ViaSat Reviews and Complaints by Consumers and Customers SnapShot

Corp Phone Number: 866-945-3258
Company Contact: Mark D Dankberg - CEO

ViaSat Customer Ratings and Reports

Latest ViaSat Complaint

Is ViaSat a Rip Off, Fraud or Have They Scammed You? WARN OTHER CONSUMERS By Sharing

Category: Internet Service Providers Directory ListingViaSat, Inc. Exede, WildBlue Listing

We bought a house in December of 2014. We called our current cable provider (Direct TV) to cancel our service from the campground which we had sevice, to our new home in Alvada OH. They said they would and came out to our home and hooked up the cable. We then asked if they offered internet service. They said they are paired with Viasat Exede and gave me the number to call. So I called them and was offered 20 MG for 49.99 for one year. I took it and they said they needed a bank card to process the account and that it would be taken out each month unless I disconnect. No problem. Gave them my bank card info. They set up the day of installation and we hung up.

My husband stayed home on the day of installation to wait for the person. I got a call on my sell phone an hour before the time frame was up from the installer saying that he was at the campground and nobody would let him in. I told him that we live in Alvada Ohio. He was a little upset as to why Exede gave him the wrong address. He left the campground and came to our house and installed the internet service.

Close to January our service was running slow.  So I called and was told that we used up all our gigs. Ok no problem. I have kids so I just told them to watch what the did on the internet and limited them. Come Febuary our service was really slow in the middle of the month. I called AGAIN and was told that we used up all 20 gigs. They offered me a higher amount. I told them “no thanks”. We didn’t use the laptop or internet until March.

The first week in March we couldn’t even get online. I called AGAIN and was told that we used up all our gigs. I told them that’s bull and said I no longer wanted service through them. I told them I wanted to pay what I owed and I would return their equipment because they sucked. They went on and on about how they will give me next month free if I just gave them another chance. I agreed. When they went over my account info they still had the Oak Harbor address on file. I told them that we live in Alvada. They asked if a technician came to our Alvada address and installed the service. I said “yes”. They told me that they would have to open up another “ticket” and disconnect the one on file from Oak Harbor. I told them how invconvenient this was and how their service sucked. They apologized. I followed the directions of the person on the phone and within 40 minutes they supposedly opened and new ticket and everything was goo and even offered me another free month of service. I agreed.

The first week of April came and once again we couldn’t get on the internet. I called AGAIN and was on the phone over 35 minutes. Finally they told me that my service was disconnected 3 days prior. I said a lot of things that were probably not appropriate. They then tried to offer me 15 gigs for 69.99. REALLY?? They disconnected my service without notice. Told me that I had 5 days to return their equipment from day of disconnect. They would send me an box in the next 5-7 business days. Or else I would be charged for the equipment. I told them I didn’t even know my service was disconnected, They told me there was nothing I could do. I asked to speak to a manger and they said nobody was available.

So we waited for the box. Hurried up and returned everything and I called them back. They said they would wave the early disconnect fee since I had so many problems. I thanked them and hung up. May 22, 2015 I received an email saying that my Exede Internet payment is due and 60.70 was taken out of my account. I immediately called and was told they don’t understand why this happened and offered to refund my money in 7-10 business days. I told them to get rid of ALL of my info so this wouldn’t happen again.

10 days later, they refunded the money. June 22, 2015 I got another email saying the same thing. Once again they took out 60.70 out of my checking account. I called AGAIN and told them just how I felt. They apologized and said they would refund my money in 7-10 business days. I complained they what they were doing was illegal and threatened a law suit. They apologized and said they would fix the problem. I asked to speak to management and they transferred me to them. Another guy got on the phone and said he was sorry for everything and that he had taken all of my info out and this would FOR SURE NOT happen again. I told him that his company was terrible. He said he would put a rush on my refund. The refund was in my account 2 days later.

