Zoll Reviews

Zoll Reports

Most Recent Zoll Complaints

Is Zoll a Scam, Rip Off, or Fraud? WARN OTHER CONSUMERS By Sharing

Category: Medical Services Directory ListingZOLL medical Corporation Listing

Alert warning vibration burned me

I was fitted with a LifeVest due to my heart issue with the goal of improving heart functions. The LifeVest warning vibration and alarm went off almost 100 times in 2 weeks. Thinking it was my heart, I informed my cardiologist. By the end of the second week I started feeling terrible pain in my back directly behind the vibration sensor. I went to the ER and I had a massive infection where the vibration unit burned me.

After many attempts to reach a Zoll rep, my cardiologist ended up calling Zoll himself. Zoll finally showed up to the hospital and said it must have been the improper drying of the LifeVest garment or an infected hair. I asked the Zoll rep why did the alarm and vibration go off those hundred plus times and she said the sensors weren’t calibrated properly.

The doctors and nurses were furious. 2 surgeries for infection, 3 weeks in the hospital for IV antibiotics and 6 months of regular wound therapy and all Zoll wants is the vest back.

No compassion. No offer of compensation for the cost, pain and suffering. Nothing. Shameful.

I am looking for individuals who have had malfunctions with the LifeVest. The truth of this defective product must come out. Zoll needs to be reprimanded and compensation paid to all of us who have suffered.

Most Recent Reviews About Zoll

Submit a Complaint or Comment For Zoll

• Sherman

Like others, my experience with ZOLL has been very poor. My heart attack was March 1, 2015 while I was travelling. The ZOLL representative at the hospital was so sympathetic and promised “I can get you into the lifevest for $1500” making it sound like this was the total cost. This turned to be 1/2 of the first month. After 2 months I started getting phone calls to collect $3450 per month. My doctor at home released me from needing the vest after 2.5 months and I returned it to ZOLL. Being uninsured at the time, I could not afford the $7000+ fees. After several months ZOLL sent a payment proposal offering a deep discount. I paid the discounted fee in February 2016. I received a bill in May ignoring the reduced amount they agreed to and asking for the rest of the amount. I responded to this with a letter detailing their offer and providing my check number, discounted amount calculation and check date. I thought this matter was settled. Now in January 2017 I have received another bill.
    ZOLL is a total scam. Misleading the patient at the initial hospital consultation, charging exorbitant fees for their device, offering a discount and then not honoring their own offer. Apparently their accounting department cannot perform a simple discounted fee calculation or refuses to honor ZOLLs own settlement offer. Or maybe they are hoping the patient is too stupid to remember paying the bill and will pay it again. Either way ZOLL is a very poorly run outfit. No wonder insurance companies fight medical claims.

• Michael McMillan

My experience with Zoll and the Zoll Lifevest has been very
    poor.

Pros: It might? save your life

List of Cons:

Con: When the company representative firsts fits you with
    the device there is no mention that it is over $36,000 a year cost that the
    patient may be responsible for.

Con: Poor customer service. When requesting information on
    airline travel with the lifevest I had to make multiple calls. I would be told
    they were emailing information and then never received promised info forcing me
    to call back.

Con: Poor customer service. When I spoke to the billing
    department that is supposed to answer billing and insurance information the
    Zoll representative refused to provide me with any billing information, costs
    etc. I was told that if I wanted any information to contact my insurance
    company. What kind of company refuses to tell a customer How Much?

Con: Very expensive. Insurance coverage on device is limited
    and cost to the insurance company is over $3000 a month . My out of pocket
    after 3 months is over $1800 and next month the out of pocket would be the full
    $3000+. Claims made by Zoll on insurance coverage for the device may not be
    true. I recommend patients check with their insurance carrier for specific
    coverage.

Con: Zoll appears to be making false claims to doctors. Zoll
    representatives are telling doctors that Zoll is working with patients and
    offering payment plans to those in financial need. That is not true. Due to
    money issues and new insurance I can not afford the Zoll vest in 2017. I have
    no past due amount and no late payments. When I called and had to discuss
    returning the vest because of financial concerns all the Zoll representative
    does is instruct you on returning the equipment. There is no offer of
    assistance or payment plan..

Con: Causes significant skin irritation and sores if used
    for more than a month or two. I began to develop open sores where the sensors
    are in contact with the skin. Similar to bedsores and inevitable when you have
    something pressing against the skin 24 hours a day.

