Homejoy Reviews

Most Recent Homejoy Complaints

Is Homejoy a Scam, Rip Off, or Fraud? WARN OTHER CONSUMERS By Sharing

Category: Cleaning Directory ListingPathjoy Listing

Super shady

I submitted a resume to Homejoy. After a few days, I received an e-mail with a questionnaire to basically see how I would handle certain situations that occasionally occur within the business. I took my time, completed and submitted them and a couple of days later, had a phone interview with Rinda Ko. I ended up “getting the job” but had to wait until they opened up an office in Phoenix. This was in December. I was told beginning of January.

After turning down several job interviews thinking I was set, was told by Rinda that due to expenses and inability to “find” an office, that my employment wouldn’t stay active because there’s no place for me to be employed. I was told she’d keep me updated, which never happened, as that e-mail was the last time I ever heard from Rinda. I was understanding. Until tonight, when I saw on the news that Homejoy is very active in Phoenix.

Which leads me to believe that I was dicked around and ended up losing out on what could have been some awesome jobs. No worries though, I have an even better job with a REAL business that pays up the a*s. And they never once dicked me around like she did.

Rinda, I hope you see this and know that I remember. I may have been understanding but your lack of professionalism and knowledge of how to run a business is probably why this company has so many bad reviews; consumer and employees. Surely hope you get your act together and learn what it is to be a boss, scout, whatever you “do.”

Don’t waste your time with this garbage. Ironically, I’d like to find another cleaning service to clean up the act of this one.

15 Most Recent Reviews About Homejoy

Submit a Complaint or Comment For Homejoy

24 Comments on "Homejoy"

HOW DUMB! I CAN’T “UNSUBSCRIBE” FROM THEIR ANNOYING EMAILS WITHOUT HAVING TO CALL THEIR 1-800 # AND BEING PLACED ON A LONG HOLD. : (

terrible service and totally unreliable. they cancelled then made a new date and cancelled again. on a day that i was expecting guests….

HORRIBLE company. Had to reschedule twice and no one ever showed up. Customer service acted like it was no big deal, finally admitted they did not have anyone in my area. BEWARE!!

Again, House Cleaner a NO SHOW and didn’t call. Don’t bother using this Business!

House cleaner no showed and didn’t call. I tried to call multiple times and was on hold forever. Don’t bother using this business. They are ultimately a scam.

I used a cleaner from Homejoy in March which I got from a AAA special offer. While she did a very good job, I shall not be using them again because it is a very disorganized, unprofessional business, at least in the Phoenix area. It is difficult to get a live person on the phone and none locally at all and e-mails are not responded to quickly.. The first person scheduled, canceled at the last minute and they had no back-up replacement, plus they could not schedule a cleaning at the date I really wanted it done, then sent me… Read more »

I am in Tempe and would love to know who is your cleaner! I’ve been using Homejoy since last fall but lately the quality has gone downhill.

This was the worst experience ever!! I had no idea I was doing business with an out of state company, that has such a miserable reputation. I should have read these comments, before I booked Homejoy. I won’t even go into all the reasons; I’m disgusted… everyone else’s comments about cover it!! I won’t use them again. And…..just try to reach someone by phone. That will never happen. After being put on hold for over 30 minutes, 3 different times, I called and selected the prompt for new customers. Funny…they quickly answer that line! When I said I would like… Read more »

Ditto

B.S. First time trying HomeJoy. There is no Joy in HomeJoy. First scheduled appointment confirmed, then cancelled day of, second appointment confirmed, then cancelled day of. Third appointment kept but forgot to put the "clean" in cleaning. Half the furniture not dusted, bathroom counter tops not cleaned thoroughly, wiped counter tops around existing toiletries. Special request instructions were to pay attention to kitchen floor and shower door. Forgot to move counter stools to sweep crumbs from underneath. Did not mop floors. I rescrubbed the shower door and it looks cleaner than after the "cleaning person" cleaned it. I will not… Read more »

You have hit this whole thing on the head..plus they run cleaners w/o complete back ground checks. Do not support this company. Any one who has worked for them should be reporting them.

