Kmart Reviews and Complaints by Consumers and Customers SnapShot

Corp Email:
Company Contact: Edward Lampert - CEO

Kmart Customer Ratings and Reports

Latest Kmart Complaint

Is Kmart a Rip Off, Fraud or Have They Scammed You? WARN OTHER CONSUMERS By Sharing

Category: Department Stores Directory ListingSears Brands, LLC Listing

Tyrant Racist Assistant Manager

I have been a long standing customer of Kmart, for more than 20 years. I have always preferred their quality of goods over their competitors. I have also always preferred their layaway program, as well as it offers consumers the ability to place most all goods on layaway.

For the last 10+ years my best friend and I have always made a day to do all of our Christmas shopping together at our local Kmart. This year was no exception. However, we are getting a later than usual start this year due to scheduling conflicts. Today October 18, 2015, we were finally able to schedule our annual shopping trip. Having checked the online schedule, we understood the store to be open from 8am-8pm.

We (my best friend, another friend and I) arrived at the store right at 3pm. We took our time, shopped every aisle and loaded up on our Christmas goods. We began our trip at the back of the store in toys and ended at the front of the store in children’s clothing. This made more sense so that we could put larger items in the cart first and clothing on top. As we neared the end of our shopping trip and were making our final selections around 6:45pm, an announcement was made that layaway would be closing in 15 minutes. Something we weren’t prepared for, since we understood the store to be open until 8pm and nowhere in the store was it posted that it would be closing the layaway department earlier.

Upon hearing this announcement, we ask the friend that my best friend brought to go get in line for us while we wrapped things up and pushed the now loaded carts all the way across the store. Our friend left immediately to get in line. Within 5 minutes, my best friend and I with our carts headed back to layaway. As we reached the end of the aisle to get in line for layaway, another announcement was made that layaway was now closed. By the time the lady finished the sentence, we were looking directly at her. The lady that made the announcement put the microphone down and looked me straight in my face and said, “Ma’am did you hear me, layaway is closed.”

I was flabbergasted, what was I supposed to do with this well over $600 worth of merchandise in the cart? My friend equally confused, just looked at me, it was still 10 minutes to 7pm. There were two cashiers behind the registers still checking customers out, neither would look up or acknowledge the situation. I ask the lady at the microphone was she serious, she said yes layaway is closed. So my friend and I took a few personal effects and left the carts full of merchandise right in the aisle. We were at a loss of what else to do with them.

I went straight to customer service and asked for the manager. In the meantime, my two friends checked out their merchandise at a register. The customer service representative, called on the phone and told the person on the other end a manager was needed up front, the representative then while still on the phone she said “she wants to know what you want”, I said “I want to speak to a manager”, she relayed the message and then the representative hung up the phone and said “she said she will be up in when she finishes what she is doing”. It was then I realized this must be the same woman that had just been on the microphone.

Sure enough about 5-7 minutes later the same woman approaches, I realize this is the assistant manager. She ask if she could help me, and I told her no it was apparent “she” couldn’t, she said “ma’am what seems to be the problem”, I told her “you’re the problem, what store closes a department without prior notice and then kicks people out of line?” She said “you weren’t in line when we closed layaway”, I said “yes I was, you looked me straight in my face as you finished the sentence” she said “we were closed by then,” so I ask her “so you mean to tell me you would rather lose more then $900 (between both carts) worth of sales then to finish helping people in line?”

Then she said “the cashiers get off work at 7pm and they have to go home”, so I ask her then as the assistant manager shouldn’t she finish helping people in line?” She said “I have other duties to attend to, I don’t have time.” So I ask her again so you would rather lose hundreds of dollars in sales today and a lifetime loyal customer than to take 5 minutes of your time to finish helping your customers?” She said you weren’t in line when we closed layaway, I stated again yes I was despite the fact I had not been waiting in line, my friend had been standing in line behind the customers the cashiers were still helping when we arrived.

She said my friend couldn’t hold our spot in line because she didn’t have any merchandise, I said she did have merchandise in my friends cart that we were bringing from across the store. She said she didn’t have the merchandise with her, so they didn’t consider her a layaway customer. So I ask her if she would have had the cart with her then would she had been considered a layaway customer and kicked out of line as well?” Then she said “ma’am who is your friend because I didn’t see anyone with you?”

