, I find it incredible that my book is not to be found in one Christian bookstore in the entire country. It’s available online at Amazon and a couple of other places, but there is not one hard copy in any bookstore anywhere.

• Matt

I signed with tate publishing and received very little support. When I filed complaint with the BBB, it didn’t work either. I simply asked for my refund and they said that they wouldn’t be "able to do that". My book was never edited past the first chapter, the marketing made very little phone calls, (4 calls in one month), I was told they have "1000s" of authors and they cannot always "tend to all of them". I was very disappointed with Tate publishing. As a former missionary who believes in being a blessing to others, I find it hard that Tate publishing’s morals match those of one who seriously considers the Bible and it’s teachings. When I received the "counter" from my complaint through BBB from Tate, over half of the staff that was supposed to be working on my book didn’t even answer my questions and complaints. I forgive and forget, but this one time, I wanted to just let those know what happened to me during my experience with Tate. I pray for those who have gone through the same process as I did, but I congratulate those who were successful.

• Robert Johnson

You’re too kind. These people profess to be Christians …so does Obama, btw. However, their behavior is anything but Christian. There is a New Testament injunction against Christians suing each other. Tate takes advantage of that to the max. They ought to be sued for lying, malfeasance, unethical behavior in general, and failure to provide proof that they have done anything for which they were paid our hard earned money. I have just written them off instead. Live and learn. They don’t have to answer to me, but I would not like to be one of them on judgment day. ” Vengeance is mine, ” says the Lord, “I will repay.” ……………and He will someday. Tate will get from the Lord what they richly deserve. Naturally, I can’t post this response all of a sudden …and internal service error. LOL

• I know Rosalyn

I’m wondering why Rosalyn is so upset with Tate Publishing. It could be that her book was awful. What Christian book uses cuss words in it. It is an immature writing style that has no imagination, anyhow. Mr. Mingle, I would not feel bad about Rosalyn’s book or her comments, as her character is as bad as her writing. She has a history of complaining on the internet for things she did not think through beforehand, whether purchasing products, services or now it seems a book contract. Ignore her she is unworthy of your concern.

• Robert Johnson

This is exactly what is WRONG with Tate Publishing. They publish anything …well-written or horrible!
      Had I realized this, I never would have gone with them. No wonder hardly any author’s book gets sold or read. Once it has a Tate label on it, it is automatically relegated to the garbage file by any honest distributor. Who is the world wants to promote junk …and junk is what Tate publishes as long as you can pay for their bogus fees.

• Cindy

I can not believe someone from the company (Mark Mingles) reads these and then responses back….weird & embarrassing.

• I know Rosalyn

Cindy: It’s called professionalism. You are probably just Rosalyn Zografos in disguise. I know your tricks. Stop trying to make others look bad when you are the one with unprofessional behavior.

• Max

Dear Satisfied Tate Customer,

Just wanted to point out to you that your use of the words "over night" are incorrect. The correct spelling is overnight – one word. Hope your book is proofread better than your Email!

Hello Satisfied Tate Customer, aka Tate Publishing is Aces —

Dare I believe you are that huge a chump to pay them for a second book before you discover that your first book will never go anywhere?

I thought I was a sucker. Whew, boy!

• Richard

That was unnecessary, evenn da best of writers gufe up from time to time. That is what spell check and a good editor is fur. Now you have something betur to pick on…. LOL

• Debra Barnard Franz

To Mark Mingle,

I have found over the years that people are quick to point fingers and not take responsibility for their part in failed endeavors.
    I wish I had the numbers that truly reflect the percentage of people that vent their not so legit. frustrations, disappointments and unfounded accusations VS.
    individuals that will take the time to sing praises greatly due the dedicated educators, medical professionals and array of service providers in our commerce.
    For when an experience is a good one, a great one, we are content and go forward with acceptance of met expectations. But when expectations (realistic or unrealistic) are not met, people are quick to take up arms and sling mud. (look at our last presidential campaign)
    Your rebuttal to the above is greatly warranted and appreciated.

Debra Barnard-Franz
    Dallas, TX

• Andre

Rosalyn, I too would like to join you and make a class action suit with Tate Publishing. Please provide your contact info so we can team together.

• Mark Mingle

Rosalyn,

I am not sure why you are choosing to make posts of this nature. We have provided every detail of the publishing contract you signed, and in my last phone conversation with you I explained we could still pursue more options for you. We have already run a national TV ad campaign for you reaching over 150,000 viewers, have made multiple contacts to the media on your behalf and provided the list of contacts to you, and have contacted bookstores and scheduled book signings for you, several of which, including at national chain stores like Barnes & Noble and Hastings, that you cancelled and did not attend once we had confirmed they would host you. It takes years, not months, to achieve success in the publishing business, and we see it every day with authors that stay the course and follow our plan. I am sorry you did not achieve the success you desired right away, but as we discussed over the phone, we can always pursue more.

Sincerely,

Mark Mingle
    Director of Marketing
    Tate Publishing

• alllymae

can not believe Tate replies to complaints online….so funny

• Cristy

I think its AWESOME!

• I bought the book

I think its awesome too that Tate Publishing has enough guts to speak against fraud. Just because a book doesn’t sell doesn’t mean the publisher is always at fault. The book was immature, boring and riduculously infantile in writing. She promotes “Season of Betrayal” as a Christian book but it has swear words in it? And she promotes medicine without a license? Who is this person?

• Harry Simpson

Very misinformed. Tate does not market books to sell, their marketing is developing gimmicks for an author to buy their own books.