July 22,2015 another email saying the same thing as before came. 60.70 was taken out of my account AGAIN. This was the last straw. I called them and complained and told them that I was reporting them to BBB and wherever else I could. They told me that maybe I need to change my bank account info so this doesn’t happen again. I told them I shouldn’t have to change it. I have things auto deducted each month. And they are not one of them. I said I wanted this taken care of NOW. They told me to hold while they transferred me to their corporate office. I said ok. Then they hung up on me. I called back again and told a different person what happened. They said they would take my bank account info out of the system and wondered why it wasn’t already done. They told me to check back on Friday the 31st of July to make sure it worked and that there was a rush on my refund.

I am beyond mad and wanted to make sure that nobody else has to go through this. PLEASE DO NOT GET EXEDE WILDBLUE VIASAT INTERNET. THEY SUCK!

Viasat or Exede Wildblue – 4830 East 49th St 4830 E 49th St | 866-945-3258

25 Most Recent ViaSat Complaints

More About ViaSat

Alternate Business Names: Exede, WildBlue Communications, Inc. | | |

Consumer Comments For ViaSat

• Do not use this company they are the worst wi fi company out there when you cancel your account with them they take 328.50 out of your account and keep it until you send the modem and take a large piece of the dish and send it back to them, then after they receive the equipment you have to call them and request the money be refunded and then they tell you it will take 7 to 14 days for them to refund the money. so if you don’t call them they will keep your money. if you have to have them come out and take that piece off the dish they will charge you 125 dollars. I don’t understand how this company is allowed to stay in business someone needs to investigate this company for ripping people off.

• Glad I checked up on this company before I signed anything. NOT gonna do it…..I am with AT&T using a wireless device and though I don’t get the amount of gigs I need, the service is fast and reliable. I am sticking with my AT&T wireless data card. Plus I can take it with me anywhere I go. I called DirecTV to check into getting something that offers me more data gigs but not at this price….the price of sanity, speed, customer service, etc…..not worth it…..

• I would say I got about 6 months of mediocre service over two years. Most of it was spent dealing with problems (with speeds, disconnects, data usage inaccuracies, billing inaccuracies) and headaches (don’t even try to get assistance from phone customer or “tech” “support”) and frustration complemented by anger (at the entire company). BBB complaint responses were EXEDE-ingly rude and they lied about rebates). I was assigned an engineer who worked with me for over 2 months to get their technical issues cleared up. For that I received 3 months free service (after a year of unreliable service). And now I can’t get straight answers out of them about ending contract when it is up (e.g. not having early termination fees or additional fees for late returns of equipment). From all the nightmare anecdotes I read I thought it was prudent to start in early to get the answers needed: How many days before the end of contract should I call (and wait on hold and be transferred ad nauseum and be cut off) to tell them I am not renewing my contract? How long does it take to receive the packaging to return the equipment? The only answer I’ve gotten is that one has 20 days (not 30 days as it is written) to return equipment without incurring more fees. Had I known what I know now, I would have opted for dial up as a better option. For rural folks facing the digital divide, this company is not a solution.

• Speed is mediocre, customer service is horrible, and with a two year long contract they managed to make an excuse to increase my bill in the middle of it. When I called to cancel I am being told I am going to have an early termination few around $250.

• We got Dish Excede internet in June 2012 with 10 GBytes anytime usage. In June of 2014, according to Dish, we used up the 10 GBytes two days before the end of the billing cycle. At that time we “upgraded” to the 15 GBytes anytime usage plan. The following cycle we ran out of data 8 days before the end of the billing cycle. (We have not changed our internet habits.) This past cycle we ran out of data 20 days before the end of the cycle. This time we will run out 23-24 days before end of cycle.

We noticed that when we are not on the internet, we unplug the computer from
    the modem, (we do not use routers) and lose from 200 Mbytes to 5.5 GBytes,
    usually overnight.

We have contacted Dish numerous times over this issue, and they consistently
    blame us, the customer, for our usage habits. All the operators are using the
    same script or have been trained on what to say to the customer regarding this
    issue. The operators are aware of the meter “problem”; if you ask them if there
    are other complaints on this issue they will admit there are, and there will be
    no reimbursement to the customer.