Con: False alarms – I have to unplug the unit wait 15
    seconds and plug it back in. It then works OK for a while. Constant fear that
    it may go off inadvertently. The alarm is loud, but not loud enough in all
    circumstances. I sometimes work in a loud environment and have had the alarm go
    off and not hear it. There is a real danger the unit can discharge when there is
    no heart issue. If it goes off at the incorrect time it can stop a beating
    heart. In a 2014 FDA letter to Zoll the FDA noted ” approximately half of all treatments delivered to patients are inappropriate shocks”

For those with very low EF numbers it may be worth the cost
    and pain. It also may be the only way a hospital will release you after being
    diagnosed with a heart medical issue. However at over $3000 a month, a billing
    department that will not discuss billing, questionable statements on insurance
    coverage for the device, Zoll making false claims to doctors about assisting
    patients in financial need, and very poor customer service I cannot recommend
    this device or company. Company appears to only be concerned about $$$$ and not
    patients.

I had to return mine because I cannot afford $$$$$ month
    after month. I would have been at $5000 out of pocket on the Zoll Lifevest after only 4 months if I
    had not returned the equipment.

• Don Peckham

They sent a representative to the hospital I was staying in. I’m retired military, and was told my Tricare would pay for it…I never used it, and got a $1,600.00 bill. My insurance paid about 7 grand to rent this thing for me. When I spoke to Zoll, they were rude, and not helpful. It’s a total scam. It’s more than a hundred dollars a day for their junk, and you give it back to them. Don’t believe them when they tell you your insurance will cover it. It’s junk and they aren’t professional at all. They should be happy with the $7K they got!

• Kylie Obermeier

Hi! I’m a journalism student at Boston University writing a story about the Zoll LifeVest for my data journalism class. If anyone who has had a bad (or positive) experience with the LifeVest would be willing to share more about their experience with me via email or phone, I would really appreciate it. Reply to this post if you’re interested!

• nothing

They are committing fraud with Medicare patients. They cannot bill a patient for the uncovered rental fee without the patients written prior approval using a CMS ABN (Advanced Beneficiary Notice) form. This form must be signed by the patient and a copy of the form given to the patient in order for them to bill the patient. They are illegally billing patients and have probably collected more illegal patient payments from Medicare and Medicare Private Payor patients then legit payments. If they were audited by Medicare, they’d probably go bankrupt.

• Geo Graphy

Wow! Did I ever make a mistake accepting this vest. Like others here, I was told by my cardiologist that I had to have it. I did some research on the internet about what the vest was and what it did. I did not think to check out how unscrupulous the doctor and the Zoll company were. Maybe medicare will pay for most of this, but it is sounding grim.

The real problem for me is that I have had the vest less than 48 hours and have had to clean the sensor pad twice because of corrosion. I do take a shower every day and I do not use any lotions that might cause a problem. Like most people, I sweat a little and that seems to cause the corrosion. Are the sensor pads stainless? I don’t know. My wife just told me that she has found an article where the wearer was shocked because the sensors were so corroded that the belt apparently thought there was a heart issue. So now, should I put the vest back on? ( I took it off to clean the pads and see if I could get some relief from the itching.)

If there ever was an example of the medical industry preying on the innocent, this is it. Maybe at 73 I am not as innocent as I used to be, but if I cannot trust my doctor, who can I trust?

• D. Miller

My husband and I were told by the Cardiologist immediately after his emergency catheterization for a STEMI that he would be going home with a life vest when his condition was stable. He ended up spending five days in the cardiac ICU and one day on the floor of the cardiac unit. One of the conditions for discharge was a “fitting” for the vest which turned out to be a pitch from the Zoll sales rep with a PROMISE for discharge that very afternoon if we would agree to the life vest i.e., sign their contract. She seemed very sincere. Our fears and emotions were running high and being more than ready to leave the hospital we agreed to the terms (against our better judgement). After tears and a heartfelt hug from the rep we handed over the credit card and were charged $3,100 for the first month in advance. We did not see the rep after that. That was on a Tuesday afternoon. We waited for discharge. No discharge or fitting Tuesday or Wednesday. We had been lied to. Finally late Thursday afternoon my husband was “fitted” and instructed on how to use the product and he was finally able to go home that evening. We were told the second vest would be over-nighted to us and we would have it in time to change out by the recommended two day time period. No vest after four days and several calls to customer service. Finally received the second vest after five days and two calls to Zoll. Long story short, there is no question we were taken advantage of because of the vulnerable position we were in. My husband only wore the vest for about two weeks before returning to Zoll. Very difficult to comply with the life vest from a physical and emotional standpoint not to mention little faith in the promises made by this company about their product.