Yes, the cleaners need to file reports and maybe a class action against them. Clients truly believe that HJ is bonded and carries a $6M in insurance and the don’t. HJ is also listed as a not for profit platform and claims they help US veterans when they have only contributed $15k to one veteran’s program. If a cleaner damages something or steals from the client the recovery costs are taken out of the cleaners pay. So they let the cleaner continue to work so that the cleaner can reimburse the company. Also it is not a platform because cleaners… Read more »

We just started using Homejoy and had our house broken into. They went right upstairs to our bedroom and took the cash and rings right out of our drawers!

Dont pretend you are "helping" out independent house cleaners. You are trying to profit from everyone elses work. Other house cleaning business pay just as good as you. And guess what they also pay: 1) For holidays off 2) For vacation time 3) For travel time to the houses 4) For mileage for using their vehicle. 5) Half of the social security and medicare as required by law. You guys pay $12/hour and the poor cleaner is left to cover travel time, vehicle wear and tear and both sides of social security taxes. The taxes alone takes almost $1 an… Read more »
R.S., you hit the nail on the head. Home Joy just recently opened in the Los Angeles area. They are going to be hit by the wrath of California Laws as pertains to subcontracting home cleaners. In California, home cleaner subcontracting companies are required to open a cleaning business as an employment agency. They are to advertise as an employment agency, and they are not allowed to advertise that their "independent workers" are licensed and insured. In fact, I know they are not licensed and insured. For one, there is no such thing as a house cleaning license in California.… Read more »

R.S. "Are they paying for the time it takes to drive to the home?" How many employers pay their workers for that?

I had my house cleaned by Home Joy this past week and the very next day someone broke in and stole 2 laptops and a camera. I don’t think they pay their workers enough… it leads to theft, robbery, and breaking and entering. Terrible. They won’t respond to any support requests. I have been unable to speak to a single representative or person on the phone or through email.

Did you know they recommend that their cleaners take photos?

Here’s a sample of the laws that I think Homejoy is breaking with respect to independent contractors, particularly in California as well as nationally: 1. Workers are not temporary, they are getting jobs on a repeat basis. Homes can be scheduled for cleans as frequently as every week. Customers are charged $5 more if the cleaner brings supplies. 2. Workers earn more than $600 per year. A weekly 1 bedroom, 1 bath calculates to 2.5 hours which as $12/hr = $30 to the cleaner. This equals $1.560 per year to the cleaner for this one home. 3. Workers buy their… Read more »

I’m surprised that their attorneys have not checked out IRS rules. They are already in trouble but don’t know it. The claim to hire contractors but the uniforms confirm that they are not contractors. And they have rules for these so called contractors.

This is a house of cards on so many levels.

I believe that Homejoy putting themselves out as a platform is not accurate. Homejoy is marketing themselves as a cleaning company. If this is the case, shouldn’t they pay their staff as an employee. Are they paying for the time it takes to drive to the home? What about vacation time? Overtime? Does their staff have workers compensation? Are their payroll taxes being withheld? According to this website http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/faq_independentcontrac… there seems to be several factors that show their staff to be employees. In fact, the top 2 bullet items (1. Whether the person performing services is engaged in an occupation… Read more »

We appreciate other’s opinions of our service, but disagree with the claims made above. We offer a platform where households are matched with independent cleaning professionals at $20 an hour. However, where other companies only pay minimum wage, we offer our partner cleaners $12 – $15 per hour for their work, and they keep any and all tips clients choose to give. It is a great flexible option for independent cleaners and small businesses who would like to be matched with additional jobs but need flexibility in their schedule and work area.

There is no flexibility in schedules. When a cleaner changes their days and hours they are unbooked for jobs already confirmed. A cleaner expecting to work on Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri and Sat that has made a change to their schedule, whether it be needing certain hours off during a specific date or changing their schedule they will see confirmed bookings for Tues and Weds removed. That is their “punishment” for believing they have a flexible schedule. Those are the FACTS

Homejoy you said – "However, where other companies only pay minimum wage, we offer our partner cleaners $12 – $15 per hour for their work, and they keep any and all tips clients choose to give." I say – B.S. As a 28 year veteran in the cleaning industry and one who is majorly involved in the industry associations legitimate companies do not pay their cleaning staff minimum wage, in fact the average cleaner (per national statistics) makes the same as you are offering to pay if not when they first start work than within their first 6 months of… Read more »