Purcahsed a new computer and set it up 9/7/13. Had a problem installing a printer. Called canon, they helped and then noticed something in my ip address. He gave me an address about 35 miles away that i could take the computer or he said he could get a Microsoft tech to help me on the phone. That’s when he called pcupdate support llc. I then granted them access to my computer to get rid of the virus or spyware or whatever was there. I was transferred to a couple more people. They told me it would be $249.95 to fix the problem. They never asked for a credit card number which was strange, instead they asked for a check number.
After some period of time they told me everything was now fine and i would have support with them for any further problems for one year. They emailed me an invoice for the $249.95 to send a cheque to them at pcupdate support llc in Newark, Delaware, united states.
This morning i went to the bank to move money into the checking account to send off the check, but i had a funny feeling about that because the check would have my account number and bank routing number on it. I picked up a bank check instead. When i got home, i decided to turn on the computer and look for further info on this company and found a story very similar to mine.
I then called Microsoft and told them what had happened. They never heard of this company and didn’t know of any certified microsoft technicians working there. They then asked if i wanted them to run a scan on my computer. That was $106. Microsoft then found a whole lot of spyware that had been planted into my computer apparently by these people. It was in several administrator type files which would be able to track my banking, credit card info, etcetera! Microsoft also advised me to file a report with my local police department about this.