The first 24 months, from June 2012 to June 2014, we never exceeded the 10
    GByte anytime usage, according to Dish. Suddenly, we SLOWLY began to exceed it in June/July of this year. It is possible that during the first 24
    months of service we may have been using more than the 10 GBytes but not
    metered correctly, and Dish has now started metering. But, that still does not explain.200 MBytes to 5.5 GBytes loss when nothing is plugged into the modem.

Also, noticed that these complaints started increasing exponentially beginning in 2013. This timing would coincide with some important events about to take place.

• What ever happened to accountability and accepting responsibility for ones actions? The majority of the comments on here are from ignorant people. Gee I didn’t know I had a data plan. What do you mean I can’t download netflix blah blah blah. Did you consider that you are dealing with third party installers for the company and that they may tell you what ever you want to hear in order to sell it to you? Every complaint I have read on here is addressed right on the excede website disclaimer.

It is also on the FAQ page

2nd sentence clearly states 24 month commitment. So how is it that none of you knew about this? Oh cause you didn’t read the disclaimer or the FAQ page? How is your stupidity the companies fault?

As for all of the people going over their data limit, did you look at your usage meter? That is located in your "my account" section. Try looking there and determining where your usage is going before complaining about the company. Are all of your devices turned on wifi and updating all of those apps? Are you downloading netflix or trying to use it for gaming?

I say all of this because I have had their service for over two years and I do not have any problems with speed or going over my allowance. I average 23 mbps download speed and I use 9 gb per month. That is 4 people using the internet for email, social media, videos and occasional movie down loads. I DO NOT use netflix or gaming. If I have huge files to download for work then I set that up to happen after midnight then it doesn’t affect my usage at all.

My point is how about looking at yourself 1) for not reading the fine print and 2) see if it is not in fact something you are doing before complaining on a site like this.

• Snarky replies are unhelpful. These are smart people with legitimate complaints. Yours is a typical Exede problem solving technique.

• Customer service people are not legally allowed to lie to you to make a sale. Period. Ever. They are not event allowed to make misleading comments. For example, my sales representative told me that Exede has several upgrades in the works, including unlimited internet coming very soon. Shaded not tell me that this new upgrade will NEVER be available in my area, due to our sector size. That is a misleading comment. Even though she never promised that I personally would have access to unlimited internet, she did infer that I would. If a customer service person lies or misleads you to make a sale, the company can be sued. Check out FCC regulations and consumer trade regulations while you’re busy googling the Exude website to criticize people with legitimate complaints.

• Absolutely horrible company. I’ve only had it for 2 days, hated it the first day, and tried to cancel on the 2nd day. They say I have to pay the termination fee of $360.00. I have filed a dispute payment on my credit card, and will do everything I can to get out of this miserable mess. Shame on you exede, you are taking advantage of what looks like many, many innocent customers. It’s slow, data charges are enormous, and I feel like a fool for ever signing up!

• We have stayed with W/B-excede only because it is hard to find service when you live out of town. Our "high speed" is so slow, I can drive to the library, view yahoo email, make copies and be back home faster than I can get it done here! Is that sad? Worse, we have been unable to get into the wildblue email they say we MUST have and no-one has fixed it for over a year! They send notices to it and we have no way of reading it. Finally, I asked via chat, how to stop service AND their payment….they questioned why I would change providers and I told them, the response was basically "oh well…" WOW !!! How can a company stay in business when their clients are treated so poorly!??

• Customer service is the worst, they give you an answer that they think you want to hear, when signing up we were informed that the 10 gig would work for us and we were also told we would be able to stream up 15 movies a month from Netflix, wrong after going rounds with them they gave us 25 gig package for a month and we only streamed 3 movies and we reached our limit before our billing date, I would never recommend this at all you spend more time on hold and waiting for a customer service person than any other company , it has been a nightmare for us!!!!!

• My experience with Exede has been what I was told it would be and therefore expected. Yes, there is a data limit and some latency but it streams 1080 HD vids perfectly smooth from Youtube and other sources. No, I can’t do Netflix because of the data limit or some games because of the latency, but I can do most everything else and do so at super fast speeds compared to dial-up. There is no other option for me so this is a blessing compared to dial-up even though I can’t do Netflix or real-time gaming. I can go to sites with lots of graphics or content and load the page in 7 seconds as opposed to, literally, 7 minutes and pay bills or shop Amazon, or check the weather or my e-mail, etc.

