To All disgruntled Authors - Tate Publishing

Tate Publishing on the Verge of Bankruptcy

Tate Publishing has fallen on hard times, unable to pay royalties to their authors over the last two quarters and past due to each of their vendors. At this point Tate Publishing has not paid author royalties for two quarters even though they claimed royalty payments to their authors as income to the IRS in 2014.

Tate Publishing owes six figures to Fed Ex, is past due on their office lease, Houchen Bindery (hard cover printer) has black balled them from printing, Terminex and other vendors.

President and CEO has instructed staff to only pay royalties to authors that call in and complain more than three times.

All disgruntled Tate Publishing authors do NOT need to contact the Better Business Bureau (BBB). The BBB does not resolve claims and Richard Tate is a board member currently trading printing capabilities for an A+ BBB rating.

If you are an author who has been wronged by Tate Publishing join the rest of us and contact the Oklahoma City Attorney General’s office (Public Protection Unit) 405-521-3921. The OK Attorney General currently has an open investigation against Tate Publishing.

Current investigations against Tate Publishing are regarding past due royalty payments and internal and external fraud.

We have to come together to bring justice!

Additional Information Added  ON: June 1, 2015   BY: Wenona Clarice Thompson

To all disgruntled Authors 2

For Tate Publishing Representatives or Owners

Comments About Tate Publishing Review: To All disgruntled Authors

• Wendy Harvey

I am also a Tate Publishing Author. I wrote a children’s book and paid the $1,500 fee in June 2016 to have my book published. To date I do not have my book published and do not know how I can have my money refunded. How unethical not to at least return my money for not having published my book. Who has surplus money to just throw away for services not rendered. I surely do not!

• Matt

Should my girlfriend republish her book through amazon since tate closed their doors? Im not buying into this form they want authors to fill out. But then again, my girlfriend doesnt care about the money from them and wants to sign it and be done with them. Help please

• Matt

Should we even sign this form that tate is asking authors to sign? My girlfriend is the author and has been done with them for some time. And we know a lawsuit is pointless if they are going to go bankrupt. But she wants to be able self publish this book on her own through amazon or whoever. Isnt Tate already breached the contract by what they are doing? Anyways. Any help would be great

• CS

I paid $4000 had my book published and sold many copies. Never received any royalties and never received the 200 books plus the $4000 was supposed to be refunded after the book started to sell, never happened. If anyone is doing a class action or such I would like to be included melnrs@charter.net

• Shaudonna Bryant

I came across this article http://www.thelostogle.com/2017/01/19/rip-tate-publishing/ It says Tate Publishing closed their doors. Does anyone know what is happening?

• Roseann Sparacia

I Shaudonna, I published two children’s books with Tate and I received an email telling that they are in transition but they have been shut down for not paying their vendors. The email I received asked me to fill out a form and send them $50 so I can get my files. i’m hesitant to do that because I don’t trust them. If anyone has done this and actually received their files,
      please let me know. Roseann

• Eddie Mae Rose

please let me know how to file a lawsuit, or what would be the better way to go

• Shaudonna Bryant

Are there any updates on the situation with Tate Publishing has anyone initiated a class action lawsuit yet?

• Ray Toller

I`m a new author with Tate and had my release of Letters to the Editor – Denied on Feb, 9th 2016. I`m out he $500.00 retainer fee which was reduced they claimed, and while I did get my first and only book order, I`m unable via varied reasons to afford to market them myself as yet. All I`d like them to tell me is when I could expect to receive royalty payments from the limited retail store sales, or such as Barnes and Noble and Amazon books where I do know I`ve had sales. My book has a Facebook page as its title and I`ve been utilizing my veteran organizations to promote it. My checks, while small increments via Tate direct sales took forever to receive and then only after many emails sent back and forth to at least 3 people there. There`s no big corporate secrets to hide by not divulging pertinent info to the authors of the books, so why the secrecy unless something underhanded is occurring ? Anyone else have any idea of when they receive such royalty payments if ever ? My full name as author is Elmer Ray Toller Jr. in honor of my late father, and since he was in the Korean War, US Army and I was USAF `78 – `82 I honor all who served. I just would like for people to be treated as humanely as should be done, nor will I quit pressing Tate until all resolutions are reached.