• Bruce Stevens

On Thanksgiving day 2014 I suffered a massive heat attack/cardiac arrest.
    7 days later, the local hospital sent me home with a ZOLL livevest..
    The 4 months I was instructed to wear this device was pure hell,
    I actually expierenced severe PTSD from this supposed live saving device.
    The FALSE alert alarm would go off at least 10 times a day, sometimes in my sleep,
    I then would have 30 seconds to hit the reset button or receive a 250 jule shock from the ZOLL livevest, which I itself could be fatal if administered to my now damaged heart.
    I called ZOLL complained , received another unit and the false alarms continued.
    It took me almost a YEAR to get over the severe mental trauma this device caused me AND my wife.
    I pity anyone who has to go thru what we did.

• Diana Younts

My husband came home from the hospital with the Zoll heart vest. It has been a most stressful situation. If he gets shocked without a heart issue the device could hurt his heart. The device has gone off about well over 100 times since we have been home. He has called customer service and his heart readings are all normal yet the device is constantly threatening to shock him. This is not a comforting way to live. I wish there were another product to use that would be reassuring and comforting but Zoll is anything but that.

• Nancy

I just got my husbands bill from Zoll. I almost had a heart attack myself. I was billed for 1622.92. We were told that there would be a small co-pay. I have no idea how much money these people, the doctor, makes but 16 hundred dollars is a lot of money to my husband and me. I called Zoll and asked if this was a mistake and they needed to bill our insurance company. No mistake that is the correct amount. I called our insurance carrier and complained and asked how Zoll could charge us for three months when we only had the vest for two months. I also asked how they could charge such an outrageous price. Needless to say I was on the phone all day and was very enlightened with the results. It seems that the insurance company agrees to a set price for the use of the life vest. One day or three months the price is the same. I guess what I most upset about is the fact that I feel that my husbands doctor lied to us telling us that the insurance takes care of most of the cost. I wonder if he gets a percentage back from Zoll for his recommendations. I feel that is wrong for insurance companies to get paid for services that are not used. I am so angry about the cost and what I feel is a sham by Zoll that I can’t even get into how I feel about the usefulness of the lifevest or did I mean uselessness.

• Don Peckham

Same as me! It’s a rip-off, and I’m not gonna’ pay crap!

• Ed Broyles

My daughter has had her Life Vest for 24 hours and they gave her a back up battery that does not work!! So far 6 calls and no replacement battery yet and the batter in the Vest has been on the last bar for almost 6 hours!!! I would not recommend these people!!! What good is it without the BATTERY

• Gwen Green

I was prescribed the Zoll Life Vest on 8/18/16, due to having an EF of 30-35%. I’m a 44 year old female. I have a follow up appointment on 9/2/16, when I will be requesting a box to return this hideous contraption. I’m a full busted woman and it’s terrible. It causes me to sweat more, which leads to more irritation. My cardiologist changed my mesds in hopes of improving my EF. On this next appointment it’s either wait and see if meds improve my EF or implant my permanent device. This vest is going straight to USPS.

• Allen

Yes its true my husband back had big rushes and itchy..

• Don Peckham

Wait till you receive the bill! You’re gonna need another vest…

• Gary Jackson

My experience with Zoll was disappointing to say the least. The Zoll Lifevest was prescribed during my hospital stay after a heart attack at the end of October 2015, where a second stent was implanted. We would never have taken it if not covered by insurance. The device never worked properly and would go off at any moment, many times a day, even when doing something as simple as tying my shoes. I am athletic and in good shape, but have hereditary plumbing problems and was back to working out, albeit a bit lighter at the beginning, within a week of the heart attack. The data transfer never worked, even after repeated phone calls to the company, and sitting by my modem for hours to get the best signal in the house. Their suggestion was to go to a public library or local fire station for a better data transfer connection. Talk about ineffectual. The end result was that no data was ever transferred to the company, or my cardiologist. In mid-December, after less than two months I took it off and returned the device to the company. I had concluded that, for me, it was a piece of junk and not meaningfully supported by Zoll. Fast forward to June 2016 when we received a bill for $880 dollars from Zoll. We are fighting this money-grubbing from a company that is not upfront about its product or service, a service it never delivered upon.