As far as customer service goes I have had no dealings with them because the service has worked fine for me. With regard to the contract, I was aware because I saw it on their site while reviewing it to make my decision to subscribe. Same goes for the data limit.

Quit doing Netfix, ditch the wireless router and hard wire your modem directly to your computer and you will not have a data usage issue anymore and your speeds will increase tremendously. Exede is not a substitute for cable or DSL. It is an alternative to dial-up that allows you to enjoy the benefits of high speed internet for everyday online activities.

If you are using 10 Gb of internet a month, you are a socially dysfunctional loser. Get a life and/or a hobby. With all the time you spend online you should have known the Exede policy about data usage and the contract because you should have read it before deciding to subscribe. To quote "Bear" Bryant, "Be nice to people." And maybe the Exede customer service people will be nice to you. ROLL TIDE !!!!!!!

• stay away … cannot believe anything they say …service never performed as promised. Hughesnet is no better and they can’t speak English, so only choice is country is 3G or 4G Lte. Not much better either but at least you can use it anywhere. Local companies usually offer the best service. At least local companies have a store you can walk into and speak to someone face to face.

• I have spent over 28 hours on the phone with this company trying to resovle a multitude of issues that started on the install date. 2 months later I am still having the smale issues, data diddappearing, reps not knowing how to fix anything. on hold for 45 mins only to get hung up on, with no call back. My time is not getting repaid…. and the problems still exist. HORRIBLE COMPANY

• I am so upset. I had this service hooked up for not even a month for work. Was never told we had a contract. I signed up with Time Warner a month after. Just the other day, those shady suckers took $287.00 out of my account. I have filled out a complaint to the BBB. These people must be stopped.

• I recently had this service installed in my home (Feb 2014). The day they installed my service was installed, I was not home. But, magically, I received an email with their "Customer Agreement" the same day which showed I had esigned it. My father in law was the one present during the install and he was never even shown a contract or asked to sign anything. I wrote to the BBB and was referred to the Attorney General of Colorado. If i were you, I would also check your contract to see if they signed on your behalf and then I would contact the Attorney General of Colorado to inform them of the company’s forgery and fraudulent business practices.

• This company sucks to the max. We returned our equipment as we were asked but because THEY DID NOT do their job and receive the equipment into their system, we were charged $324.15 for not returning our equipment. Then we had a hard time getting them to refund OUR money, that they NEVER should have taken out.
    This all started 11/08/2013 and now it’s 12/31/2013 and we are still fighting with this incompetent company. If this continues I will be contacting:
    Company: ViaSat, Inc. Exede, WildBlue
    Corporate Address: 349 Inverness Dr S
    Englewood , California 80112
    Phone: 866-945-3258
    Contact: Mark D Dankberg – CEO
    So keep this information handy if any of you wish to contact them as well.
    Rosemarie Simon
    Mesa AZ

• Exceed internet service is easily the worst internet provider I have ever dealt with. First of all they have a data-plan (which I was unaware of prior to setting up the contract) I didn’t even know that existed for anything other than my phone. The internet itself was worthless. We were unable to stream videos via netflix, in fact, we couldn’t even connect to netflix because the connection was so slow. Even after we added more data to our plan there were numerous devices throughout the house that couldn’t even connect to the internet. I couldn’t even send an email. I immediately recognized that this service was not going to be adequate. Less than a month after starting the service they would not let me out of my contract, even though I was 100% unsatisfied. After numerous hours on hold and talking to three different customer service representatives, two of which are supervisors, they still want to charge me for 2 years of upcoming service. DO NOT USE EXCEED INTERNET!!! Their internet is crap, their service is crap. Unacceptable.