(By now my friends were waiting by the return carts unable to come back on the merchandise side of the stores because they had already checked out, although we could clearly see one another)

I said yes you saw my friend, you kicked us all out of line.” She said then where is she? I said right there, pointing over to my friends still confused and waiting. The manager looked right at and then past them and said where? Apparently the black manager did not believe the two black women were with me. I said right there pointing again, my friends giving a concerned look because they were unsure what was going on, the manager finally realizes that we “were” in fact together, and then attempts to flip that argument by saying “well it’s obvious they didn’t have a problem with it, they didn’t say anything”.

I told her they decided to check out while I made the complaint, but that did not insinuate by any means that they were okay with her behavior. So I called my friend over that had waited in line and told her the manager believed because she hadn’t been by my side or said anything that she was okay with what had happened, my friend told her she wasn’t okay with it but felt as though a complaint was going to be ignored. The manager then said well you all should have been in line before we closed layaway; my friend told her “SHE” was in line, the manager said no you weren’t, all but calling my friend a liar to her face.

The manager finally said, well I can put your cart up and you can come back tomorrow to put it on layaway, I told her my family is military and live over an hour and a half away and couldn’t return the following day. Her response was “a shrug of the shoulders”. It was then we realized this woman was okay with her actions, behavior, and business ethics. I told the woman that was the worst business I have ever personally experienced and she should be ashamed for representing Kmart that way and walked off.

This woman was rude, unethical, and racist and in no way shape or form should be in charge of others. Having spoken to several people about this, I have learned that this particular Kmart has a high employee turnover rate especially for the managers, all from having dealt with this woman who has an obvious “power trip”. The stores business has also been in serious decline despite being the only Kmart around for over 100 miles and most of it can all be directly linked back to their customer service. I am unaware if they have an actual manager, public conversation says that the last manager quit because of this same woman. However, the employees seemed to be afraid of this tyrant.

Once we decided to walk away from this interaction, I decided to check out the few personal items I had in my hand, the manager then goes into explaining herself to the customer service representative behind the desk as if to rally troops, in case she is questioned. This was all within earshot while I was at a connecting register.

As long as this woman is employed by Kmart, I will not return. I will also encourage my friends “of every color” not to support a business that condones her behavior. Having gone through all of that and checked out my personal effects, my receipt reads 7:02pm. I am also sure should I be blessed enough that this complaint reaches corporate, that the timeline and events can be corroborated by security cameras as well.

Kmart – 2985 Cottingham Expy Pineville,, Louisiana 71360 United States | 318-640-5598

25 Most Recent Kmart Complaints

Consumer Comments For Kmart

• had a $10 coupon with a new Rx (I was going to buy coffee maker there) and was told with M’care you can’t use it–transferring “All” my Rx’s to Publix !!–you are losing “all my business” –being punished because I am old !!–
    I have worked hard all my life–never depended on the gov’t for anything until now–thks for making me feel like I am getting something for nothing !!!

• Went to get my layaway today and the employee’s are very rude and their rude to everyone who was standing in line. There this older blonde lady who hates her job always rude and rude every time I been in there, if I acted like that I acted like that were I worked I’d be fired. What happen to being helpful and nice to the people your waiting on. No wonder Kmart’s are going out of business. Do you every teach your employee’s how to treat people. Here a hint you’d get a lot more business if your employee learned how to treat people. Unhappy in Davenport, Iowa.

• What a sad sad store. Dirty disorganized rude. Terrible marketing terrible commercials no target market. Just shutdown. “Where members get more”. wHAT MEMBERS. The store is horrible. Every site not just one.

• The Kmart in Bed ford In. is closing and have a ton of toys and if no one buys them on Sunday they are going to throw the rest away, instead of giving them to children in need or to Riley for Christmas presents, now if that don’t say Scrooge then I don’t know what does.

• The Human Resource person at the Steger Kmart in Illinois is an idiot and should be fired. When she hires you she lies about hours wages and work you will be doing. The turn over of people is horrible. Nobody wants to stay. Every week there is a new face in that store. She’s been at her job too long and needs to go!

• Who is Butch?

• Bought a Singapore Chain reg Price 499.00 on sale @70% off Was then home went on Amazon they were selling exact same one for 45.00.isnt this considered Price gouging or at least bad buisness.kmart You Have Lost my buisness and since store is closing i Cant return it.

• I shop at kmart in Olean,New York and there is only one power chair which hardly works am handicap and can onley walk so far I thjnk they should have more than one chair so Im gone to have to shop at a store nthat sit up for handicap people that has more than one power chair gonnnne to miss shopping akmart unless they get moree piower chairs FOR THE DISABLE PEOPLE.

