Dangers come in many different forms. Dangers such as the hazards associated with fire in the house or from strangers are things that are visible and can be easily combated or prevented. However, some of the more dangerous situations involve dangers that are not visible. One of biggest problems is the way that our food is handled, both in the home and outside the home. The problems with mishandling food have been known to cause sickness and illness in people.
Food Handling Safety
- Food Handling Safety – Informative page from the USDA which provides the basics of food handling.
- Safe Food Handling – Web page which contains a number of helpful hints on how to safely handle foods.
- Safe Handling of Food – Information explaining proper practices in food handling.
- Safe Food Practices – Useful page which contains practices that are acceptable for safe food handling.
- Food Handling Rules – List of ten rules that should be followed in order to maintain safe food handling.
- Food Safety – Page with information and links to topics related to safe food handling.
- Safe Food Handling Guidelines (PDF) – Publication which provides several helpful ideas on how to maintain safe food handling.
If food is not handled properly, people can be susceptible to dangers that can affect people’s health and well-being. Problems with food-borne illnesses can lead to food poisoning, salmonella and many other illnesses. If food is not handled properly, or stored correctly, this may lead to sicknesses by people who eat the mishandled food.
Therefore it is vitally important that people handle food properly both at home and in the food industry. It is important that food is stored properly, washed correctly and that people serving the food, handle it properly. Thus reducing the possibility of illness or sickness.
You can see current complaints related to dining here. Or for more specific complaint categories select one of the following:
- Bars / Clubs / Lounge
- Chain Restaurants
- Deli / Bakery
- Delivery Services | Take-out
- Fast Food
- Party Services & Stores
- Vending Machines Services
To help you understand the importance of proper food safety and the procedures that should be followed, we have assembled the following resources. These links and information can help you remain safe at home as well as at your local restaurant.
- Food-borne Illness and Disease – Fact sheets which cover information about food-borne illnesses and how to prevent them.
- Food Poisoning – Article with information on the bacteria and viruses which can cause food poisoning.
- First Aid – Web page with information from the Mayo Clinic on how food-borne illnesses can be treated.
- Food-borne Illness – Information for consumers discussing many aspects of food-borne illnesses.
- Types of Food-borne Disease – Article with information on the various kinds of disease and illness passed through food or water.
Home Kitchen Food Safety
- Home Kitchen Food Safety Checklist (PDF) – Helpful publication with a checklist and information on how to be safe in the kitchen.
- Food Safety for the Family – Family friendly page which contains useful information for all members of the family.
- Food and Hygiene Facts – Web page which contains facts and information on food and how to properly handle them.
- Home Food Safety Tips – Useful page on home food safety with tips and an interesting quiz.
- Food Safety and Hygiene – Information for families on the proper handling of food in order to remain healthy.
Restaurant Food Safety
- Food Safety Guidelines – Useful page for restaurants outlining many food safety guidelines that should be followed.
- Food Safety Reporting – Informative page for consumers on how they can report a problem with food safety in restaurants.
- Food Handling Practices – Information from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention on how restaurants should properly handle food.
- Food Safety Information – Helpful web page with information on food safety and inspections for restaurants.
- New Food Safety Regulations – Information on he new standards that restaurants need to follow about illness prevention and food safety.
Food Safety Resources
- Food Safety Resources – Resourceful page with information and links by topic about food safety.
- Resources – Information from the CDC with a collection of resources concerning food safety.
- Food Safety Resources – Informative web site with a number of resources that are organized by topic.
- Food Safety Information – Information for the restaurant industry with a collection of links about food safety.
- Food Safety Sites – Web page with information and links about food handling and food safety.
- Food Safety – Helpful web site with information on food safety as well as helpful hints about proper nutrition.
- Food Safety Links – Resourceful page from Ohio State University with information and links about food safety.
- Food Safety Information – Informative page with material to learn more about nutrition and food safety.
Last Updated On: February 17, 2014