• Worst internet company I have ever had the displeasure to register with. So I contact directv to sign up for cable and internet at my new home. Directv transfers me to exceed which conveniently does not inform me their internet works through a data plan! I have never had to use an internet data plan other than my cellphone plan years ago! So we almost immediately exceed (great name) our data and are unable to stream netflix, movies or even connect to the internet. Even prior to exceeding our data package the internet was slow and took several hours just to check email and pay bills. When I called two weeks after having exceed and told them I wanted to cancel our service the customer service was terrible, all 4 people spoken to were complete a*s holes and went on to charge me $15 a month for 24 months a total of $345 dollars on top of their already insanely high prices it cost to have their service for a month. 100% displeased with this company, do not use them if you actually want internet that works!!!! I should have checked reviews first, because I would have never gone with them if I had known about the data plan. Directv needs to stop sending their customers to Exceed because I will never recommend either company again after this experience.

• I called them to find out why I don’t receive a bill. I was told they are a green company and don’t use paper. Really? Then how did I sign a two year agreement? I was not told about this. I also wasn’t told they would be deducting my payments out of my account every month. I bundled with direct tv. Viasat said my total bill would be $79.99 for both. It is $110.00. I was told all this info is on their website under the email address I gave them I never gave them one! I would have never signed with a company that requires a 2 year contract unless I have had their service before. The rep said she would help set up my account access. Why? So she could click the "I agree to these terms" button? After numerous calls they will still not send me a bill. Green Company my ****. You can bet the CEO doesn’t ride a bicycle to work. Stay as far away from this company as possible. Cheesy, lying thieves!

• One of the most dishonest companies I have done business with. They promised the service call fees would be waived but still charged me for them. If you do not get it in writing, do not believe the promises they make. I am very unhappy with this company. I would not recommend doing business with Viasat/Exede.

• have to say this is the worst internet ive come by.we are suppose to have a 15 gig limit here. mostly every one here only checks email and couple youtube videos which isnt often seeings how the internet speeds are usually around 6-12 kbs every single day. i think maybe 3 days out of the month it has ok speeds maybe 50kbs-1 mbps.i would not recommend this service to anyone.latency is almost always between 1200-2000 ms.
    facebook and other sites take more time to load then on my free dial up internet service i use because viasat doesnt load fast enough.cannot use netflix, youtube, downlod any updates for my playstation or anything.

• as a viasat exede disnet installer.this internet is just for people that don’t have any other options.if u live on an area that u can have acces to dsl or cable…..satellite internet is not for u…use satellite internet as ur last option..

• Just cancelled my service with Viasat after less than two months. A laundry list of reasons.
    Sales did not offer the DATA package info 10GB’s
    No trial period
    Slow speed.
    Could not access most websites on the fourth attempt
    Customer service is terribble. On hold for ever.
    Had to sign two year deal and could not break agreement after less than two months of service.

I would use two cups and a string before using VIASAT.

I just signed with Amplex. No data package issues with them.

• We just had ViaSat put in last week Saturday, April 20th. We too were never told initially about only 10 GB’s of data per month and that we’d have to pay for more. We had gone through our "limit" within 3 days. The installer did say something to us about free downloads between midnight and 5:00 am, but I realize that meant everything that streams, like on demand and roku. Direct TV has not been our issue because that has been excellent so far…it’s this ViaSat that’s the rip off!

• Yes, untruthful rip off, realized within 2 days and wanted out. Will sent equipment back and hope to get out of their 12 page contract, which we did not see until I sign on techs computer and looked up contract on mine. I had spent HOURS on the phone asking all the right questions that were answered in lies. How can their be no clause to get out for 2 years, when it is ripping off everyone for 400 dollars. I hope we can settle this for all concerned.

• They ripped me off around 400 dollars. bunch of stealers. still trying to steal money from my account. ABSOLUTELY THE WORST INTERNET PROVIDER EVER!!!!!! RUN AWAY!! I

