Sportsman Steel Gun Safes Complaints, Reviews, Scam and Fraud Reports

View Comments File A New Complaint

Sportsman Steel Gun Safes Ratings

Customer Loss Data

Consumer Ratings Data

There Are Currently No Ratings.
Based On: 1 Review / Complaint

Most Recent Complaint About Sportsman Steel Gun Safes

Sportsman Steel Safe company - Bait and Switch - Fraud

Kevin HandIn January, 2012 I called Sportsman Steel to purchase a Special Forces Commemorative safe with a plain finish. I spoke with Kevin Hand who told me that there weren’t any available with a plain finish, but for only seventy dollars more I could purchase one with a beautiful gloss finish. Reluctantly, I agreed. Upon receiving the safe I discovered several discrepancies that I brought to Mr. Hand’s attention which have been ignored. The problems are as follows:

Fraud – a lower fire rating than the safe was advertised at, defective paint on the top, door scrapes on the frame, the bottom of the door has been completely ground off after it was painted and missing bolt grommets.

After filing two complaints with the Better Business Bureau they found that Sportsman Steel Safe Company MADE NO GOOD FAITH EFFORT to resolve either of the complaints. Furthermore, Mr. Hand recorded threats toward me and my company on my home telephone answering machine.

Meticulous documentation has been recorded along with photographs to support every claim.

An Internet search for “sportsman steel reviews” yields unending complaints about the integrity of the company and their products.

Sportsman Steel Safe CoSportsman Steel Safe Co

Sportsman Steel Gun Safes Reviews and Complaints

Click To Search For Sportsman Steel Gun Safes Complaints

User Thoughts About Sportsman Steel Gun Safes

6 thoughts on “Sportsman Steel Gun Safes

1. They are the worst to deal with. They delivered my door in the wrong color and hinged incorrectly. Stay away, go to Liberty or some other company. I have purchased from both and never will I recommend Sportsman. Tried to reconcile, but they wanted me to pay for their mistake.

2. This company needs to be avoided at all costs. They believe they are innovators within the safe/vault business, however they are far from it. I was promised a safe with an automotive quality finish, and ended up with one that looks like it was spray painted with a can of Rustoleum by a stoned painter. No disrespect to the Rustoleum company, because they are much better than what I received. The overall workmanship is crap. Welding splatter everywhere. Grinding marks are also present almost everywhere. Paint is orange-peeled, and according to the factory, this is the normal appearance of an automotive quality finish. Hmm, how many of you are driving around with an orange peel for a finish on your car? The interior carpet was promised to be a contrasting color to the finish paint as well. However, I ended up with an ugly pink carpet to complement a burgundy exterior orange peel finish. A total lack of pride in the manufacturing of this product. It has been my experience as an Airborne Ranger, that anyone who thinks they have to talk a specific way to sound like they have the goods, usually don’t. Hurd is a Posser, who actually thinks he is equal to the elite of this country. Stay away from this company. There are other 100% American companies out there, who actually high American workers. Visit the plant in Long Beach and decide for yourself. If you don’t speak Mexican, you won’t communicate with anyone in production. I have purchased my last safe from here. I will now be spending my money with Liberty.

3. I have bought two safes from them, both top of the line models. The first one arrived looking like it had fallen off a forklift in transit. The combo lock was damaged, the door hinge weld was broken, and there was obvious damage all over the outside. The shipping company took it back, and many weeks later I got it delivered again in good shape. I ordered a second safe a year later, and this one appeared fine on the outside but has significant cracks all along the "step" on the inside of the door. The door also scrapes against the frame when opening and closing. I called a guy in customer service and got the runaround for a while, after which I did a chargeback on the credit card. That got their attention, and it turns out the guy I was dealing with got fired for bad service. The new guy was more helpful but his solution was to mail me a thimbleful of Bondo and matching paint that wouldn't fix more than an inch of damage. he told me he would look for a local body shop to fix the damage but nothing ever happened, so the chargeback became permanent. A few weeks later the owner called wanting to either get the safe back or send it to collections, so I explained the story again. His solution was to send me some sandpaper. That was kind of an insulting solution to deep cracks all around the door interior. We agreed that I would send more detailed photos, and he wants to either ship the door back for repair or settle for a $500 discount. I haven't decided what to do yet. I would probably buy from them again since the safes are nice, BUT I would not sign for the shipment until unpacking 100% of the material and opening up the door to thoroughly examine it. The safes are great quality as long as they survive the shipping process.

4. I went to the Houston showroom in search of a gun safe. The Web site advertises they have hundreds of safes in stock starting in the $700 range. Don't be fooled. The Houston showroom has only about 25 safes in stock and they're all high end. Each safe is marked up $200 for a glossy finish. Another couple hundred bucks for a gold, 5-prong handle. Yet another mark-up for a digital keypad. The salesman advised I could purchase a lower-end safe from the factory in California, but I would pay $350 tp $400 for shipping. He acknowledged the "bait & switch", but advised I buy a safe in inventory to avoid the shipping costs. If you're looking for a safe without all the cosmetic frills, you don't need to bother. Unless, you'd like to pay for shipping, of course.

5. I had a very similar experience with this company, and the guy behind the curtain – Mr. Kevin Hand. In my case the product I paid ahead of time arrived weeks late, and bore the wrong colors, the wrong locking mechanism, and had scratches all over it. For a safe that was touted as brand new – it had a quality control sticker from 2004 (in 2011), and appeared to be a recycled product. Either way I refused delivery and ended up being berated by Mr. Hand on the phone while he threatened a re-stocking fee, and questioned my honesty masculinity. How freaking ironic :) I ended up reverse-charging my credit card in order to get my money back – thank God for that option. Otherwise I'd have been screwed.

The guy sells medium to low quality metal boxes that he brands as either Sportsman Steel or Pentagon "safes". Everything about his product is gimmicky and misleading, other than the fact that most thieves out there wont be able to break into one of them. That said, most customers would do very well to avoid this operation and go with a company that puts lots of steel into their safes for a reasonable price, and has a faithful online following. Search around, and I'm sure you'll find an outfit worth doing business with. Sportsman Steel and Pentagon (the same company) should be avoided.

• I'm in pretty much the same situation. They charged my credit card Dec.2 for the full amount and I still don't have a safe. I have been told it was shipping the end of Nov. They tell me the paint is wet,it being put on the truck, they have my wrong phone number, they have wrong credit card info, etc. I told Mr. Hand I was cancelling the order and now he wants to get involved including a $500 restocking fee. Its been 13 1/2 weeks. The order said 8 wks. Bill