HughesNet Reviews and Complaints by Consumers and Customers

Hughesnet.com SnapShot

Last Updated On: July 2, 2015

HughesNet Corporate Contact

Business Name: Hughes Network Systems, LLC.
11717 EXPLORATION LN
Germantown, Maryland 20876 USA

Corp Phone Number: 866-774-6580
Company Contact: Pradman Kaul - CEO
Corp Website: hughesnet.com

HughesNet Customer Ratings and Reports

Latest HughesNet Complaint

Is HughesNet a Rip Off, Fraud or Have They Scammed You? WARN OTHER CONSUMERS By Sharing

Category: Internet Service Providers Directory ListingHughes Network Systems, LLC. Listing

Gen4 Rip-off

I made the mistake of letting my boyfriend (through the good ole’ boys network) contact Ozark Satellite (a HughesNet provider) for HughesNet Gen4 service because it was touted to be so much faster and better than before. He contacted Jeff it was better and faster than my current internet, it was the exact same services as I had only faster and was the same price; and was also told 1) we could try the service free to see if we liked it; and 2) we no longer had to enter into a contract we could use it on a month to month service by Jeff with Ozark Satellite.

Installation was done on the 26th of April, 2015 (a Sunday no less) and since that time, there was nothing but trouble with the service, i.e. slow connection times, slow searches and at time inability to connect at all. I contacted him several times about issues and complained and the standard responses were given…you are on the internet, you are “receiving” the speeds you paid for, and the best one, my router was the problem, etc. (but I bought a brand new one that cost me $100 and I still had the problem!) and when I said I was canceling (within that month), he kept on “troubleshooting” the issue. I said I wanted to cancel so I wouldn’t have to pay any money and he said I wasn’t out any money I was on a free trial, it hadn’t cost me anything.

The time the “free” trial period ended I was pretty fed up with HughesNet Gen4 and called in to cancel with them (because Jeff kept insisting I was getting super internet service). Since I wasn’t on the account (it was in Curtis’ name and I couldn’t cancel it) he would have to call. Additionally, I was “blocked” from service (or whatever the term was) because I had apparently “used” all my data for the billing period and I couldn’t even get on the internet. What data allowance? I was told it was just like what I had and I had unlimited data to my knowledge with my previous company and this couldn’t be just like that but be that as it may, how could I have used data? I get on the internet, get my email, etc. and that’s about it.

I contacted Jeff and explained what was going on to him, he said that I was allowed 5 gb of data which was used up by downloading and/or watching movies and stuff like that, all of which I DO NOT do. Jeff was going to send a tech to “get to the bottom of that issue” but I had to call into HughesNet so they could troubleshoot it from their end first. That was a total waste of a good hour and a half of my life because I got nowhere with that because the girl from wherever could not grasp my statement that I could not get anywhere on any website because I couldn’t get on the internet because they had me blocked or whatever.

Curtis then contacted Jeff and canceled service same day as the fiasco with tech support and was told they would send a box for their equipment, this was June 1, 2015, five days after my free trial period ended. I still have yet to receive the box to get the equipment returned but I checked our bank statement and there was a monthly charge for HughesNet services on 6-26-15.

I contacted HughesNet and found out that the service had not been canceled and that service was still active. After an hour of arguing with them, I was advised that 1) we were on a 2-year contract so it guess it was the old bait and switch tactic; and 2) they do not offer free trial periods notwithstanding the fact that their representative told both of us that we were on one. I have not had service with them since 6-1-15 but he said they would do everything in their power to provide me with good services and give me a discount for a year on my billing BUT if I canceled, I am going to be charged $385.00 cancellation fees.

So I am out $74.20 in monthly fees and looking at a charge of $385 to cancel them completely. Fraud complaint for not being able to provide me with reliable and good service as they promised and advertised; bait and switch for telling us service was month to month and it ended up a 2-year contract and for charging us for the free trial period and the monthly service fee when I have not had service.