• I went to the Athens,TN K-Mart and tried to purchase some post-seasonal clearance items. The sign posted over the Thanksgiving items said, "75 percent off current price." There were two prices listed. To me, the current price would be the one listed last. I expected the cashier to take 75 percent off the most (current) price, the lower price. Tammy,the manager informed me that it means 75 percent off the original price. She refused to honer the add, or to change the sign. It should have stated clearly 75 percent off the original price,if that was what it meant Hobby Lobby, Michaels, and other stores are offering 80 and 90 percent off post holiday-seasonal items. I will not go back to that store again.

• I work there and it is suppose to be 75% off the discounted price. If it’s original price is $10. and it is marked $8. You would get it for $2.

• I’ll never shop at K-Mart or buy Joe Boxer products again.

• The Joe Boxer commercial was the worst, disgusting and shameful ad I have seen in a long time… Shame on you…for the love of money or for whatever reason you did this…it was terrible…little children with all their innocence and love of the Christmas Holiday were exposed to this…I will never shop at your store again…even the men that would take part in such a disgusting display of bad taste ought to be ashamed…forever ashamed…and again…SHAME ON YOU!!!!

• Does Kmart pay people to write those terrible commercials? The young woman "flipping out", screaming
    and the man yelling gibberish as they are electronicaly jumping back and forth because they shopped
    at Kmart is not enticing me to buy at your stores. But the men in shorts waggling their willy to keep
    time to the Christmas music was obscene, vulgar and had no purpose. The entire public relations
    department should be fired.

• My husband and I were extremely shocked and outraged by the Kmart Joe Boxer ad for Christmas 2013. The ad was crass and totally distasteful. Shame on you!

How did this get by the Federal Communications Commission?

The next time we see the Kmart store sign, we’ll remember this and avoid going in to shop.

• I received a watch from Kmart in Greeneville, TN for Christmas this year. I opened it on Christmas Eve, put it on my arm and about 20 minutes later it totally fell off my arm due to a pin falling out of it. We found the pin and my husband put it back together. On Christmas Day, I put the watch on again and drove to Knoxville to visit family and guess what……it fell apart again! So yesterday,December 26th, I took it back to Kmart. The girl working the service desk asked if I had my receipt. I told her no that it was a gift. She said "You can swap it out for another watch. Just go to jewelry and find another watch for $29.99 and I can swap it out for you. You can get a more expensive one but you will have to pay the difference." So I go to jewelry and find a replacement watch …….same price exactly but a different brand. After standing in line another 30 minutes for the exchange, I was told it had to be the same brand of I could only get half the price! Why wasn’t I told that the first time?

• Service desk rep lied. It can be any brand as long as price is same. I know this because I work in jewelry at kmart.

• Shame on KMART and Joe Boxer for being tasteless, No plans to return to the store ever. Kmart is pulling a Miley Cyrus Just to get attention.

• you commercial is in very poor taste- shame on you.

• If I could write a book on "How to Run an Already Hurting Business into the Ground" I start with that filth you K-mart people call a commercial. That Joe Boxer ad is the most offensive commercial I’ve ever seen on TV. It is obvious that the 51 year old billionaire CEO,from Long Island,NY of K-mart/ Sears,doesn’t care about any of his customers. He’s made his money. Apparently he’s kissing up to sodomites or Satan himself. Instead of being thankful to our Lord,especially during this Holy Season,and on his knees giving homage to our new born King,( the Prince of Peace), he has chosen to worship the prince of darkness. We all have a day of judgment awaiting us, and the only words that will matter are the Great Judge Jesus Christ’s words,"well done good and faithful servant". This billionaire CEO has a lot to answer for come his day of judgment. Needless to say, I won’t be shopping at K-mart anymore!

• those commercials that you have had are the most disgusting ads I have ever seen- The person that developed them should be fired -totally out of control– they certainlly are not doing good for the company

• I, too, am very offended with the Joe Boxer ad that has been airing this holiday season. After my initial disgust, I (and my wife) made the conscious decision not shop at Kmart this holiday season. We found that easy, as Walmart and Target have similar items at similar prices. But I think that our resolve will go beyond this holiday season and extend to ‘until further notice’.

I am not a prude by any means but this is just over the top. It’s something suitable to an adult station or perhaps even a 12am-3am time slot. Yes, I’m worried about young children seeing this and being desensitized to this sort of thing. But almost as much as this, what I find offensive is that Kmart has so little regard for it’s customers and for it’s would be customers to think that they would find this sort of thing acceptable. Is this your impression of your customer?

