Tate Publishers accounting for book sales - Tate Publishing

Has any authors who contracted with Tate Publishing seen any accounting for book sales or received a check from sales of their book? Or better yet, has anyone seen any advertising or promotion of their book by Tate publishing?

If so, Please contact me Dennis Sprague at airmech@frontier.net I don’t think they are performing anything they say they do. If they do they probably promote books in a free publication like a local high school news paper.

I have contacted them several times to be told They would get back too me, but they never do.

For Tate Publishing Representatives or Owners

Comments About Tate Publishing Review: Tate Publishers accounting for book sales

• A. Beall

I’m sorry that this person is so angry. I am a Tate author and though I have had some frustrations, I have not had his experience with Tate. I have found the Marketing Team helpful and have had to turn down some of the book signings they set up for me. I do wish they would do more with book buyers to get them to want my book and it would be helpful if they established more opportunities to be interviewed on radio or at newspapers. I correspond weekly and sometimes daily with people at Tate. I have had times when I wished they would solve something sooner, or communicate more directly, but they do correspond and I also have phone numbers which I can use to contact my Author Service Representative and a publicity man. I like my book trailer though it is nothing real fancy, for a first time unknown author, I feel fortunate to even have a trailer. I figured as an unknown I would have to do a lot of work to sell my book and I do. A lot of work. I think the cost that Tate charges (for publicity) is much more reasonable than say what WEst Bow or Cross Books charges ( self-publishing company and a vanity press). Tate also provides editors and illustrators as part of the contract, and a website, at least my contract did. However, I chose to illustrate my own book. They were fine with that. Tate is not a vanity press or self-publishing company, it is a cross between a self-publishing company and a traditional press. My contract also provided that my characters from my stories belonged to me, so I can take them somewhere else if I want to. I would suggest that a writer, examine his contract with Tate carefully and ask himself if he puts a certain amount of money into his book, if he can afford to lose that money if he doesn’t sell enough copies himself to cover his investment. Unknown authors are a hard sell so a new writer has to plan on doing a lot of work from the ground up. Tate can call a newspaper for you or a radio, but if they’ve never heard your name chances are that they won’t set up an interview.

• Wenona Clarice Thompson

I am sick to my
    stomach having ever been associated with Ryan Tate and Tate Publishing. I was one of 8 Book Acquisition
    representatives for about 3 years at Tate Publishing. It started off as a great noble cause and
    much like the authors that are drawn to Tate Publishing, I was excited to be
    working for a Christian company who from the outside seemed accountable.

I’m writing today
    because as my employment at Tate Publishing grew, I was exposed to the ugly
    truth of Tate Publishing. Tate
    Publishing is a company built around smoke and mirrors. Ryan and Richard rely on that tactic through
    their internal hiring process and in turn through the acquisition process of
    selling to an author. Tate Publishing is
    the worst kind of Vanity Press in the business, they sell authors on the
    perception that they are a “Traditional” publisher but that is not
    the case at all. They sell authors that
    only a single percentage of manuscripts are chosen and that is not the case at
    all. They smere that number by taking
    the percentage of submissions that actually pay Tate Publishing money and count
    that as “accepted” when in fact a contract goes out to 99.5% of every
    manuscript that is submitted to Tate. If
    you are an author and if you receive a contract from Tate Publishing. Don’t
    feel special, everyone receives a contract.

Most authors appreciate Tate Publishing through the acquisition process. But again Tate is “selling”
    something so of course they are nice.
    Once your money has been received Ryan Tate could care less if an author
    takes another step forward. He has your
    money and the smoke and mirrors fooled one more.

The Publishing
    contract is a “snake oil” sales pitch from the start. I left the company when Tate Publishing
    changed the contract to state that authors were paying for marketing and
    publicity versus publishing. That is the
    biggest lie of them all. Once authors
    books are publishing the Director of Marketing Mark Mingle directs his staff
    not to answer any author calls or emails unless they are contacting their rep
    to purchase books. Once your book is
    published you will receive an email PR blast that goes to general email
    addresses that do not matter. You will receive a weak book trailer and Tate
    Publishing makes up impression numbers to try and impress the author. Tate Publishing’s marketing department is the
    biggest joke of the Tate Publishing contract.
    They are only there to sell authors their own product and their goals
    are set monthly on doing so. Currently
    the Tate Publishing marketing department monthly goal is $410,000.

I’m writing today to warn potential authors to
    look elsewhere, anywhere else… Tate Publishing does not and can not live up
    to what they promise up front and in their contract. If you are a current Tate author you need to
    contact the Oklahoma Attorney Generals office and register your complaint:
    405-522-2801.

They have received
    an overwhelming number of complaints from authors who have been swindled by
    this publishing wolf lying in sheep’s clothing. Also Key Marketing which is
    supposed to be a third party Publicity firm working on behalf of Tate authors “IS”
    in fact Tate Publishing. Seriously, Tate
    Publishing is one lie after another feeding on first time authors.