HughesNet – Ozark Satellite – 3053 Hwy W Ozark MO 65721 | 417-485-0246 | ozarksatellite.net

25 Most Recent HughesNet Complaints

Consumer Comments For HughesNet

• TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!
    We had HN for several years (it was the most reasonable even though the speed was terrible). Well when phone companies started advertising the family plans with more data to share, we were curious. When our HN contract was up, we called to cancel, and ended up getting talked into a year agreement. Was supposed to be a better plan at a lower price and it seemed to beat the price we would have paid thru the mobile phone company that we were considering using for our internet. Well in a couple months, the phone company lowered rates on more data so my family discussed cancelling HN since we only had a few months left anyway. Called to cancel the contract and was quoted a termination fee as if I had been on a two year contract from the beginning. I finally set them straight on what had happened and they found the notes in their records that it was only supposed to be a 1 year agreement. Since I was only checking the price of the termination I didn’t cancel that day because I still had to talk to the primary account holder (my dad) and see if they thought it was worth it to terminate the service. Well when he gave me the ok to terminate the service, I called back, and once again, they tried to tell me it would cost more (as if I had a two year agreement and not one). I was pretty frustrated at this point, but again was able to set them straight and they found it in their notes that it would be less because it was in fact only a one year agreement.
    Finally the service is cancelled and I will no longer have to deal with HN…WRONG!! Checking my credit card statement I found that instead of charging the the fee for cancellation of the one year agreement, they charged me the cancellation fee for a two year agreement. I WAS FURIOUS!! Again I had to call HN and AGAIN I had to set them straight on the amount that I should have been charged.. AGAIN they found it in their notes and they were able to issue me a refund.
    They send the box to return the equipment in, we pack up and sent off the equipment. Low and behold, a month later, I have a $219 charge on my credit card. I contact a HN rep thru chat and they explain to me that all of the equipment was not returned. Finally they HN rep was able to tell me what to send back, but they would not send another box for us to ship it in. Dad got involved on this one and we ended up getting the second box for free, I guess he was able to get them to understand that we don’t deal with the internet equipment for a living, so how the heck are we supposed to know what to send back. (We are both pretty ticked off and just fed up with HN at this point)
    Two weeks after shipping the equipment off, I still have been issued a credit to my card, so again, on chat (so I can send the transcript to my email) I talk to a rep and they told me there was a credit on the account, just hadn’t made it to the card yet.. they will have to have a rep contact me to start the refund. But get this.. I will not be getting the full refund, only the refund for the charge for the equipment, but not for the sales tax.. I COULD be wrong on this.. but shouldn’t I get my full refund back.. and what sale was made to initiate a sales tax on this penalty that was charged for the equipment that they ultimately own??

• SLOWEST INTERNET SERVICE SINCE DIAL-UP! SO NOT WORTH IT AND THEY WANT YOU TO PAY A HUGE SUM TO DISCONNECT WHEN THE SERVICE IS DEFINITELY NOT WORTH IT!

• Sadly been a HN consumer for about 6 years now, as it is our only option
    here. If some other option ever comes our way we are running into their
    arms and never looking back.
    Always getting randomly throttled (as
    we speak & actually the past couple days. Worse than dialup speed),
    rolling 24 hour download allowance, FAP, price, no
    video’s/music/streaming/games, got to even watch how many pictures you look at, etc.

Plan allowance is only 250mb – per rolling 24 hour period.

Always have to keep our rolling 24 hour “download allowance status” meter open just to keep an eye on it.
    Any clouds, rain, storms, etc. it goes out.
    Ever need help? Call customer service, wait FOREVER, get the run around & can’t understand the majority of what they say but somehow it’s always something wrong on your end they’ll have you checking this & that & finally when you’ve been through it all miraculously it’s fixed (after you’ve done everything they’ve asked and none of it worked but all of a sudden it’s “fixed” you know they’ve pushed/typed something in that they could’ve just done in the beginning in the first place without the runaround testing to begin with). Then for it to be just satisfactory for a short period of time.