• Nelda Schoggin

I was published with Tate back in March of 2014..and that missed my release date by approximately a month. I paid them around $3000.00 which included the website [ not delivered on schedule] the TV trailer [wayyyy off schedule and has never been seen on tv as stated and paid for] they say i have no books selling , however i know for a fact that some books have sold and i have received one royalty check for . 99 cents. Drawn up on Oct 31st, 2015 and i received it on Dec 2, 2015.My contract also included marketing and i see nothing happening nor do i know of anything happening on their end. I have sent them numerous e-mails for which i never get a answer to, i have called and can never talk to whom i am looking to talk to. I also have took note to the FACT.. if you do not order a fairly large number of books you get ignored. Ordering 10, 15,25… they have no interest in. I am so unhappy with them. I now understand why they seek new Authors, because they can bulldog them and get away with it, I want all of my copyright back and my money. Scammers fits and embarrassed is a mild description as to how i feel in front of my family and friends. My Dreams have been shattered by them.

• Denise

Are you really serious? You really received money. Well I didn’t and my books are bestsellers. THEY are CROOKS!!! and that’s the gospel

• I’ve been with Tate since 2010 and have published three books with them…current have a third book under contract. From my experience, they have done everything the said they would. They gave me a chance when no one else would. I pay no additional money, except to buy my inventory books and they NEVER push me to buy. My novels are Twisted Roots, A light into the Darkness and The Lost Scrolls–if you’d like to look me up. Second edition of book one is coming out in the fall and I’ve contracted the third in the series. I will acknowledge as of recent, the books are edited in the Phillipipeans (but a lot of the big six do this) and you are responsible for making your book as error free as you can. They don’t do conceptual editing if you don’t ask–which I do. However they don’t print anything until you, the author, signs off on it. Just my experience with the company and I do get checks every quarter. :-).

• Claire Wintters

Tate Publishing is
    in my backyard and I feel like the biggest fool in the world. I am embarrassed
    in front of my family and friends as I was told by Tate Publishing that they
    were a traditional Christian Publisher, only to find out that they are a VANITY
    press like Xlibris. More than half of their staff is out of Cebu Philippines,
    and my book has suffered from it. Tate Publishing is the biggest scam I’ve ever
    been a part of. I consider myself pretty intelligent but I should have know
    something was up when Tate first called me. The price to publish started at
    $4,000 at the beginning of the month, then half off and finally I accepted at
    $800 on the last day of the month. Regardless I’m only out $800 but the
    embarrassment to be associated with Tate Publishing makes me feel like I lost a
    million dollars. Watch out President Ryan Tate is best friends with Peter
    Popoff of the Peter Popoff Ministries. Soon Tate will be selling…I mean
    giving away “Miracle Water”! My only suggestion when Tate Publishing
    calls is to change your phone number!

• Denise

Amen. You told the truth. They took my childhood memories and crushed me. They are CRoOKS and God is watching.

• Wenona Clarice Thompson

Look this is hilarious that Allen Finch from Tate Publishing will post on here elaborating on the lies and misdirection that Tate Publishing sends every author from the very beginning. I do not need to go into a long explanation of what went wrong at Tate. It is the same as everyone else. This so called Christian company is a scam. I paid for 200 books back in January and still have not received them. This is my property and have since taken Tate Publishing to small claims court and won. Even after I won President Ryan Tate would not stop calling me giving me every excuse in the world as to why my money could not be refunded. He is a character in general but the blabber that he was spewing was above and beyond coherent. It sounded very much like when he prayed for and then fired 25 employees a few years back. Google Tate Publishing fires 25 employees if you are even thinking of singing with Tate Publishing and it should be reason enough to stay clear. Regardless there is a huge class action law suit currently underway and anyone who has been wronged by Tate Publishing needs to contact the Oklahoma City Attorney General (405) 521-3921, they are happy to take your call.

• Wenona Clarice Thompson

a comment from a friend…

• Victoria Strauss

Please contact Writer Beware: beware [at] sfwa.org. Thank you.

• GregAtkinson

Hi. How do we know you’re who you say you are? You’re bio on Facebook says you work for Tate. I messaged you on Facebook and never heard back from you. If you are sincere and honest, you can get in touch with me via Facebook, Twitter (@GregAtkinson) or my email greg@gregatkinson.com.

• Wenona Clarice Thompson

Thank you for writing. Since posting I have had so many current Tate authors contact me. Please contact Liz Fullbright at the OKC Attorney Generals office (405) 522-2801 and register your complaint. Keep calling until you get through. Their is a current investigation that is coming to a head and the more authors involved the better. This is the only way we can make Tate Pub open their books and show us the true sales of our books.

• Angelique Anderson

I have called and left numerous messages with Fullbright. She returned my call this morning, but I missed it. What else do i need to do? I know others who have been ripped off by them as well.