• Zibgnew Opinionski

I haven’t received the bill yet, but it looks like I’m on the hook for $4900. I was told that the insurance covered it when I was recovering from my ICD infection explant. The insurance refused the whole first month charge supposedly because of “out of network” . Then they paid $2000 towards the second month’s charge saying that is what they pay “in network”. So when I questioned why they paid the $2000 “out of network for the second month, they said there was no referral for the first month. I was lying in a hospital bed with an IV in me when this was happening. Trouble is this. Why are they punishing me for the “in network” doctor not getting a referral? Aren’t emergencies like this (life threatening) not put in the “out of network” category. Upon inquiry, I’ve discovered that Zoll is the only supplier for this device. How can they say that they only allow $2000 towards the $3450 a month rental, because that is what they pay “in network” when Zoll, the only supplier for this type of device, is not in their network?

• Don Peckham

It’s a rip-off…I mailed mine back to them, and I’m not payin’ a dime…My insurance paid these liars over $7,000.00…

• Linda Mullican

I just received a bill from Zoll for $2500 for their life vest. The vest was prescribed by my doctor in December 2014 before I was able to leave the hospital due to congestive heart failure which was caused by a virus. I wore the vest for two months because I was scared by the Zoll representative that I could die from sudden cardiac arrest. I did not receive a bill from Zoll for 4 months and by that time I had been billed for $2090. I was told that Medicare would pay for this vest but when talking to Zoll’s representative today was told that I had signed a contract that said I would pay for 20% of the costs which came to about $500 a month. Now when you are sick and want to get released from the hospital, which I had to stay in for an extra day because the Zoll representative could not make it on the day I was to be released, you will sign anything just to get out and get home. I feel that this company takes advantage of you when you are sick and they charge too much for their medical device which you send back to them when you are released by your doctor or after you receive their over inflated copay.

• Deb Weller

Thank you for this comment. What you have said describes our situation with my husband. My husband is currently being “held hostage” in a hospital because the cardiologists won’t sign off on his discharge unless he agrees to either the LifeVest or a defibrillator implant surgery. We are so disgusted with this hospital, I wouldn’t trust their surgeons to be able to handle a letter opener properly, much less surgery. The electrophysiologist is using the same scare tactics others have mentioned and I’m sure they are not expecting us to do our homework, including essentially saying that they won’t discharge him and if he leaves AMA (Against Medical Advice) that Medicare won’t pay for the 4 days he’s been in the hospital. She is already angry because we refuse to have surgery performed in that filthy rattrap of a hospital and she had scheduled the surgery and cancelled her clinic without clearing it with us first. We were also told that Medicare would pay for the LifeVest. I’m very frustrated and angry at being lied to, but at least we’ve had a little advance warning thanks to your comments and others! THANK YOU!!

• Sherri

The vest they show is nothing like vest received at DR office and metal hooks in front AND do not help when you are large breasted. I can relate to your issue A family member had this trouble too. We had NO IDEA of cost or we would have just done surgery 3 months earlier. No info no idea of problems and frankly the care givers just sat up watching patient sleep just so that dang alarm could be turned off before a shock due to sweat slipping leads. Cannot find a busty woman picture anywhere ..they show old man and a lady wearing it off shoulders…like it was that easy. We named ours PITA for PAIN IN THE A*S drags you down. BEFORE ANYONE CHOOSES THIS JUST ASK PAST PATIENTS. GET INFORMED FIRST.

• Linda Mullican

The Zoll Corporation takes advantage of you and your medical insurance and sells the doctors on how they need to protect you so they (the doctors) are not sued for malpractice. They never tell you how much you are going to have to pay out of your pocket and if this device is really going to impact the quality of your life.

• Kristi Milanowski

So far, the ZOLL experience has been an absolute train wreck!! Their customer service is a complete nightmare and the rep that came to my husband’s hospital room was a total flake!! We haven’t even gotten to the billing part yet of this joke. His doctor is not happy and is filing a complaint. All ZOLL is interested in is “getting in and getting out and selling their product. Then, it’s see ya, bye.” Unfortunately, theirs is the ‘only game in town’ when it comes to these devices.

• Yvonne Mariano

My mother was given the vest after a catheterization also. They told her she had to have it. After not even two weeks she is in ICU. She went into cardiac arrest. The vest did not respond at all. She also went thru the hell I am reading about with the best before having cardiac arrest. I am looking into legal remedies