$80 a month for this?! Ripoff!!!
    Hate, hate, hate, hate and oh did I mention HATE it!
    I DO NOT recommend Hughes Net to anyone! If you have any other option, take it.

• Suspected I was not the only consumer disgusted by the lies and misrepresentation of Hughes Internet company. After the treatment I received from Hughes I would never deal with them again. Much slower speeds than promised, even the installing tech was amused by what I was told. My installer was excellent, but the phone reps were terrible, repeatedly trying to blame my computers for the problem. Also, "tech reps" for Hughes insisted I go to their website for "compatible" speed estimation on down and uploads. Their system kept reporting 5 megabytes with almost no variation as my available speed. Other "unapproved" sites reported much lower speeds which were a lot closer to the truth. I complained about the service and was told I would not have to pay for one month and I was given more time to evaluate the service. In the end, and after the installer/tech rep stated "the speed you are being given by Hughes, is all you will get from them, I quit my service over the phone and told Hughes to cancel my account. The rep on the phone immediately warne me of an early termination fee of $280.00 . Now they are calling me to settle my account. I advised them that as soon as the sent me "AN ITEMIZED BILL" I WOULD PAY FOR THE SERVICE BUT NOT ANY TERMINATION FEES. This company operates like the magazine and book sellers of old. Hughes is in my opinion one of the very worst internet providers in operation . After my problems with them, I found many other people who suffered the same mistreatment and disgust with Hughes. Hope something can be done about them. Thinking of reporting them to Baltimore based BBB aas suggested with one of the posts. Phil

• WORST COMPANY AND CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!!!! See the following:
    Hughes Net
    To whom it may concern,
    We started your service on July 29,2013. We were told we would get 10 gig plan with 5 meg per second and the person on the phone said it would be more then enough for us. We not only started service but paid $345.77 to pay for the equipment. In August we called back and let them know that the speed was not fast enough. 1. They told us our equipment was bad, but they never replaced it. 2. They told us if we went to 20 gig plan we would get faster service, which they never mentioned to us the first time. 3. They offered us the 20 gig at the same price as the 10 gig. Later they raised the price and when we called to find out why they said the lower price was only for 3 months. We were never told that.
    We have called several times since and talked to several people. I am on the phone right now. We started our call at 10:03am and it is now 11:22am. My husband started talking to someone who passed him on to a manager who said his name was Randy Johnson. I asked to speak to his supervisor and he passed me on to Aurther Garcia. Aurther said he was Randy’s supervisor but his title was the same. I asked to speak with Aurther’s supervisor and he said he does not know who that is. Why is that?? At this point I am very upset!!!
    1. I want our money back that we paid for the equipment of $345.77
    2. I want the equipment removed from our house.
    3. I want out of this contract with out being charged a fee.

The equipment has never worked for us. I keep getting the runaround by several members of your staff. We were told we could cancel in 30 days and when we tried, you said you would give us faster speed and more gigs. Your company has been fraudulent, and unethical and I need you to make this right for me. The service is poor and does not work for us.

I will be expecting an email or phone call, by upper management next week.

Leah D

• This is the worse internet provider I ever tried. The speed is ridiculously slow like the old dial up service.
    The customer service is even worse than the service.
    They only want to take you money. Only looking to charge you for the early termination fees that is a fortune.
    Please do yourself a huge favor, do not use them !!!!!

• wow, you guys hAte hughes-net. i dont getit, what you are forgetting is WHAT DO YOU DO IF YOU WANT INTERNET AND THE ONLY OTHER OPTION IS DILEUP?? i wish hughsnet didn’t take advantge of people living in the country, but i have to say it is better than dial up. we get calera hughesnet address is http://www.calera.biz , it is OK

• Maureen you must not really look at what you got. Its better then dial up but not much. In January 2012 I was given what I thought was a deal they charged me 299 for service then gave me back 99 of it. They told me they would buy my equipment back for 199. They told me that was not true. When I told them I still have the paperwork they hung up on me. I called them back and they did it again.