Or was this a round about outreach to the gay community????????????

• I am so disappointed in K-mart’s advertising……The Joe Boxer add is totally disgusting and my 14 year old grandaughter is so embarrased as am I when it airs. I will never visit or purchase any thing from K-Mart or Sears again. No wonder their business is faltering. Good Bye K-Mart and Sears

• I will never shop at your store again. Watching ‘It’s A Wonderful Life’; had to put up with your disgusting boxer commercial. Who are you people?

• Your ad that displays men shaking their hips in underwear is inappropriate and shows your total disregard for decency. Also your refusal to pull the ad and plans to do other such ads shows that you couldn’t care less less about the millions of negative comments made.
    If your company was really interested in serving the public in a positive way you would pull the ads and replace them with ads apologizing for your behavior.
    No wonder you have been struggling to stay in business.

• Today, I went to Kmart in Bossier City, Louisiana and witnessed the worst customer service from a cashier. As an elderly man stood in line behind four other people, the cashier spotted him, walked out of the line then proceeded to tell the man that she was not taking change tonight so if he’s paying with change she cannot check him out. Once the cashier went away, I asked the gentleman what did the cashier say, because she did not tell me anything about not accepting change. As we began a conversation, the man informed me that usually he pay for his items with quarters, and the last time he came in, he had $20 worth of quarters and the cashier did not like that so from now on, he was not allowed to pay with change. When it was my turn to check out, I asked the cashier, is it the company policy to not except change over a certain amount, she proceeded to tell me that cashiers have to get approval from a manager to accept a certain amount of change. After requesting a manager to clarify, I was told that their isn’t a policy and change can be accepted. Bottom line, this cashier was rude and unprofessional to an elderly customer because she had a previous experience where he paid for a $20 item using all quarters. The customer service at this place stinks.

• Of all the things to put on television ! Grown men in underwear doing a very sad and disturbing dance to promote your store ! There is enough with the youth of today walking around with their pants hanging down showing their underwear . This commercial shows nothing bad a very bad case of it’s okay to show them and make a world wide fool of yourself with your underwear showing !!!!! I am not knocking the dancers but they to should have thought about the MOVES that were involved in making this commercial ! There should have been concern on their part in concern of their own children seeing the commercial . The commercial in the Christmas spirit at all ! I don’t have children but some family members do . And when it comes on we encourage them NOT to present themselves in that manner of any stage of their lives . As you may know, i am not a fan of the commercial at all !!!!! I rate this as one of the most wrong way to make money or even look ! This is worse that the capital one commercial with Samuel L. Jackson the every d**n day line to promote their card . Soon after it was changed . So PLEASE really think about your commercials before they are shown . This is important parents that are trying to teach their children different ! Yes, i do have a lot to say about it there are even seniors that feel it is not a Christmas spirit at all some say they are sad to see the world fall so far to the point things like that are shown on television ! Next year please try and even pray on the type of commercials that ere put on !!!!!!

• I do not shop at K- Mart or do I intend to. The Joe Boxer ad is very offensive and vulgar. It looks like that K-Mart would do their best to keep consumers since they seemed to be doomed along with Sears. I find no humor in this commercial. It makes me wonder what kind of executives are in charge.

• Jingle Bell commercial goes too far. Get real KMart, stop airing that terrible spot.

• I was mortified with your most "boxer shorts" advertisement. I do not feel that it is a positive reflection of the company. If this is continued I will consider that it is a store(s) that I want to spend my money in. It is below class. Not funny at all. This also goes for your Sears stores, since you own them

• I to think joe boxer commercial is sick.Who ever thought of this cannot be thinking this will sell more joe boxers.All the men in my family said they would never wear anything from kmart again.we turn channel everytime this comes on.SHAME ON YOU

• I, too, found the Jingle Bells commercial to be tacky and disgusting, and embarrassing, I might add. Christmas is a sacred holiday to Christians. Kmart has made many a dollar off it. Clean up your advertising or I won’t be shopping there at all.

• KMART SUCKS. Okay, the stupid jingle bell commercial came on & my husband said WTH? Does that offend you? I looked up and went EUGH!!!! YES! I’m not some old prude either, my kids (19 & 23) thought it was disgusting as well. Talk about a stretch, just one more reason NOT to do any shopping at KMART, the dirt bag store.