• I live in a rural area and could not get DSL access so I suffered with dial-up for several years finally I opted for wildblue. When it was advertised from Wild blue that I could get satellite coverage for a base rate of $39/mo, since I was already paying about $27/mo for a 2kb dial-up, I jumped at the chance. It took over 3 months to get an install scheduled and when the date for the install came and went and no one showed, I tried to get the local Radio Shack, which advertised Wild blue, to install but since the $39/mo rate under the program was advertised with free installation no installers in the area had any incentive to do the job. To make a long story short, I eventually escalated my discontent enough to get to a representative from ViaSat to take some positive action. He did a great job. Three days later my dish was installed by a team from DishTV. My DishTV bill and new Wildblue bill were combined. Everything was great! My setup ran like a dream for the rest of 2012. Great response time, go up time, I was in heaven. In December of 2012, I received a letter from DishTV saying that they were going to start charging me an additional $5/mo. but that they were going to give me a credit of 5$/mo for the next 18 months (go figure). In addition they stated that there would now be limits imposed on usage if I exceeded a certain amount of usage per month. Shortly after that my response time went south. I have been monitoring my bandwidth usage and now regardless of when it is measured it is less that 1%. Coverage drops all the time. This is barely more than the speed I had experienced under dial-up. Worst part is, now I am hooked under a contract that I can’t back out of without penalty.

• Slower connection behind Cable modem and DSL modem, bad weather and connection is lost, slow customer service response times, rude customer service techicians, extra charges once you exceed Internet usage rate, THEY CHARGE YOU TO COME OUT AND REMOVE THEIR SATELLITE DISH.

• HEY GUYS!! Exede (Wildblue) doing business via Viasat is actually doing business under the name WayPath! After MUCH digging, I found that information on this website:

PLEASE go file your complaints with the BBB!!!! The company you need is:
    Waypath Ventures, LLC
    632 Matthews Mint Hill Rd Ste E
    Matthews NC 28105-1769

You can verify that in the company description listed. PLEASE file!! They are rated an A- company with no complaints (other than mine) because they do all this name shuffling!! They are crooks, help others avoid them!

• thats just a re-seller, not the parent company

• I am thinking about switching my TV, Internet & phone service from Comcast to DirectTV. I called DirectTV and went through the package I would be interested in and the rep said I could only get ViaSat. I had never heard of the inrpternet company so I told him I will hold off on everything until I did some research on my own, on this company. I just want to say, thank you all for your reviews of ViaSat. The rep at DirectTv didn’t mention a word about running out of data and having to pay extra, etc. I am now convinced that neither DirectTv nor ViaSat is for me. Thanks again folks for the heads up!

• I just did the same thing! I already have direct tv have had them for 4 years but have had comcast for internet which is pretty exspensive. I am so glad I told them I’d look into viasat before I gave them an answer!! Life saver. People you have to stop trusting anyone and everyone and start doing research!

• Darn right you’ll be sorry. I bought it and the salesperson didn’t even bother to tell me that there are data limits. Only 10 days into the month and we’ve exceeded our data limit so we got an email saying they were slowing our speeds down and the email practically scolded us for our Internet usage saying that we should "monitor our usage" and that they "reserve the right to further restrict [our] service if [our] usage becomes excessive."

"Excessive"?! So I called and spoke to one rude person who got me to a reasonable person who explained to me that in order to meet our usage (which I’d have to think is about average in the U.S.A.) that we’d be paying $200 per month JUST FOR INTERNET SERVICES and that even at that, we would still go over and be on restriction.

Shocked, I told her that the local cable folks would give us unlimited Internet for far, far less. "Of course" was her response.

So we’re going with cable. What is this, 1990 and we’re paying for AOL minutes? ViaSat needs to get with the time. Plus the Internet service drops constantly, Netflix rebuffers. And that was BEFORE they sent us the email chastising us for our usage and saying they were going to slow our speed down. Slow it down? It’s already just barely over dial up. Anyway, I just didn’t want someone else to get to the frustration level that I’m at so I thought I’d share my experience. ViaSat stinks. They seriously need to get with the times.

• I have tried Excede for 3 days.

1.Your computers were down and you refused to call me back!
    2.Last night I held for over 20 minutes and was forced to listen to the recording over and over – This just ads to aggravation and frustrations
    3.This morning same thing again.

The wind blows here and the connection stops. I cannot live with that or your customer service.

Fix this at once. I have a business to run and you are interfering with it.

• I’m having this problem with my Ann Taylor account. The website will not come up. I try to go through Comenity Bank and that worked last time but now, Comenity’s website is not coming up. WTH????