• Hughesnet is a mess. But, I emailed the Better Business Bureau and Hughes responded immediately after the BBB contacted them. I got all my money back the next day. So I am thinking the best recourse is to notify the BBB. I also got Hughes to email me a letter saying that I had returned the equipment, had a $0 balance and we no longer had any kind of financial relationship. Oh yeah, the other option is to change your credit card account number, then they can’t bill you. Also, our credit card company blocked any further charges from Hughesnet. Good luck. I hope this helps someone.

• I have no problem with HughesNet internet service. I am happy with it. But their website is the absolute worst!! Takes forever, and you can’t do what you want to do. Takes half an hour to pay your bill and you may not even be successful

• The only way to deal with Hughes Net is to contact the Better Business Bureau where there home office is in Maryland, I promise you will get results and it want take you long to get an answer, I went round and round with them never could speak to anyone who could speak very good English. I filed a claim with BBB against them and within 2 weeks a very nice young man from Hughes Net Corp Head Quarters called me and I had a $500.00 refund and an apology for poor customer service.

• I am a previous Hughes Net customer. They are the worst company I have ever done business with. The download speed tests on the company”s website were skewed. When we checked the speed of our Internet on other sites, we found that we were getting a tenth of the speed we were promised. I was dumb enough to believe that if I upgraded, my speeds would be better. Wrong! I paid ten dollars a month more with no improvement in download speeds. When I tried to call them to complain, I would be put on hold for 30-45 minutes. Their so-called technicians were obviously reading from a script and had no idea how to fix any problem. One technician wasn’t even familiar with the term ping. When I tried to get out of my contract, which only had two months left, I was told I would have to pay a huge cancellation fee. When I said I wanted to complain, and that the way I figured it, the company owed me money for not providing speeds I was promised, I was told that I could send a snail mail letter to the corporate office. As a customer, I could not send an email or even call the corporate office of a Internet Service Provider. Am I the only one who sees what is wrong with this picture? I received a call from a customer service rep after I cancelled my account and told him that he was working for a company that cared more about profit than providing reliable Internet to people in rural areas who have no other choice. The company has its customers by the short hairs and does everything it can to screw their customers. Enough said! Now we have reliable, high speed Internet from a local business that is more concerned about people than profit.

• HUGHESNET is the WORST. DO NOT USE THEM.
    They will overbill . You cannot get anyone on the phone for over 40 minutes
    then it is someone who does not speak english
    they will make you PROVE to them what their online installation fee was
    they will charge you and once you question they will send you an email- THEN THEY DON’T
    they say they will reverse charges-THEN THEY DON’T
    they will send you a new email saying login with password to see what you are chargeed THEN THEY DON’T RECOGNIZE YOU WITH THE PASSWORD THEY PROVIDED
    they will ask you to signup to Hughesnet email and once you do THEY DON’T RECOGNIZE YOU AS A CUSTOMER
    the only time they recognize you is when they charge your credit card!!!
    they make you sign a 24 month contract and are SLOWER THAN DIAL UP
    no games can be played on this pitiful service
    if the wind blows, it will CRASH
    it will take weeks for a technician to re-direct the transmitter
    THEY CONVINCE YOU THAT IF YOU GO TO GEN 4 IT IS BETTER- IT IS NOT!!!
    THEN THEY WILL OVERCHARGE. i am so angry with them
    they will tell you they will rebate you and they DONT

DONT USE THEM. DON’T USE THEM. DONT USE THEM!!!!!!

• I am deaf.. I AM WAITING TO GET $300 REBATE….. PLEASE SEND $300 TO JUDY PURCELL 428 PEACE PIPE LANE CAPE GIRARDEAU,MO AND I EMAILED MANY TIMES… YOU NEVER ANSWEDR ME….