• I am writing to you about your commercial about the boxer shorts and the bells. This is appalling, disgusting, and the most inappropriate commercial I have ever seen. What kind of message are you sending our kids and teenagers. I quess you have no morals or values. I dont know what possessed you to come up with such an ad. The K-Mart corporation obviously has no regard for the sexist way in which it protrays men . From this way forward I will no longer shop at K-Mart, until this demeaning commercial is taken off the air, and a public apology is made to all americans offended by your ad. S.A.M.

• Front
    End Manager Shamika (sp?) rude to customers and staff. Will discount damaged good for a customer and
    not another. I worked at the Colonie K-Mart (going out of business) for 6 days and she never called me
    by my name. I was referred to as "you". She would embarrass you in front of other staff and customers. Please do something about this.

• Purchased 2 baby monitors at Kmart the price on the bin was 19.99 when it was rung up the price was 21.99. the cost was 4,00 dollars more. they are not keeping up with their computer chanes. Watch what you charged at Kmart.

• I live in St. Petersburg, Florida, a half block from me on 66 street is my neighborhood kmart, in the past year it seems all i have been buying is junk! i bought two tablets for the teenagers and they would not come on when you hit the power button, it took 5 to 6 times. they talked us into trading for two more and they done the same thing! they did return my money. then a few months later i ordered a camcorder online from kmart, it was a vivitar, it came in the mail and i went to kmart and bought batteries for it, well the menu button didn’t work, power button ok, zoom button ok but no menu! i got most of my money back but they said they did not pay for the postage and handling. now i bought a battery for my scooter, 65.00 with a 9 month warranty, had it for 2 months now it won’t hold a charge, took it back to kmart with recite, the girl said she could not replace it and she said she would not refund my money, she was very rude and some of the things she said kind of sounded like she was accusing me of stealing the battery because i didn’t have the box. needless to say I’m done with kmart. walmart just gained a new customer, with as much trouble i had with kmart and other people with the same problems how long can they stay in business.

• cant stand the ghetto thug commercials u have advertised for back to school 2013. they r trashy and I dont want my kids thinking its ok to act that way. why on earth would u have a commercial like that.??? is walmart beating u so bad u think commercials like this will want us to shop there…just the opposit!!!! ITS HORRIBLE AND WE WONT SHOP AT KMART BECAUSE OF IT!!

• The Pasadena, MD Kmart is the worst!!! Poor customer service (heaven forbid a customer might need assistance); attitude from some employees when asked for help; refuse to honor a price found on THEIR website if you don’t order item online and pick-up in store! They lost a customer tonight (8/20/2013 around 8:15pm). The only bright spot are a couple of the cashiers, who are quite personable. Better to go the the big box store where the employees understand the meaning of "customer service".

• My 19 yr old disabled daughter was just fired by Kevin from the New Albany IN store…his reason…"just not a good fit"

• My child is a cashier that has humidity induced asthma. Since working at the Cromwell, CT Kmart, we have had to fill her inhaler rx 2 times. Normally, my child does not have to use her inhaler, but due to the temperature in the store, we now have to pay for the inhaler and take her to the doctor (and pay the copay for that) to explain why she is using it more now. Customers are constantly complaining about the heat. Any establishment based on sales KNOWS that the more comfortable the store, the longer people will stay and the more money they will make. How is it allowed to cause health problems for employees and customers??

• Today, 1 October 2012, was the last day I will ever shop in the K Mart store in Crofton MD. A person named Joann, at the customer service desk, had no one in line so I walked over to check out five items. She told me I would have to wait because others had been in other lines waiting longer. She pushed my purchase to the side and called another woman from the closest line to come over. This woman had a basket full. Then something screwed up and Joann had to start all over again. I never heard of such a thing. Both women involed were black. Was this because I was white or Joann just didn’t like the cut of my jib? When I see an empty check out aisle, I get in it. I don’t expect to be told about how long a person in another line has been waiting. She never called for a person from another line until I arrived in her customer service aisle. She was rude, bordering on spiteful.

• Stop in Kmart at oxion Hill MD onthe 7/9/12 at 3:20 pm to see a supervior about any job opening.The supervior said to me I dont have any sympathy for you and 500 more people keep calling me for a job,right in front of her long time friend,which was looking for a job to,was very mean,loud,and rude,I know the girlfriend got the job.I dont go in the store,I feel tremendous shame.

• Uniform Fire Code prohibits buisnesses from locking customers or employees in fenced areas. All areas must have exits to the outside clearly marked! Contact local Fire Marshals office.